Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

cyclecomputer rain rule?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

cyclecomputer rain rule?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-08, 04:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
cyclecomputer rain rule?

What's the rule for getting a cycle computer wet?

I usually ride a computerless mountain bike in the rain, but yesterday was far from home on a road bike when the sky turned ominous. The thought crossed my mind; can the computer take the rain?

I made it back to the barn as the first drops started to fall, still wondering?
Old 05-09-08, 04:48 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
I wrap a piece of plastic wrap (Saran Wrap) over the computer before a ride if rain is possible. Without protection in the rain my various Cateye computers eventually quit working if the ride lasts long. They always recover soon after the rain quits, of course the ride mileage is screwed up.
Old 05-09-08, 05:48 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
The Cateye Mity 3 on my bike has been rained on several times during rides, sometimes lots of hard rain. Never a problem. YMMV.
Old 05-09-08, 07:58 PM
Roadkill

Bikes: 2002 Lightspeed Classic; 2010 Pedalforce RS

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Louis
I wrap a piece of plastic wrap (Saran Wrap) over the computer before a ride if rain is possible. Without protection in the rain my various Cateye computers eventually quit working if the ride lasts long. They always recover soon after the rain quits, of course the ride mileage is screwed up.
+1 on the wrap.

My first Garmin Edge got soaked in a hard rain and took on a lot of water, you could see fog & even some small drops of water on the inside of the display. The display quit shortly thereafter and the unit had to be replaced. This even though the Edge is supposed to be waterproof to 1 meter. A Garmin tech rep emailed me and asked if I was swimming with it after he saw it.

Since then, I always carry a plastic bag & twist tie.

Now my old Vetta has been through numerous rainstorms with no problems and it doesn't claim to be waterproof.
Old 05-09-08, 08:42 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
I've never worried about it. I always figured that a product that's designed for outdoor use should be able to withstand exposure to rain.

In the interest of full disclosure, I don't start rides in the rain and most of the time I don't bother with a computer when I ride. I have completed some rides in significant rain storms particularly on my tandem which has a Flight Deck computer. I haven't had any problems resulting from rain exposure.
Old 05-11-08, 11:49 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the input. I'll try it wrapless and see how it goes. Then if need be I'll Saran wrap it.
Old 05-11-08, 12:39 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
I generally have never had an issue with the rain and my cyclometers.
Old 05-11-08, 12:40 PM
Approaching Nirvana

Bikes: Catrike Expedition

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had my Sigma Sport, rained, hailed and snowed on, all without protection. It keeps right on going.
Old 05-11-08, 01:42 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Only ever had rain trouble with a computer once and that was in 94. 100 offroad on the SDW and we did it in reverse. East to west- but the wind had changed so we had a headwind all the way of around 15 to 20 mph. Started at 6am and at 9.30 it started raining- and did not stop. Then somewhere around noon- I recorded 112 mph. The only part of the computer that water could get into was via the battery. Took the battery out and Brown water came out. Dried the inside and the battery with a Dryish corner od my shirt and it was fine afterwards. Never had the problem again either-----with that computer or any other.

Spike Milligan
Old 05-11-08, 02:18 PM
Squirrel

Bikes: Borthwick Touring bike, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, ?? Bianchi Torino

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
The Cateye Mity 3 on my bike has been rained on several times during rides, sometimes lots of hard rain. Never a problem. YMMV.
As I just mentioned in a different thread, lightning has reset my cateye! It shouldn't do that. What if I was in the middle of a tour or something?
Old 05-11-08, 03:57 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
None of my Cateyes seem to mind. My wireless has been a 40 mile rain ride with no problems.
Old 05-11-08, 04:13 PM
Muscle bike design spec

Bikes: 70 Atala Record Proffesional, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, 76 Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 OutRiderUSA HyperLite

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
My Garmin 305 GPS went through the washer in my jeans pocket this morning. It seems to be ok. I guess the low water use of a front loader helped.
Old 05-12-08, 09:47 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
It depends on the brand. I've had some that where toast after one ride in the rain. That kind of chaps my *****, bicycling is an outdoor sport, sometimes it rains out doors.
But the Cateye Micro that my wife, and now I use, seems to be able to take what ever the clouds can dump. Even if left on the bike on the back of the car.
Old 05-12-08, 06:28 PM

Bikes: Aegis Trident (Big Red)

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
I generally have never had an issue with the rain and my cyclometers.
generally never??WTF?
Old 05-13-08, 06:55 AM

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Novara Randonee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have two different Cateye Astrale models on two different bikes. Both work fine in the rain as long as I keep a little conductive grease on the contacts. I use the type sold in auto parts stores for maintaining contact in bulb sockets. When I don't use, apparently the computers lose contact with the base and quit working.

Last year's Illinois MS150 was done in the pouring rain the first day, and my computer stayed functional all day. I wasn't quite so happy, though.

Al