Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OT: Looking for a flag case

Thought this might be a good age group to ask...

Two U.S. flags were presented to us during my dad's memorial service by members of the LAPD honor guard. One was folded during the ceremony and given to my mom. The other (already folded) was given to my brother. One was given in recognition of my dad's service to the country (U.S. Marines), the other for his service to the city of Los Angeles (retired LAPD).

My mom has given her flag to me, and I reluctantly (but very thankfully) accepted.

I'd like to buy a case for it. Hubby fished around today and found this site.

Being the research hound that I am, I plan to research this like everything else until I find a nice case in which to store and display this very special flag. My brother plans to hire a local carpenter to build him a case but I don't know of one near me.

Anybody know a reputable resource? I don't know where to begin, what to look or ask for, what to avoid in materials, what's an unreasonably low/high price, etc. Just looking for suggestions to start.

Thanks,
    Jen
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    Randonee
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yen;

You will find a host of sites carrying what you are looking for. Here is a link to one: Flag Cases
    F Thomas

"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving."
    Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yen, we may be able to help. Please send a note with more details about what you are looking for.

el padre
    My Bikes
    Linear,
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another possibility would be the local funeral home...probably not much choice as far as styles but they might have some "connections". Just an idea, since you are looking for all possibilities.

My Bikes
    Giant OCR2, Motobecane Fantom Trail, Specialized Hard Rock, Giant Nutra
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had very good service and prices buying through the American Legion. I consider them very reputable.

http://emblem.legion.org/AmericanLeg...412269A63CC4FA
    Last edited by ad6mj; 05-09-08 at 08:17 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was in a Michael's store the other day. They had a very nice one. Don't know if they are in California or not, but that is an option to see one in person if they are.
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have your brother carpenter build two.
    And Thank You to you Father for his service.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terrierman View Post
    I was in a Michael's store the other day. They had a very nice one. Don't know if they are in California or not, but that is an option to see one in person if they are.
    Michael's is where I got my flag case. They are in California. And check in your area for a flag store.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

My Bikes
    in my sig line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    *Any* good framing shop will have them.
    That which does not kill me has made a massive tactical blunder.
    Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen. Louis L'Amour
    '07 Giant Cypress WSD "Radagast the Beige-and-Black" * '97 (?) Bianchi Premio "Orion" * '09 Trek Allant "The Black Pearl"

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone. You've given me ideas that I hadn't thought of. Usually I'm pretty good at thinking of resources, but I must be tired (which the dark circles under my eyes can attest to). A full day devoted to gardening today with a bike ride in the middle helped. I remembered that there is a flag shop on my route to work, and there is a Michael's in town.

Thanks again.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you know the details of your Dad's USMC service, such as rank, dates of service, etc, you might be able to get ahold of Public Affairs at Camp Pendleton and get some help putting together a "Shadow Box" with the flag for his military service. They might be able to show you the layout of his emblem of rank and ribbons.
    You might even be able to get the info from the nearest USMC Recruiting Station.
    Silver Eagle Pilot

Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try Award Masters web site. They ship more flags nationally than the other award stores. They can do the triangular flag boxes or the flag above a shadow box as mentioned. Go to USMC.mil for the service ribbons and his stripes as he progressed in his career. You should have his ribbons in the correct order and one of each of the rate stripes in the black metal devices, against a red background. His qualification badges for *****, ******, M-60, grenade etc. below the ribbons. I have seen many with small photographs of significant tours' locations with the appropriate rate stripes. Any qualifications such as parachutist, aircrewman or pilot, as applicable should be fixed above the ribbons. Usually his name, retiremant rate and branch of service along with DOB and DOD will be on a brass emblem on the flag box. A large Eagle, Globe and Anchor (EGA) should be affixed in the shadow box. this can be either brass or the uniform matte black devices.

If he has any significant medals such as Medal of Honor, Silver or Bronze Stars, Distinguished Flying Cross or a Navy Cross the medal should be mounted in order of precedence. The MOH should have its own shadow box with appropriate information on its award and the citation framed and matted.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

My Bikes
    07 Rivendell Atlantis, 80's Mondonico, 91 Cinelli ATB, 83 Schwinn Peleton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 97 Klein Stage Comp, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM, 84 Bridgestone 200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yen, you probably already got your flag case, but I just saw them on Sierra Trading Post for 40% off. They were originally sold at Orvis.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/3...play-Case.html

I'm just now reading the rest of this thread, and there sure is a wide range of prices for something that is so similar and doesn't use much wood.