Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (http://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Clueless bike photo o' the day (http://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/416203-clueless-bike-photo-o-day.html)

BengeBoy 05-08-08 08:54 PM

Clueless bike photo o' the day
 
This photo was used to illustrate a story about triathlons today in the New York Times:

http://i26.tinypic.com/2w4cmdd.jpg

Nice triathlon bike.

taxi777 05-08-08 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BengeBoy (Post 6662774)
This photo was used to illustrate a story about triathlons today in the New York Times:

http://i26.tinypic.com/2w4cmdd.jpg

Nice triathlon bike.

WTF!!!

Louis 05-08-08 09:07 PM

Lots of research went into that.:rolleyes:

Dchiefransom 05-08-08 09:08 PM

From that tire in the picture, it looks like triathlons in New York must be pretty rough.

fthomas 05-08-08 09:27 PM

They must have borrowed the bike messengers bike!

ART Gear

Asinine Reproduction of Triathlon Gear

maddmaxx 05-08-08 10:01 PM

Not only that, but one of the more rare left handed drive models.

skiph 05-08-08 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maddmaxx (Post 6663140)
Not only that, but one of the more rare left handed drive models.

Ummm, I think it's upside down.

Note the rear derailleur cable running on TOP of the chain stay.

Hobartlemagne 05-08-08 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maddmaxx (Post 6663140)
Not only that, but one of the more rare left handed drive models.

The bike is upside down

WalterMitty 05-09-08 07:23 AM

It's kinda one of my hobbies to pick apart advertising/movies/political pictures for the errors. Graphical Arts types will routinely flip images creating objects that don't exist or will copy and paste stock photos that have no relation to the content subject.

I can understand that most of these projects don't allow the time and effort to get it right, but it's still fun to "find Waldo" in movie posters ads and other sorts of media.

The thing that disturbs me is when this kind of thing shows up in news or advocacy media as evidence of some point.

BengeBoy 05-09-08 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WalterMitty (Post 6664240)
It's kinda one of my hobbies to pick apart advertising/movies/political pictures for the errors. Graphical Arts types will routinely flip images creating objects that don't exist or will copy and paste stock photos that have no relation to the content subject.

One of the things that used to drive me crazy in my youth is when a motorcycle would show up in a movie and the sound editor would pick a totally inappropriate sound clip for the motorcycle's engine noise -- like, using the sound of a 4-stroke motorcycle when the actor was clearly riding a two-stroke. Likewise, the scene might show an actor just puttering away from a stop sign -- but then they would slap in the sound of a motorcycle running through 4 or 5 gears.

And then there are all the photos of "musicians" holding instruments with their hands on the wrong keys, or holding their horns backwards...

BengeBoy 05-09-08 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dchiefransom (Post 6662849)
From that tire in the picture, it looks like triathlons in New York must be pretty rough.

Plus hilly! I didn't know that many triathletes favored Shimano LX cranks....;)

WalterMitty 05-09-08 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BengeBoy (Post 6664305)
One of the things that used to drive me crazy in my youth is when a motorcycle would show up in a movie and the sound editor would pick a totally inappropriate sound clip for the motorcycle's engine noise -- like, using the sound of a 4-stroke motorcycle when the actor was clearly riding a two-stroke. Likewise, the scene might show an actor just puttering away from a stop sign -- but then they would slap in the sound of a motorcycle running through 4 or 5 gears.

And then there are all the photos of "musicians" holding instruments with their hands on the wrong keys, or holding their horns backwards...

Ha! Sound effects are a whole 'nother hobby. I'm particularly amused with firearm sound effects in movies. Like when a Glock runs out of ammo and the actor pulls the trigger over and over and the sound goes "click, click, click".

n4zou 05-09-08 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skiph (Post 6663175)
Ummm, I think it's upside down.

Note the rear derailleur cable running on TOP of the chain stay.

The bike is upside down. It must be an Australian bike!:roflmao:

DougG 05-09-08 08:17 AM

Actually, I think it's a very clever and well-composed photo that captures the essence of the triathlon: swimming, biking, and running.

