User Tag List

My Bikes
    Randonee
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heart Rate Monitors

The recent tragedy shared with us all by Wil is certainly eye opening. I purchased a Heart Rate Monitor to use as I get back in shape.

Have any of you ever had a Anaerobic Threshold Test done? I found numerous sites that had simple calculators for max heart rate. Any suggestions on getting the max benefit from the thing. I picked up a Sports Instruments Pro 9 at an unbelievable price. It measures five zones and max, average, etc.

Can anyone recommend any really good sites to learn how to get the greatest benefit from my new bio toy?
    F Thomas

"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving."
    Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fthomas View Post
    Any suggestions on getting the max benefit from the thing.
    Depends on your current fitness and what your training and improvement goals are.
    I'm no expert, as I recall sustained riding (20 minutes minimum) at 60% of your max begins to improve cardiovascular performance. Polar is the industry leader, try their site.

tsl
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildwood View Post
    as I recall sustained riding (20 minutes minimum) at 60% of your max begins to improve cardiovascular performance.
    Yes, but the problem is determining your max, since all other numbers flow from there. That's the question fthomas is asking.

I've had the usual cardiologist tests, but I haven't had any sport-specific tests done. If I had a few hundred kicking around that I didn't know what to do with, I might pursue it.

The assumption that AT is around 90-92% of max seems about right for me. I started with some of the formulae out there, did some hard, hard, riding and came up with a number for my max that seems close enough. From there how I feel in different parts of each zone seems to match up with how one is supposed to feel in them, so that's what I'm using.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a good web site that can give you a good understanding of the HR zones and how to determine your #'s for zone training. http://www.pnc.edu/hr/Wellness/targe...e_training.htm The site describes how to find your resting HR, heart rate reserve and how to determine your zones.

Depending on what shape you are in, and how you ride, you can get pretty close to Max HR by riding up a long hill in a bigger gear, and getting your heart rate up high. Hold that pace until you get to the point where you can't keep the pace because your muscles are not responding anymore, this should be beyond your lactate threshold, then, get out of the saddle and sprint for 20 to 30 seconds or until everything is "spent". You should be at your maximun heart rate. Your HR monitor should record your max HR as it may not peak until after you end the effort. This excersize will hurt!!! You may even throw up or feel like "messing your shorts" (I hate that part), this is territory your are not used to being in. If you are not used to riding hard or have any limitation with your heart consult your doctor. (I did not tell you to do this)

This past winter I purchased a the same HR monitor you have at Preformance Bike and used it during my indoor training sessions. I found the "Zone feature beneficial" even though they were not accurate as they are based on MHR and not MHR, RHR and Reserve Heart Rate. I now am doing intervals outdoors and am also using the HR zones for some of my workouts.

My Bikes
    2013 Specialized Roubaix Sl4 Expert, 2008 Specialized Roubaix Elite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Determining your max HR is the hard part. All of the formulas listed online are rather inaccurate. According to the formulas I should have a max of 185 but I have found that it is really closer to 191. I headed to an area with some big climbs and pushed myself as hard as I could. I hit 191 several times so I set that was my max.
    Disclaimer: Consult your doctor before trying the above.
    If you look for the truth outside yourself, it gets farther and farther away. ~ Tung-Shan

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A finger on the carotid artery and a wristwatch make a great low-cost HRM.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

My Bikes
    Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I have said before - get Joe Friel's "Cycling Past 50" for all the info you need on the HR monitor and its benefits in cycling fitness. Goes all the way from getting started to several different ways to establish Max HR to training for touring, centuries or racing. But given that your post talks about a tragedy - (and as Jay said) you might want to start with a chat with your physician and see if a medically supervised stress test is in order. I personally would not go out and try to find my Max HR on a hard hill climb if I had any concerns whatsoever or was just getting back into shape. Finally, not sure a HR monitor is an accepted tool to avoid or even be warned of an impending tragedy.
    Last edited by RockyMtnMerlin; 05-10-08 at 08:49 AM.

NeoRetroGrouch
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyMtnMerlin View Post
    As I have said before - get Joe Friel's "Cycling Past 50" for all the info you need on the HR monitor and its benefits in cycling fitness. Goes all the way from getting started to several different ways to establish Max HR to training for touring, centuries or racing. But given that your post talks about a tragedy - (and as Jay said) you might want to start with a chat with your physician and see if a medically supervised stress test is in order. I personally would not go out and try to find my Max HR on a hard hill climb if I had any concerns whatsoever or was just getting back into shape. Finally, not sure a HR monitor is an accepted tool to avoid or even be warned of an impending tragedy.
    Another "Cycling Past 50 " fan. It really lays out an excellent annualized plan using HR that anybody can understand and follow for racing, tri or centuries. I recommend it even if you are only 20. - TF

My Bikes
    Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboTurtle View Post
    Another "Cycling Past 50 " fan. It really lays out an excellent annualized plan using HR that anybody can understand and follow for racing, tri or centuries. I recommend it even if you are only 20. - TF

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2004 and I had to have a stress test. On the 220- age- I should have been 163 as my Max. At that time I was treating 165 as my max- but the stress test does take you near your limits. I hit just over 170 and fell off the bike. The Cardio nurse conducting the test mentioned something about swimmers and cyclists and suggested that I keep to the 165 as my max.

That 220 - your age is a good guide to what your max could be. Now comes the problem of working out what the 80%-90% of your max is. Two methods.

Max HR less resting HR- In my case- 165- 70=95

80% of 95=76

76+resting HR is 76+70= 146.

So to ride at 80% of my Max is to ride at 146. As I normally ride at 140 to 150 once I have warmed up- that is about right for me. 90% would be 155 and that is about the max I allow myself to ride at- but will get to the 165 on steep hills and even exceed this if I have to.

The other method is just to take your max and 80% of that so 80% of 165 is 133.

You have to decide on what your max is going to be- and I do not suggest that as a 50 year old- just coming back into cycling you try to see 170 on your first ride- Build up to it
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought a timex because the chest band battery is replaceable w/o sending it back. I climbed a few hills as hard as I could and established a MHR of 190 - this is quite a bit higher than teh stock formula. I am not using the HRM much while on the road because it really hasn't seemed to help. I asked for the books mentioned for my birthday which is coming next month - have to prepare for the birthday ride.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.