User Tag List

My Bikes
    Specialized Tricross Comp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Torrey Pines La Jolla routes?

I resurrected a thread on La Jolla in the southwest California forum but I figured some of us old coots don't often stray out of the 50+ forum and I might miss some good advice. I am tagging along to my wife's conference at the Torrey Pines Hilton in La Jolla in late July and will be looking for places to rent bikes and good routes in the area. Any suggestions?
    Every man is, or hopes to be, an Idler. -- Samuel Johnson

My Bikes
    Look 565, Trek 2120
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rentals
    http://blbikes.com/page.cfm?pageID=68
    http://www.nytro.com/RENTAL_Cervelo_..._cersoltea.htm

The Torrey Pines Hilton is at the top of a decent hill (Torrey Pines to be exact ), but if you rent bikes at one of the above in Solana Beach or Encinitas, you can cruise the coast from there as far as you want to go with only mild rollers.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm tempted to say, just get out and explore. There is good riding N, E, S of you, but the riding to the west is all wet. La Jolla is good for a slow amble. To the south you get into Pacific Beach which is good for beach style riding and lots of girl watching. You can continue that way on down to Mission Bay.

To the east, its large well paved roads, with some impressive hills. Just for the unique thrill you can even ride on the freeway! Get on the I5 North at Genessee and ride it to Sorrento Valley. It's legal between these two exits. Then you can return up the freeway in the other direction. But in Sorrento Valley, explore into the business park and you will discover the Los Penasquitos Nature Preserve. The main trail is fairly flat and easy and winds along for about 5 miles.

To the north there is more of the beach, the Torrey Pines Golf Course and State Reserve. This leads to Del Mar and its racetrack and Solana Beach(Watch out for Sharks). I'm sure you will get more good news. It's been a while since I was there and DG should have better info on what bicycle shops are there now.
    Last edited by Artkansas; 05-12-08 at 09:49 PM.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pacific Coast Highway from Oceanside to the greater Torrey Pines area (where it is called Torrey Pines Rd.) is great. South of the UCSD campus, you can pick up the Rose Canyon bikeway from the south end of Gilman Dr. -- this will take you to Mission Bay, where there are ample places to ride. I also like the Fairbanks Ranch and Rancho Santa Fe area and the hills of La Costa and San Elijo. Several local shops will rent you a bike -- check with B&L Sports in Solana Beach, Nytro and the Bicycle Retailer in downtown Encinitas, the UCSD Bike Shop ("where cycling is academic"), University City Cyclery, and a couple of places in La Jolla or Pacific Beach.

Let me know as the date of your trip approaches, and we may be able to meet up for a ride. If you can ride a 57cm frame, you can probably borrow my son's 1980 Peugeot PKN-10, which he keeps in his apartment not far from your hotel. Another BF member borrowed the bike about 7 years ago and had a great time exploring San Diego County.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069