User Tag List

My Bikes
    Raleigh SC30
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1st century getting closer

Less then three weeks before I do my first century. I am doing the Elephant Rock century & have plans to get there the day before so I don't have to get up so early & drive the day of the ride.

I'm getting excited, not sure what to expect, some of my friends that have done e-rock & have ridden with me this last week or so say; I'll do just fine.

In the last couple of months I will have put over 1,000 miles on my bike, which includes lots of hill climbing, flat riding, & some recovery rides.

A co-worker was the one that talked me into signing up but has since backed out. My best friend that I ride with also backed out so I thought I was going to be riding solo, but there are 4 people from this new group that I have been riding with that are doing it so that will be fun.

Last weekend I rode 70 miles, this weekend I plan on doing the same, maybe even a little farther & then for the last couple of weeks I'll just do some shorter rides during the week.

Next weekend is busy with graduation & the Bolder Boulder on Memorial Day, which I'm walking so after that it is only 6 days.

At least when I'm done I can say; been there, done it, & have the Jersey to prove it.

2007 Specialized Roubaix

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your riding buddies think you're ready, you're ready. You don't have to be able to ride 100 miles to be able to ride 100 miles. Pace yourself a bit, you'll feel great at the end.
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With the mileage you have amassed and with the ability to ride 70 miles, you should be in good shape. I rode my first century last year. I did not have as many miles under me as you do this year, and my longest ride was 75 miles. As Mojo said, pace yourself. Also, pay attention to fuel and fluids. Good luck, enjoy the ride, and give us a report.

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Given your current mileage in just 2 months I'm confident you can do the 100 miles, just follow the good advice that's already been given. Remember, it's just five 20-mile jaunts. You can do it!

Yen (who has yet to do a century... )
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With the rides and mileage you've been doing, you're certainly ready

Don't forget the requirements for the forum....pictures and pie. Have fun!
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me, centuries are always a challenge and I always feel a tremenduos sense of accomplishment when I complete one. I can't relate to people who do double centuries! 100 miles is more than enough for me!

Anyway, I've found I suffer the least when I build up my mileage gradually prior to the century, until I can do a 60 or 70 mile ride without undue suffering. Then, the thing that seems to help the most is if I stay off the bike for 2 or 3 days prior to the century to let my body recover.

Good luck and congratulations in advance. Anyone who can ride 100 miles in one day is a beast in my book (I know that's boasting because I'm one of those people, but I don't care!)

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a few things to remember- Eat and drink. The two main rules for completing any long ride. Don't get drawn into going at too fast a pace for you. If the group you are with are too fast- drop out and pick up another group----Or make your own. 70 miles is the danger point. (For me it is 80 miles) so around 65 miles---Stop- Eat- drink a bit extra- take a gel and take a stretch. Don't stop for more than 5 minutes- Or if you do not want to stop- Keep riding and eat- drink and stretch on the move.

And hope every meal between now and Sunday is Pasta- Rice- Sticky buns and Protein. All at the same time if you can manage it.

Good luck but for that 65 to 80 mile stop- keep a treat in reserve. I normally take some of my favourite Chocolate bar for this time. Taste is great after hours of energy drink and cereal bars and the sugar content gives me a boost. And if you do not use gels at present- Go to the LBS and buy 3 tomorrow. 2 for the ride and one to take tomorrow to make certain it will not disagree with you.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No worries,

With all that training and all the good advice above, you'll do fine. Two things (maybe I missed them above), don't foget sunscreen and pay close attention to the route sheet. Getting lost and adding "bonus miles" is (usually, but not always) a pain. I don't recommend it!

The one thing I've found that makes centuries really easy is doing double centuries. No, really, I'm serious!

