My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Some days the bear gets you...........

and some days you get the bear.

Just got my new set of budget bike brifters in the mail from an Ebay seller. Shimano has updated SORA to 9 speed. The left shifter is 2/3 with trim and both shifters have a built in gear indicator. The down shift button on the side is still there but seems to be slanted downward with a distinct campy flavor. Best part, new in the box with cables and hardware for $90. (this is less than half of msrp) Those rebuilding bikes on a budget could do worse than this. I won't fill the forum with pics as there are ample views at Shimano and several sellers.

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know what you mean MAXX,

I was descending fast on Glendora Mountain Road one day, all leaned over coming around a blind corner . . .
    and there was a bear, crossing the road, right in my line!

I was able to swerve and just miss the bear, but I "almost" got the bear. And if I'd hit the pavement, bleeding to death, the bear would have gotten me (probably).

This doesn't have anything to do with SORA shifters, but this is a thread about bears. Right?

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR View Post
    I know what you mean MAXX,

I was descending fast on Glendora Mountain Road one day, all leaned over coming around a blind corner . . .
    and there was a bear, crossing the road, right in my line!

I was able to swerve and just miss the bear, but I "almost" got the bear. And if I'd hit the pavement, bleeding to death, the bear would have gotten me (probably).

This doesn't have anything to do with SORA shifters, but this is a thread about bears. Right?

Rick / OCRR
    I will bear with you because we all have burdans to bear. I will not however bare with you as that burden would be to great...........

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
    I will not however bare with you as that burden would be to great...........

Thank you for that. I get a headache just thinking about the possibilities. Anybody got a Bayer aspirin?
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will bear with you because we all have burdans to bear. I will not however bare with you as that burden would be to great...........
    How about just sharing that pic of you and your mates in your red spandex?
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No Gee,

The bear that almost got me was Spandex Free (yeah, I checked).

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    1976 Apollo Mk IV, mid-'80s Miyata touring bike, mid-'80s Miyata mtn bike, 2007 Trek 6500 mtn bike, 2008 Trek Madone 5.2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would never ride bare.
    Or ride on a bear.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My friend Barry who lives in Barrington was riding a bare framed fixie he just built. It was barely finished, he had yet to paint it with a bare coat of Behr paint. He was riding the Barrington MUP just approaching the hamlet of Bear Creek when he suddenly came upon a bear who was eating wild berries. Barely able to scream, Barry ...

to be continued...

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    My friend Barry who lives in Barrington was riding a bare framed fixie he just built. It was barely finished, he had yet to paint it with a bare coat of Behr paint. He was riding the Barrington MUP just approaching the hamlet of Bear Creek when he suddenly came upon a bear who was eating wild berries. Barely able to scream, Barry ...

to be continued...
    ...saw his life flash before his eyes. He remembered his salad days as a football star at Alabama, playing for coach Paul "Bear" Bryant. As his life flashed before him, he remembered leading his team to victory over the California Golden Bears. Barry also recalled his days as a banker for Bear Stearns. He quit that job during the bear market of '08 when he could no longer bear the bare bulb by which he bore into unbearably boring bare-bones baloney. He then became part-time barista at the Barely Legal Bar and Grill. That gave Barry plenty of time to barrel along the Barrington MUP. But now was no time for baring his soul. He decided to reach in his pocket for some gummi bears and....

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Travis View Post
    ...saw his life flash before his eyes. He remembered his salad days as a football star at Alabama, playing for coach Paul "Bear" Bryant. As his life flashed before him, he remembered leading his team to victory over the California Golden Bears. Barry also recalled his days as a banker for Bear Stearns. He quit that job during the bear market of '08 when he could no longer bear the bare bulb by which he bore into unbearably boring bare-bones baloney. He then became part-time barista at the Barely Legal Bar and Grill. That gave Barry plenty of time to barrel along the Barrington MUP. But now was no time for baring his soul. He decided to reach in his pocket for some gummi bears and....
    Oh, the suspense! It's unbearable!
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post

and some days you get the Beer!
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Travis View Post
    .............barely regained his balance as continued to bear down on the bear. "I'll swap my bears for your berries" he taunted, not quite realizing that, barren as the Barrington MUP was of any other souls who were willing to bear the weather, his demise might not be noted for days. Why, his corpse would be barely recognizable when the bear was finished with it! The bear flinched.................................
    Last edited by Monoborracho; 05-09-08 at 06:36 AM.
    Most economic fallacies derive from the tendency to assume that there is a fixed pie, that one party can gain only at the expense of another.....Milton Friedman

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Bear with me as I interrupt this tale of the woodsie bear. I believe that the bare facts will bear out that I bear responsibility for this post. To save our sanity I must ask your forbearance as this great load has brought a barren feeling to my soul. It is simply more than I can bear.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bear with me as I interrupt this tale of the woodsie bear. I believe that the bare facts will bear out that I bear responsibility for this post. To save our sanity I must ask your forbearance as this great load has brought a barren feeling to my soul. It is simply more than I can bear.
    Maddmaxx,

You need a little comfort food. How about some yummy tummy cookie cutter treats from the most em-bear-assingly bad cookbook title ever--Cooking with Pooh.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bikin' and Hikin' RockyTopBiker's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Lemond Reno, Diamondback Topanga Mountain Bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I killed my first "bar" when I was only three!!
    "Put me on a highway. Show me a sign. Take it to the limit one more time"
    -The Eagles

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you stand on one foot and squint this looks like a dead bear.
    Most economic fallacies derive from the tendency to assume that there is a fixed pie, that one party can gain only at the expense of another.....Milton Friedman

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix - Look 566 - Jamis Coda Elite
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was so funny I could barely read it, I laughed so hard.
    George

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is all bery, bery funny!
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I should have saved this post for a bull market................................

My Bikes
    Parlee Z-4 2001 Fisher Sugar 1 Macalu Ti
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    whew! Fangs a lot. Time to sheath those punny claws or go into hid(e)ing. What a tail! More than i could....urp!
    And you know that notion just crossed my mind.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For some reason, that "bare necessities" song is now stuck in my head. Thanks. Thanks a lot.
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

My Bikes
    Parlee Z-4 2001 Fisher Sugar 1 Macalu Ti
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    huh....thought for sure there would be some punsters on this thread. Well...off to ride! I have a fur way to go.
    And you know that notion just crossed my mind.