OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach stonecrd's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Happy w/Garmin

I mentioned on Jppe's thread that my Garmin HR strap went belly up. The o-ring on the battery compartment failed and it got sweat/water inside and corroded out. Called Garmin, they said no problem they would send me a brand new strap on replacement and gave me an RMA. I have been using this thing almost daily for two years, now that is great service.
    The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard and the shallow end is much too large

2013 Noah RS

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi stonecrd,

Are you overall happy with your Garmin? I've been tempted to buy one several times, but I've read about so many problems with them that I've shyed away from purchase. When I read about the problems, I do understand that there are probably lots of riders who haven't had problems with them, but just haven't said so.

So that's why I'm asking if you're "overall happy" with your Garmin. I'm not one of those guys that have to get the "latest tech stuff" for my bikes, but I do so many climbing rides, that it would be fun to know how many feet I've climbed, and at what percent of gradient.

Have you had any other problems with it, or is the heart rate strap the only mal-function?

Rick / OCRR

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The price of the Edge 305 got down to respectable levels in the UK and I have had mine for about 6 weeks. For the ease of use it is fantastic. -----Providing you remember to set it recording before you start riding. My only gripe would be that you can set the screen up with too many functions- but got round that by having what I want on one screen- HR-Speed-Average speed and ride time is all I really need to look at on a regular basis- but I can swop to another screen to show all the other things I don't need if I want to.
    Last edited by stapfam; 05-12-08 at 03:36 PM.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rick-I've had a 305 for almost two years and ridden in all types of weather. I'm really happy with mine. I have the cadence transmitter on all 3 of my bikes as well.

My Bikes
    Giant TCR Comp 1 Road Bike, Specialized Mountain Bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stonecrd View Post
    I mentioned on Jppe's thread that my Garmin HR strap went belly up. The o-ring on the battery compartment failed and it got sweat/water inside and corroded out. Called Garmin, they said no problem they would send me a brand new strap on replacement and gave me an RMA. I have been using this thing almost daily for two years, now that is great service.
    Mine has not worked from the start. Garmin refuses to give me a new monitor.

My Bikes
    Bianchi Volpe '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had my 305 package for several weeks, and I'm delighted. The HR monitor didn't work, but Garmin cheerfully replaced it free of charge- took about 8 business days to cycle. Now, I'm fully functional. I really like the lap feature- living in the city, I have to ride about 2.5mi before I can get to real road, but I don't want to lose the stats on the streets. So I use three laps- one on the streets, one on the road, and one return on the streets. Very cool- that way I can keep track of the different cadence and heart rates, as well as avg. speed.

I haven't tried the virtual training partner yet, but once this damn rain and wind stops, I will!

Sorry yours hasn't worked out, gfspencer- your experience is completely different than mine has been. I wonder if you need to talk to a supervisor in support if you haven't already.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had the same problem with my HR strap. The first person I spoke to said they couldn't help me. I asked if I could get a replacement o-ring and was told they didn't stock parts. I kept removing the battery between rides and cleaning up the corrosion. Then one ride it got real flakey. I was getting readings of 240 while coasting downhill. I called Garmin again, got a different rep and they sent me a new strap. No RMA, just sent a new one. I think it all depends on who you talk to in customer service on any given day.

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had my 305 for a couple years and haven't had too many problems with it. Most of the problems were user errors I've had it go into "auto pause" mode a few times for no apparent reason but it hasn't done that enough to call Garmin. It always occurs on a ride I do in an area where often lose my cell phone coverage. Maybe the two are related???

I recently received my Garmin 605. I ordered the North American maps for it today. As soon as they arrive I'll be using it for most rides. It doesn't have the heart rate or cadence features but I seldom use those on my 305 and I really wanted the map features. I think it will come in handy on tours and club rides in new areas.

I've already had my first user error with the 605. I somehow managed to set it to a foreign language. I have no idea how I did it and couldn't even determine the language. I emailed Garmin and they sent instruction on how to reset it. I couldn't find instructions in the online manual
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Edge 305 is one of my favorite possessions. I've had one for almost two years. The first succumbed to the well-documented switch-off disorder, in which the unit died when jostled a bit. Garmin replaced it even though it was out of warranty. My current unit has been flawless.

My enjoyment of the unit is greatly enhanced by Ascent software for anaylzing the ride. Ascent is a Mac-only program, and it is probably the best-supported software I have ever seen. On the other hand, MotionBased, which is an online service for analyzing rides, is terribly Mac-unfriendly. You get the good and the bad.

My Bikes
    '04 Trek 2300; '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stonecrd View Post
    I agree that the service is very good in that they quickly replaced my HR transmitter on the Forerunner 305, free of charge, but that doesn't work either. Same problem with a 205. It must be something to do with my skin, even with saliva or electro gel, but my Polar HRM works without fail.

My Bikes
    2002 Lightspeed Classic; 2010 Pedalforce RS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gfspencer View Post
    Mine has not worked from the start. Garmin refuses to give me a new monitor.
    I'm shocked, they replaced mine once when it got water-logged.

Later when I dropped it and shook the battery loose, they repaired the loose battery.

When the altimeter started giving goofy readings (it said I climbed 2000 ft in about 1 minute, for example) they replaced it again.

Each time,there were almost no questions asked.

Would you care to share some details?

My Bikes
    Trek Madone 5.5, Klein Q Pro Elite, Surley LHT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently got a 705. Love the map feature. Have not figured out how to program routes and the manual is no help. The rep I e-mailed said they know the the manuals are not to user friendly. I am still experimenting with all the functions. I have mine set up to show the map and speed and distance. I can scroll through all the other reading to see my HR and total climb. Another nice feature is the graph of the total climb.

