Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    2008 Specialized Allez Elite Compact, 1981 Raleigh Super Record 10-sp, Trek 4900 MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vented sunglasses

I've been thinking about getting new cycling-specific sunglasses. Some models have little vents cut into the top of the lenses--I assume to minimize fogging? Does anyone have sunglasses with this feature? Is it effective? Should I care?
    2008 Specialized Allez Elite Compact
    1981 Raleigh Super Record
    Trek 4900 MTB
    My blog: "Bike Noob" http://bikenoob.wordpress.com

el padre
    My Bikes
    Linear,
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In Austin TX, would you have any trouble with fogging?? I am not the right one to give you an actual answer cause I buy the 'el-cheepo' shades.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got Rudy Project Kerosenes with vented lenses. I do a fair amount of riding in cool damp weather, and they don't fog up as long as I keep moving, but that's true with just about any glasses.

SP

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, after, yakking about sticker shock, I have a confession to make. My sunglasses are obscenely expensive, but to me they're worth it. Because I do a lot of photography, I'm nuts about good lenses. I also find most sunglasses to be very uncomfortable. I finally found a pair of very comfy shades with extraordinarily good polarized lenses, which do not fog up. They're made by a company called Maui Jim. I won't tell you the price (I've somehow erased that painful memory), but I would guess that Maui Jim is a very rich man. The shades are not cycling specific, but they work well on the bike.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have Cycling specific glasses and Like Jet-- Mine were not in the cheap range. Have tried quite a few over the years- And I have settled on Rudy Project glasses. Don't know the specific model but never had any trouble with any of them till the wife sat on my "NEW" pair just 3 weeks after I got them and How could I tell her that they Cost a lot more than her I-Pod and mobile phone put together.

On the fogging- I have mates that always fog when going up hills at slow speed. I don't and I think it is in the fitting of the glasses. Rudy make each model in a variety of sizes and then there are different models for small or large heads. Then there are the actual lens's so you just pay the money and hope the wife does not find out.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Stevens Strada 600
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got these about a month ago. They have vents and three set of lenses. Photochromic, grey and clear. I quite like them.
    http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_d...=1210281367506

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    look into the tofosi brand they are not very expensive and they have vents .

My Bikes
    Sun EZ-Tad SX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got a pair of sunglasses at Target for $19.99 that has vents in the top outer corners. They seem to work pretty well.
    - Bob
    Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.
    -- Will Rogers

My Bikes
    Parlee Z-4 2001 Fisher Sugar 1 Macalu Ti
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rainycamp View Post
    I've been thinking about getting new cycling-specific sunglasses. Some models have little vents cut into the top of the lenses--I assume to minimize fogging? Does anyone have sunglasses with this feature? Is it effective? Should I care?
    I ride with Rudy Projects (onyx? can never recall) with a slight vent in each corner. I have some fogging issues in the winter XC skiing. If I stop after a long hard pull and my jacket is open to vent some heat they will indeed fog then. Riding? never had a problem.
    Admittedly, you can get the same deal with much cheaper glasses (though beware of cheapo lenses, the don't protect the eyes nearly as well). I use the Rudy's because I can clip my prescription lens onto the inside of the frame.
    And you know that notion just crossed my mind.

My Bikes
    Waterford 1200, Raleigh Record converted to a single speed.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the Tiffosis and love them. They have 3 lenses, grey, clear and amber. I use them on both my bike and the motorcycle. The service from the company is fantastic. I broke the clear lense, lost a nose piece and the temple pads wore out. I contacted the bike shop where I got them and Tiffos sent me all the new parts FOR FREE! The vents work well too. Nothing is perfect, but they clear much faster than those without the vents.

I think Nashbar has them for about $40 right now.

My Bikes
    Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have three pair of sunglasses. Two are pretty expensive. The third, are much cheaper and by Performance with vents. When its hot or clammy , I wear the vented glasses. I say, vents work at reducing foggy lenses. I almost prefer my cheapo sunglasses for that reason.
    Pray for the Dead and Fight like Hell for the Living

^ Since January 1, 2012

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rdmjr View Post
    I got a pair of sunglasses at Target for $19.99 that has vents in the top outer corners. They seem to work pretty well.
    - Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by 3dsteve
    look into the tofosi brand they are not very expensive and they have vents
    I have both of the above and the lenses never fog up.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yen View Post
    I have both of the above and the lenses never fog up.
    You are lucky. The worst is on a really drippy day with fog about. I've had to put my sunglasses low to my nose and look over them in order to see. They were so saturated with moisture. Much less so with the vented glasses.
    Pray for the Dead and Fight like Hell for the Living

^ Since January 1, 2012