Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Shoe Fitting

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Shoe Fitting

Old 05-08-08, 02:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shoe Fitting

Is it ill advised to go up a bit in size? One foot is 42.5, the other just above 42. LBS says going to the 43 will not hurt anything. Anyone out there have experience with this? I use to buy my shoes a tad small-snug when I rode years ago. Don't remember why. Of course then the shoes had laces.
Old 05-08-08, 02:37 PM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
I think my shoes are a little tight this year and I have been having a minor bit of foot numbness at the end of long rides. On the other hand (or foot) I've never liked loose shoes. The difference between a 42 and a 43 is not too great. The 43 would probably be better on the 42.5.
Old 05-08-08, 02:51 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by maddmaxx
I think my shoes are a little tight this year and I have been having a minor bit of foot numbness at the end of long rides. On the other hand (or foot) I've never liked loose shoes. The difference between a 42 and a 43 is not too great. The 43 would probably be better on the 42.5.
I have used 41 size shoes for around 45 years. Last couple of months and the cycling shoes have been tweaking my feet a bit. Went to the LBS and my feet hacve grown to 42. Most probably it is foot spread but going up a size has improved foot comfort. Those old shoes were getting too tight.

Spike Milligan
Old 05-08-08, 04:38 PM
Ti #18 Senior.

Bikes: Serotta Concours

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My advice - buy the larger size. I have on more than 1 occasion purchased ( after carefully trying them on) shoes that proved to be too short - foot discomfort - lost a big toenail after a 109 mile ride, etcetera. Don't buy shoes that are too short. If you do, you will regret it.
Old 05-08-08, 04:46 PM
TCR Advanced SL

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Try the Specialized line of shoes. Their design is more like an athletic shoe,roomier toe. Very comfortable and true to size. Lp
Old 05-08-08, 04:46 PM
Conquer Cancer rider

Bikes: Fun bike, city bike, Bike Friday, Brompton (also fun bikes)

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another vote for at least one size up. You can always tighten them. You cannot stretch a shoe to put on thicker socks in winter, and thicker socks in winter are a seriously good idea.
Old 05-08-08, 04:58 PM
Let's ride to the pub!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I always have to try them on and hope for the best. My feet swell in heat and in the afternoon and if I've been standing, and when it's cold I swear they are about a size and a half smaller.
Old 05-09-08, 05:34 AM
OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach

Bikes: Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As long as there is room to tighten the buckle I would go with the 43. Your feet will swell a bit on long rides and as everyone said having shoes that are too tight will not work. The only issue I see is that shoes may stretch a bit and if you don't have the ability to tighten them they may turn out too loose in the future. I know with the shoes I have I had about 2 clicks left when I got them and now I am all of the way down to the stop, so next time I plan to go one size smaller.

2013 Noah RS
Old 05-09-08, 05:56 AM
Bikin' and Hikin'

Bikes: Lemond Reno, Diamondback Topanga Mountain Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Remember what Earl Butz said on this topic?
Old 05-09-08, 07:58 AM

Bikes: mid 80s Ross Centaur converted to Alfine 11 09 motobecane imortal force, 83 Ross Paragon,81 Schwinn LeTour Tourist, 91 Paramount, 93 GT converted to city bike

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
shoe sizing

I may be the odd guy out here but I prefer my shoes a tad large.
Heavier socks for cold weather cycling, feel swelling a bit after 4 hours of cycling,
european sizing that doesn't reflect the american foot whatsoever.
I went up to a 45/11 several years back and was glad I did.
Old 05-09-08, 08:38 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can always count on your feet to swell just a bit in very hot weather or after long hours on the bike. You can add inserts and in cooler weather an additional layer of socks. With smaller shoes, there's not much you can do if it's too tight.
Old 05-09-08, 08:59 AM

Bikes: Giant OCR2, Motobecane Fantom Trail, Specialized Hard Rock, Giant Nutra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cycling shoes always seem narrow and tight in the toe area to me. I always end up getting a at least a size larger than the the conversion charts say I should need. Do Europeans all have narrow pointy feet? I prefer lace ups since they allow good flexibility between swollen feet/non swollen feet and winter/summer socks.
Old 05-09-08, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The problem is that size is not consistant from shoe brand to shoe brand. As one who has tried many different brand of cycling shoes I find that size variation even run from shoe model to model within brands. Northwaves in a 43 are like 44.5 in a Nike.
Old 05-09-08, 10:34 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oilman_15106
The problem is that size is not consistant from shoe brand to shoe brand. As one who has tried many different brand of cycling shoes I find that size variation even run from shoe model to model within brands. Northwaves in a 43 are like 44.5 in a Nike.
You are so correct. As a matter of fact, I am going from some Nike's in 42 to some Sidi's in 43. The Nike's hurt my feet and were too narrow (and I do not have a wide foot). Even though it seemed that the toe box of the Nike fit correctly. The Sidi's seem to fit better and are more comfortable.

At $138 for some brand new Genius 5's (probably 07's) could not turn them down. Going to give the Nike's (only about 150 miles on them) to a assistant mechanic at a LBS. He was thrilled. He is a great kid and always helpful.
Old 05-09-08, 01:39 PM
Gilpin County Wheelman

Bikes: Parlee Z-4 2001 Fisher Sugar 1 Macalu Ti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BSLeVan
You can always count on your feet to swell just a bit in very hot weather or after long hours on the bike.
this is true. you can count on it. If my shoes feel slightly loose in the store I know they'll fit better once I am spinning the pedals.