Erect member since 1953 cccorlew's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Fantom Outlaw turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sure liek my 305. But I'm not sure I would if it wasn't for Ascent, a really cool Mac-only program that makes the data make snse.
    WANTED: Not a darn thing. I've got it all. Life is good.
    Website at curtis.corlew.com Bicycle blog at ccorlew.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Per Ascent (yes, another BIG fan here. If you have a Mac, buy it. If you don't, buy a Mac and then buy it) I haven't had mine very long... since March 24th, right after I got my OCR. I love it. Sure, the maps totally suck on the 305 and the altimeter's a little inconsistent but I am very, VERY happy with my purchase.
    '13 Felt Z3 - '08 Jamis Aurora Elite - ('07 Giant OCR C2)

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the input everyone! It still sounds like they have a few things to work out and get right, but that it's mostly there. I don't have a Mac, so that part's not good for me.

So, I guess I'm still on the fence, but I will seek out the advice/Garmin war stories from riders in my club and see what they have to say. And/or maybe give Garmin another year or two to get it right.

Personally, I'm not all that interested in the cadence and heart rate functions, but more the altitude climbed and current % grade. Are those two features working okay for everyone? Not sure which models have that feature, but I would get the one that did!

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    Not enough
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like mine but it was hard to get used to - Not sure the elevation is near enough correct for me.

I'd recommend it.

BUT - when i called support they would not help me unless i had the original receipt and NOT bought from web sites such as ebay.
    **Fate is a fickle thing, and in the end the true measure of a person is not fate itself, but how they master it**

My Bikes
    Not enough
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Baron View Post
    - Not sure the elevation is near enough correct for me.

I'd recommend it.

Sorry forgot to mention, I live at sea level and i cross the same bridge every time I ride, height of bridge (hi-lo) and grade numbers are correct but upper height of bridge varies from 150 to 256 feet going across/comingback.
    **Fate is a fickle thing, and in the end the true measure of a person is not fate itself, but how they master it**

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am very happy with the 305. I also have a Nuvii and had a street pilot. Garmin has a habit of going to market early with some bugs but always seem pretty fast with software updates. So being first can be somewhat painful with them. I had one of the first 305s and it had a altimeter problem which was a parts issue with the first units, they replaced it and since then I use it 5 days a week for two years in hot humid weather and torrential downpours. No problems at all. I use SportTracks for logging as the training center software is not so good. They have started migrating people from the Motionbased website to Garmin Connect but so far they don't support the 305. I will give that a try once they get support.

If I had to buy again I would probably still get a 305 over a 605/705. I really don't have much use for maps and I expect they would be somewhat difficult to read while riding and the unit is a bit larger as well.
    The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard and the shallow end is much too large

2013 Noah RS

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kycycler View Post
    I recently got a 705. Love the map feature..
    What download software are you using with the 705? I'm planning to check out Garmin Connect - have you used it?
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR View Post
    Personally, I'm not all that interested in the cadence and heart rate functions, but more the altitude climbed and current % grade. Are those two features working okay for everyone? Not sure which models have that feature, but I would get the one that did!

Rick / OCRR
    Edge 305 and altimeter function- gradient and both can be displayed as you ride. Have a PC. and use motionabase as the programme. Only problem is that I cannot pull off Graphs to post on the thread so have to work round it by Print screen and Paint. Not a problem but so far- The 305 works for me. Have heard of a few glitches with the 705 and the UK mags do suggest letting it get sorted before you buy.

And as for the HRM and cadence meter- Have this on the Garmin aswell so only one thing filling the bars. Only have cadence set up on one bike and not missing it on the other one.

Attachment is of how elevation and grade can show up on a graph.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR View Post
    Thanks for the input everyone! It still sounds like they have a few things to work out and get right, but that it's mostly there. I don't have a Mac, so that part's not good for me.

So, I guess I'm still on the fence, but I will seek out the advice/Garmin war stories from riders in my club and see what they have to say. And/or maybe give Garmin another year or two to get it right.

Rick / OCRR

Rick-the grade and climbing on my 305 seem very, very accurate. Before the 305 I had a Ciclosport that also had grade, altitude and feet climbed and it was pretty accurate. It uses the barometric measuring and as long as you don't have a front that moves through while you're riding it does really well.........for less than half the cost. Mine also provided temperature which I found handy on some rides.

My Bikes
    2007 Tirreno Razza 2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a flat this week. It took about 5 minutes to get back on the road. During that time I gained 8.5 miles on my 305. ??? On a ride last week my 305 said I averaged over 50 MPH (no I did not leave it on during the transporting). This is my fourth unit. Garmin has replaced three and did determine they were defective. Worst bicycle purchase I have made.
    I started riding my bike to get healthy. Now I try to stay healthy so I can ride my bike.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks again for the input, both pro and con, from all the posters above. It sounds to me like they've still got a ways to go to get it completely right, but that they're on the right track and making progress.

Guess I'll just wait another six months or so before I buy!

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am sure that the problems BikeArkansas has are a real pain but you also need to realize with any GPS which relies on satellite info which can be affected by weather and other factors you will find an occasional 210bpm, 60mph speed ect. Could just be power lines affecting the unit, satellite reception issues etc. If these glitches occur daily or weekly then it is probably defective but these are not hard wired sensors so they will glitch on occasion.

Also waiting only works if you want to wait a couple of months after a unit come out for it to stabilize. for instance waiting on a 305 would be non-productive it is not going to change. Waiting a bit on the 605/705 might be productive but if you wait too long you will be waiting on the 805/905, that is the challenge with consumer electronics.

2013 Noah RS