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you are in good shape. As others have said - I also never ride a century to train for a century. I use Metric centurys as my century training rides, when I can do a metric at a good pace and then still cut the grass in the afternoon I know I am ready. However I will warn you - the big problem with that extra distance is proper nutrition and hydration. Last century I did I drank a ton of water but because I took no water bottle - just a hydration pack and I will only put water in my hydration pack and all the rest stops had water and only powdered unmixed drink mix - I ran out of electrolites and dehydrated anyway. The last 20 miles was miserable. Also - stick with what is working from a food/drink point of view, don't change the day of the century - you will regret it.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your ready to go ... have fun. Remember there are various stages of a century that make it more mental than physical. The start ... you have tendency to start too fast. Pace yourself. The unknown point ... some have it at 50 miles others at 80 ... where you have a moment of doubt. Then the last 10 miles where you believe you could ride the century one more time. For me .... I tend to have my "breaking moment" at 75 to 80 miles ... get that second wind and don't really want to stop at the finish.
    Just remember ... as others have said ... keep hydrated ... eat ... and most of all ... enjoy the ride and try to ride with others ... a solo century is no fun.

My Bikes
    Raleigh SC30
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Four of us that are riding together met up for our Weds. night hill repeats. I learned tonight not to eat before doing hill repeats, my stomach was hurting so bad about half way thru.

As for eating I really don't eat a lot while I'm riding, maybe some clif bars, blocks, & a gel once in a while. Two of the people that we are riding with have done many centuries & they will make sure we are eating & drinking & getting all the stuff in us we need.

My ride this weekend will give me a good idea of how I will do. Planning a 70-75 mile ride with rollers, some flat then about 35 miles in we are doing 8 miles of hill climb.

I'll be glad when this first one is over so I will know what the unknown is on a century ride.
    2007 Specialized Roubaix

My Bikes
    2013 Scott Foil, 2009 Scott Addict R2, 2008 Cervelo P3 TT bike, 2008 Motobecane Fly Ti Hard Tail MTB
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I thought this was a thread about turning 100 years old.

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep in mind that your body can't supply all the calories needed for the ride. We have about 1 and 1/2 to 2 hours of "stored energy" in the blood, liver and muscles. We can process about 300 - 350 calories an hour from fat and the rest of our fuel will come from eating and drinking. Depending on your size and riding speed you may burn well over 5,000 calories on the ride. The trick is not to ride too fast in the beginning when your feel great, because of adrenelin, rest and stored fuel. Keeping the pace back will strech out using the "stored fuel" while your body runs on fat, consumed food and some of the stored fuel. The perfect centry will have you feeling ready to go at 80 miles and not a "sufferfest" where your only energy comes from fat. When that happens you'll slow down, start to feel better, speed up, then use any reserve of energy, then have to slow down again. Last year we got a family group of 10 together for a century that consisted of my brother, two brother-in-laws and 5 of our kids. Everyone was capable of riding a century. My brother-in-law's son, who runs track and cross country on a high school team, ended up being the one to hold up the group at the end. Against other's advice he did not drink early in the ride. I remember riding next to him at about 1 and 1/2 hours into the ride and noticed he only drank about 1/3 of a bottle of fluid. I told him it would be best to chug the entire bottle and drink the 2nd over the next 1/2 hour. Well, when we stopped at a rest stop later, I noticed he still had plently of fluid in the 1st bottle. By the end of the ride my two son's were pushing him up hills while we rode.

Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    Just a few things to remember- Eat and drink. The two main rules for completing any long ride. Don't get drawn into going at too fast a pace for you. If the group you are with are too fast- drop out and pick up another group----Or make your own. 70 miles is the danger point. (For me it is 80 miles) so around 65 miles---Stop- Eat- drink a bit extra- take a gel and take a stretch. Don't stop for more than 5 minutes- Or if you do not want to stop- Keep riding and eat- drink and stretch on the move.

Great advice: I did my First Century last Saturday 101 miles.. Took 5 water bottles to start.
    Looking for Temps of 94* in the Blazing Sun. Lucked Out with Overcast and 72* High Humidity to start.
    Rode 42 miles non-stop. Second 42 miles non-stop. Eating and drinking while riding.
    The Last 17 miles was the killer. Sun came out 90* Hot Hot , 18 mph head winds. Had to stop twice to pour Ice Water on my head and back.
    I made It! It was a "The Rolling Hill Challange", Columbus Texas
    I am still 66 y/o Have Fun Go Slow (Your Speed not everyone elses)
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI