I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Customer Service?

On August 8, 2007 I sent an email to Specialized customer service to inquire about whether my Roubaix would take a 25mm or 28mm tire.

I got a response today. The response said, "If you have not already received an answer to your question, please contact our department at 877-808-9154 or email us. We would be happy to help you with your question."

Now that's customer service!
    Last edited by Digital Gee; 05-13-08 at 03:03 AM.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hilarious!

Ti #18 Senior.
    My Bikes
    Serotta Concours
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same thing happened to me - they must be sending this to all who have inquired over the past year. My question was re: a cyclecross bike - of course, I purchased a different brand.

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's amazing how often the service in our service based economy is just awful. But here's a story with a different ending:

We've been thinking about upgrading my wife's computer, so Sunday we went to the Apple Store. First, we were met at the door by a sort of maitre d who asked what we were looking for. He then assigned us to a rep who said, "I'll be with you for the next hour."

He let us test drive whatever we wanted and had thoughtful, intelligent answers to all of our questions. We walked out of the store with two two computers. And they've made customers for life.
    Last edited by Jet Travis; 05-13-08 at 06:34 AM.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    "Is this the party to whom I am speaking?"

Now a good example: Full Speed Ahead............I sent an email on the weekend when they were closed requesting information on how to obtain a set of shims to mount one of their aero bars. Monday AM: back comes the answer complete with a link to the part on their web page. Crisp, busnesslike.........thats what I like in a company.
    Last edited by maddmaxx; 05-13-08 at 05:37 AM.

RT
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to see that old world expectations are being upheld in today's contemporary market. My #1 pet peeve is lazy, uncoordinated, and completely ineffective service. I will go out of my way to pay for service rather than be treated as a number.

My Bikes
    Specialized Tricross Comp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toddorado View Post
    Good to see that old world expectations are being upheld in today's contemporary market. My #1 pet peeve is lazy, uncoordinated, and completely ineffective service. I will go out of my way to pay for service rather than be treated as a number.
    I recently moved my home web site out of the basement to a hosted service. These guys are the epitome of your pet peeve -- unbelievable.
    Every man is, or hopes to be, an Idler. -- Samuel Johnson

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by abqhudson View Post
    Same thing happened to me - they must be sending this to all who have inquired over the past year. My question was re: a cyclecross bike - of course, I purchased a different brand.
    It could be that they realized that a bunch of customer emails have gone unanswered...so they issued a group email to folks to try to re-engage with customers still waiting for an answer.

OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach stonecrd's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some companies just don't seem to handle e-mail very well. I have sent questions to Scott and Orbea before and gotten very quick responses. With Garmin your best to call with Giro it can take a while but evertime I have sent a request for new pads for my helmet they have sent them. So e-mail is worth a try but generally calling and wading through the punch x for y or sitting in the queue is your best bet.
    The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard and the shallow end is much too large

2013 Noah RS

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ultimately you have to vote with your wallet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some companies don't seem to handle doing business very well.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Send your query to the Department of Redundancy Department.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
    "Is this the party to whom I am speaking?"
    "The party to whom I'm speaking" no longer seems to exist. I mostly get something like:

To inquire about your balance, press one.
    To report a lost credit card, press two.
    To make a payment, press three.
    To speak to a real person, hang up and call someone who cares.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

should know better
    My Bikes
    '95 Klein Quantum, all DA'd out; 80's Japanese Summit Comp Pro TR--the dark and wet bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got a similar email from Specialized yesterday, with approximately the same time frame. Mine was signed by a Mr. R. Van Winkle. (Well, I'm pretty sure it was, anyway...)

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had a problem with my USE Exposure light soon after I bought it. E-mailed them to see if I could fix it and within 2 hours got a phone call from them to ask when their courier could collect the light. (I had registered the light when I bought it with address and telephone number on the form) Luckily they are not too far from where I live and got it dropped in by one of our company drivers. They offered him a cup of coffee and asked if he could wait 5 minutes. He could and they sent him back with a replacement lamp as the technician was out for the afternoon and would not be able to look at my broken one till tomorrow.

But query an electricity bill by E-mail- and all I get is Spam telling me how good they are. Never got a reply to my bill query- so changed supplier.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Ones with two wheels
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have a wireless Cateye mc... on one of my roadies. lost the directions and could not get it to function properly. Went to their website and initiated a problem report. Got an almost immediate response in understandable language and was able to reprogram the unit. Great service, great responsiveness.

My Bikes
    Randonee
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Speaking to the Chairman of Specialized, Rip Van, it appears they had a IT snafu and an email that was not being taken care of. It turns out that someone was sleeping on their selle.
    F Thomas

"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving."
    Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Travis View Post
    "The party to whom I'm speaking" no longer seems to exist. I mostly get something like:

To inquire about your balance, press one.
    To report a lost credit card, press two.
    To make a payment, press three.
    To speak to a real person, hang up and call someone who cares.
    You left out to continue in English press 1. Why is there any question about that??