BSLeVan 05-09-08 08:28 AM

Maybe the triathlon has the biking stage as an off-road event, and the photo is an attempt to show what happens when a contestant is run over during the biking stage? No, probably just a non-cyclist put it together for other non-cyclist to read. This being the case, why were you reading it, BengeBoy? ;)

BengeBoy 05-09-08 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BSLeVan (Post 6664580)
This being the case, why were you reading it, BengeBoy? ;)

The article was about cross-training -- was making the point that if you want to perform at your ultimate in any given sport, you shouldn't engage in cross-training because then your muscles would be suboptimized for the sport you want to excel out. Most of the article was about triathletes, and how if they they want to excel at a marathon (for example) they cut out biking and swimming so they can improve their running.

I am not a good enough swimmer to ever consider a triathlon. I'd like to see a biking triathlon:

1. One leg time trial.
2. One leg mountain bike off-road
3. One leg touring bike with 60 pounds of gear in panniers, over the North Cascades highway.

Yen 05-09-08 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BengeBoy (Post 6664837)
The article was about cross-training -- was making the point that if you want to perform at your ultimate in any given sport, you shouldn't engage in cross-training because then your muscles would be suboptimized for the sport you want to excel out. Most of the article was about triathletes, and how if they they want to excel at a marathon (for example) they cut out biking and swimming so they can improve their running.

I am not a good enough swimmer to ever consider a triathlon. I'd like to see a biking triathlon:

1. One leg time trial.
2. One leg mountain bike off-road
3. One leg touring bike with 60 pounds of gear in panniers, over the North Cascades highway.

That would be a good test for an all-around cyclist, and I bet many on this forum could do it.

When I was a lot younger I was a good endurance runner (not fast, but long) and strong swimmer. I guess my legs were good at one time. I don't have the drive to combine those into a tri now, but if I knew then what I know now.... :(

leob1 05-09-08 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by n4zou (Post 6664366)
The bike is upside down. It must be an Australian bike!:roflmao:

No, this is the bike after the crash.

Artkansas 05-09-08 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DougG (Post 6664526)
Actually, I think it's a very clever and well-composed photo that captures the essence of the triathlon: swimming, biking, and running.

I agree. It's great. Purists can have fun tearing it apart, but for the average reader who glances at it for a second, it does the job of communicating triathalon.

Artkansas 05-09-08 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BengeBoy (Post 6664837)
I am not a good enough swimmer to ever consider a triathlon. I'd like to see a biking triathlon:

1. One leg time trial.
2. One leg mountain bike off-road
3. One leg touring bike with 60 pounds of gear in panniers, over the North Cascades highway.

Where's the pie eating contest? :eek:

Old Hammer Boy 05-09-08 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Louis (Post 6662842)
Lots of research went into that.:rolleyes:

It's the NY Times, what do you expect?

rm -rf 05-09-08 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BengeBoy (Post 6664305)
One of the things that used to drive me crazy in my youth is when a motorcycle would show up in a movie and the sound editor would pick a totally inappropriate sound clip for the motorcycle's engine noise -- like, using the sound of a 4-stroke motorcycle when the actor was clearly riding a two-stroke. Likewise, the scene might show an actor just puttering away from a stop sign -- but then they would slap in the sound of a motorcycle running through 4 or 5 gears.

And then there are all the photos of "musicians" holding instruments with their hands on the wrong keys, or holding their horns backwards...

Squealing tires on a dirt road's curve.

Retro Grouch 05-09-08 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Hammer Boy (Post 6665375)
It's the NY Times, what do you expect?

Actually, that's what surprised me. I figured it had to be an article from some southern hemisphere paper.

stapfam 05-09-08 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DougG (Post 6664526)
Actually, I think it's a very clever and well-composed photo that captures the essence of the triathlon: swimming, biking, and running.

I did not associate it with triathlon just from the picture. All I thought of was a Fred's bike with cheap glasses- trainers and on an Old Mountain bike with the cables running under the downtube. Now if it had shown a set of Aero bars- I would have thought a Fred Poseur.

scruffyboy 05-12-08 08:19 AM

It's probably the first bike the reporter could get a hold of and they were on deadline.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:35 AM.