Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-08-08, 08:54 PM   #1
BengeBoy 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
BengeBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Seattle, Washington, USA
Bikes: 2014 Pivot Mach 5.7 MTB, 2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
Posts: 6,941
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Clueless bike photo o' the day

This photo was used to illustrate a story about triathlons today in the New York Times:



Nice triathlon bike.
BengeBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-08, 08:58 PM   #2
taxi777
Wheres my snuggie?
 
taxi777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: San Francisco
Bikes:
Posts: 3,068
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BengeBoy View Post
This photo was used to illustrate a story about triathlons today in the New York Times:



Nice triathlon bike.
WTF!!!
__________________
Blame It On The Dog Blog
taxi777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-08, 09:07 PM   #3
Louis
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Bikes:
Posts: 4,866
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lots of research went into that.
Louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-08, 09:08 PM   #4
Dchiefransom
Senior Member
 
Dchiefransom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Newark, CA. San Francisco Bay Area
Bikes:
Posts: 6,205
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
From that tire in the picture, it looks like triathlons in New York must be pretty rough.
__________________
Silver Eagle Pilot
Dchiefransom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-08, 09:27 PM   #5
fthomas 
Fred E Fenders
 
fthomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Again! Philippines & S. California
Bikes: Jamis Aurora Elite
Posts: 1,454
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
They must have borrowed the bike messengers bike!

ART Gear

Asinine Reproduction of Triathlon Gear
__________________
F Thomas

"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving."
Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
fthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-08, 10:01 PM   #6
maddmaxx 
Small Member
 
maddmaxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Bikes: Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
Posts: 7,136
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Not only that, but one of the more rare left handed drive models.
__________________
We are an empire. Use it wisely.
maddmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-08, 10:08 PM   #7
skiph
Senior Member
 
skiph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Oregon coast
Bikes: '06 Trek Pilot 5.2 SPA, '07 BikesDirect frame build, '10 GF Wahoo disc
Posts: 408
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
Not only that, but one of the more rare left handed drive models.
Ummm, I think it's upside down.

Note the rear derailleur cable running on TOP of the chain stay.
skiph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-08, 10:12 PM   #8
Hobartlemagne 
Spelling Snob
 
Hobartlemagne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Plano, Texas
Bikes: Panasonic DX4000, Bianchi Pista
Posts: 2,862
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
Not only that, but one of the more rare left handed drive models.
The bike is upside down
__________________

The first rule of flats is You don't talk about flats!
Hobartlemagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-08, 07:23 AM   #9
WalterMitty
Old Enough to Know Better
 
WalterMitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: OK
Bikes:
Posts: 415
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's kinda one of my hobbies to pick apart advertising/movies/political pictures for the errors. Graphical Arts types will routinely flip images creating objects that don't exist or will copy and paste stock photos that have no relation to the content subject.

I can understand that most of these projects don't allow the time and effort to get it right, but it's still fun to "find Waldo" in movie posters ads and other sorts of media.

The thing that disturbs me is when this kind of thing shows up in news or advocacy media as evidence of some point.
WalterMitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-08, 07:34 AM   #10
BengeBoy 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
BengeBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Seattle, Washington, USA
Bikes: 2014 Pivot Mach 5.7 MTB, 2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
Posts: 6,941
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterMitty View Post
It's kinda one of my hobbies to pick apart advertising/movies/political pictures for the errors. Graphical Arts types will routinely flip images creating objects that don't exist or will copy and paste stock photos that have no relation to the content subject.
One of the things that used to drive me crazy in my youth is when a motorcycle would show up in a movie and the sound editor would pick a totally inappropriate sound clip for the motorcycle's engine noise -- like, using the sound of a 4-stroke motorcycle when the actor was clearly riding a two-stroke. Likewise, the scene might show an actor just puttering away from a stop sign -- but then they would slap in the sound of a motorcycle running through 4 or 5 gears.

And then there are all the photos of "musicians" holding instruments with their hands on the wrong keys, or holding their horns backwards...
BengeBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-08, 07:35 AM   #11
BengeBoy 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
BengeBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Seattle, Washington, USA
Bikes: 2014 Pivot Mach 5.7 MTB, 2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
Posts: 6,941
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dchiefransom View Post
From that tire in the picture, it looks like triathlons in New York must be pretty rough.
Plus hilly! I didn't know that many triathletes favored Shimano LX cranks....
BengeBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-08, 07:44 AM   #12
WalterMitty
Old Enough to Know Better
 
WalterMitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: OK
Bikes:
Posts: 415
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BengeBoy View Post
One of the things that used to drive me crazy in my youth is when a motorcycle would show up in a movie and the sound editor would pick a totally inappropriate sound clip for the motorcycle's engine noise -- like, using the sound of a 4-stroke motorcycle when the actor was clearly riding a two-stroke. Likewise, the scene might show an actor just puttering away from a stop sign -- but then they would slap in the sound of a motorcycle running through 4 or 5 gears.

And then there are all the photos of "musicians" holding instruments with their hands on the wrong keys, or holding their horns backwards...
Ha! Sound effects are a whole 'nother hobby. I'm particularly amused with firearm sound effects in movies. Like when a Glock runs out of ammo and the actor pulls the trigger over and over and the sound goes "click, click, click".
WalterMitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-08, 07:46 AM   #13
n4zou
Scott
 
n4zou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Bikes: Too Many
Posts: 2,393
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiph View Post
Ummm, I think it's upside down.

