Thread: Hammerheads

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hammerheads

This morning I was planning to take a long ride to prepare for next Sundays metric - my plan was to ride about 55 miles. I got joined by a group of riders I have ridden with a few times in the past, these guys ride whenever there is no snow on the roads and then on rollers. These guys are fast. Well I did not tell them of my plans, I thought I would tag along and if I didn't have enough when it was over I could keep going. Well it was what I feared - 40 miles of hammering with a mega hill in the middle (I was in my lowest granny and still looking for something lower). They were kind enough to wait for me at the top. At the end I had nothing left to get my miles in - let alone do much else the rest of the day. I did manage get the lawn cut, the flower pots on the front porch planted and the flower beds in front weeded and edged - only 1/2 of what was on my list.

The good things to come out of this:
    I found a new climbing route - I actually liked this climb even though it was tough
    It was a great workout - I need to keep improving.
    It was great training for next weekends metric.
    It was good company when they let me keep up...

Oh well - only one of the guys besides I was over 50.

I will ride my 55 tomorrow morning when the girls take mom out to the tulip festival in Albany - this time I will ride at a much more relaxed pace.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're not complaining about only having to do half the chores around the house today, are you? Sounds like a pretty good day to me.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never train the distance to do a long ride- I normally do a far shorter route with a bit of pace to it- or go and find some hills to climb- Sounds as though you did both so a metric is not going to be a problem with that type of training behind you. And after that sort of ride- you should have done the important thing of resting- The weeds will still be there tomorrow- Or next month if you want to keep training that hard.

Got a suggestion- Come over here for a couple of my "Easier" training rides. I need an energetic youngster to cut my lawn after a ride.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stepfam,

I usually consider a metric century as a training ride for a century - these will start in June. I don't like to jump more than about 10 miles when establishing training distances so if I get 55 then 62 is the next step. The metric is next Sunday, a week later on Monday - a holiday here in the states there is a second metric. I will then be ready for the full century on 6/22.

As far as doing someone elses lawn - forget it. On the three day weekend I will start to paint my house, anybody want to help? Last fall I treated myself to a new bike - one justification was I would paint the house rather than hire a contractor. At least only one side requires painting.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.