Note the rear derailleur cable running on TOP of the chain stay.
The bike is upside down. It must be an Australian bike!
n4zou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-08, 08:17 AM   #14
DougG
Road Runner
 
DougG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Rochester Hills, MI
Bikes: Specialized Sequoia, Specialized Crosstrail, Cannondale Synapse Carbon
Posts: 1,039
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Actually, I think it's a very clever and well-composed photo that captures the essence of the triathlon: swimming, biking, and running.
DougG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-08, 08:28 AM   #15
BSLeVan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: S.E. Pennsylvania, USA
Bikes:
Posts: 1,737
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Maybe the triathlon has the biking stage as an off-road event, and the photo is an attempt to show what happens when a contestant is run over during the biking stage? No, probably just a non-cyclist put it together for other non-cyclist to read. This being the case, why were you reading it, BengeBoy?
BSLeVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-08, 09:20 AM   #16
BengeBoy 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
BengeBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Seattle, Washington, USA
Bikes: 2014 Pivot Mach 5.7 MTB, 2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
Posts: 6,941
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSLeVan View Post
This being the case, why were you reading it, BengeBoy?
The article was about cross-training -- was making the point that if you want to perform at your ultimate in any given sport, you shouldn't engage in cross-training because then your muscles would be suboptimized for the sport you want to excel out. Most of the article was about triathletes, and how if they they want to excel at a marathon (for example) they cut out biking and swimming so they can improve their running.

I am not a good enough swimmer to ever consider a triathlon. I'd like to see a biking triathlon:

1. One leg time trial.
2. One leg mountain bike off-road
3. One leg touring bike with 60 pounds of gear in panniers, over the North Cascades highway.
BengeBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-08, 09:28 AM   #17
Yen
Surly Girly
 
Yen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SoCal
Bikes:
Posts: 4,113
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BengeBoy View Post
The article was about cross-training -- was making the point that if you want to perform at your ultimate in any given sport, you shouldn't engage in cross-training because then your muscles would be suboptimized for the sport you want to excel out. Most of the article was about triathletes, and how if they they want to excel at a marathon (for example) they cut out biking and swimming so they can improve their running.

I am not a good enough swimmer to ever consider a triathlon. I'd like to see a biking triathlon:

1. One leg time trial.
2. One leg mountain bike off-road
3. One leg touring bike with 60 pounds of gear in panniers, over the North Cascades highway.
That would be a good test for an all-around cyclist, and I bet many on this forum could do it.

When I was a lot younger I was a good endurance runner (not fast, but long) and strong swimmer. I guess my legs were good at one time. I don't have the drive to combine those into a tri now, but if I knew then what I know now....
__________________
Specialized Roubaix Expert
Surly Long Haul Trucker
Yen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-08, 10:11 AM   #18
leob1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Middle of the road, NJ
Bikes:
Posts: 2,560
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by n4zou View Post
The bike is upside down. It must be an Australian bike!
No, this is the bike after the crash.
leob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-08, 10:27 AM   #19
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.
 
Artkansas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: La Petite Roche
Bikes:
Posts: 12,858
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougG View Post
Actually, I think it's a very clever and well-composed photo that captures the essence of the triathlon: swimming, biking, and running.
I agree. It's great. Purists can have fun tearing it apart, but for the average reader who glances at it for a second, it does the job of communicating triathalon.
__________________
"He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Artkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-08, 10:28 AM   #20
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.
 
Artkansas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: La Petite Roche
Bikes:
Posts: 12,858
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BengeBoy View Post
I am not a good enough swimmer to ever consider a triathlon. I'd like to see a biking triathlon:

1. One leg time trial.
2. One leg mountain bike off-road
3. One leg touring bike with 60 pounds of gear in panniers, over the North Cascades highway.
Where's the pie eating contest?
__________________
"He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Artkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-08, 10:35 AM   #21
Old Hammer Boy
Senior Member
 
Old Hammer Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Utah
Bikes: Trek, Cannondale Tandem, Surly LHT
Posts: 1,082
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
Lots of research went into that.
It's the NY Times, what do you expect?
Old Hammer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-08, 10:37 AM   #22
rm -rf
don't try this at home.
 
rm -rf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: N. KY
Bikes:
Posts: 3,698
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BengeBoy View Post
One of the things that used to drive me crazy in my youth is when a motorcycle would show up in a movie and the sound editor would pick a totally inappropriate sound clip for the motorcycle's engine noise -- like, using the sound of a 4-stroke motorcycle when the actor was clearly riding a two-stroke. Likewise, the scene might show an actor just puttering away from a stop sign -- but then they would slap in the sound of a motorcycle running through 4 or 5 gears.

And then there are all the photos of "musicians" holding instruments with their hands on the wrong keys, or holding their horns backwards...
Squealing tires on a dirt road's curve.
rm -rf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-08, 10:54 AM   #23
Retro Grouch 
Senior Member
 
Retro Grouch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: St Peters, Missouri
Bikes: Rans Rockst (Retro rocket) Rans Enduro Sport (Retro racket) Catrike 559, Merin Bear Valley (beater bike).
Posts: 26,614
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hammer Boy View Post
It's the NY Times, what do you expect?
Actually, that's what surprised me. I figured it had to be an article from some southern hemisphere paper.
Retro Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-08, 04:02 PM   #24
stapfam
Time for a change.
 
stapfam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Posts: 19,915
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougG View Post
Actually, I think it's a very clever and well-composed photo that captures the essence of the triathlon: swimming, biking, and running.
I did not associate it with triathlon just from the picture. All I thought of was a Fred's bike with cheap glasses- trainers and on an Old Mountain bike with the cables running under the downtube. Now if it had shown a set of Aero bars- I would have thought a Fred Poseur.
__________________
How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.


Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-08, 08:19 AM   #25
scruffyboy
Mature Cyclist
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: About as far south as one can get in the continental U.S.
Bikes: Bianchi Milano Jamis Aurora
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's probably the first bike the reporter could get a hold of and they were on deadline.
scruffyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:24 AM.