Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-18-10, 03:58 PM   #351
cehowardGS 
Motorcycle RoadRacer
 
cehowardGS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 3,828
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
The Logos on the back of my F150 fit this thread to a tee. Although the number will be turning 70 real soon. Anyway, it fits this thread..Thought I would share..My wife's bike and mine..

cehowardGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-10, 04:32 PM   #352
Burr
Off your Donkey, lets go
 
Burr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The Gardens, Roses & Orchids. Bulacan The Philippines and Red Mountain, Ca. USA
Bikes: Schwinn Mountain, Diamondback Expert Road & REI Randonee Touring
Posts: 601
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Keep pumping dude, you da man
Burr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-10, 06:49 PM   #353
Ken Brown
cycling fanatic
 
Ken Brown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Toronto, Canada
Bikes: Cannondale T800
Posts: 1,130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Turned 65 two weeks ago so this is my first visit to this thread. I was hoping I wouldn't see postings here about centuries but, alas, some people can still do it. Actually I never did ride a century, though I am sure I could have when younger. My maximum was 90 miles when I was 35, but that was touring with loaded panniers in hilly countryside and I had enough energy left to explore Seattle on foot that evening.

A few years ago I could do 100 km touring but my maximum seems to be about 60 km now. I can still go fast and I am strong up short hills, but endurance just isn't what it used to be.
Ken Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-10, 07:26 PM   #354
Burr
Off your Donkey, lets go
 
Burr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The Gardens, Roses & Orchids. Bulacan The Philippines and Red Mountain, Ca. USA
Bikes: Schwinn Mountain, Diamondback Expert Road & REI Randonee Touring
Posts: 601
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Welcome to "The Old Group", hope you kids can keep up.

Ken, you do what you enjoy! If it's 20 miles three times a week fine, that's what I do. Thing is enjoy everything you do, push as hard as you want to. It's like giving money to the cuURch, you don't give till it hurts you give till it feels good.

I also lift weight three days a week and today my wonderful wife joined me so maybe She will want to do more often.

Welcome, enjoy and please post often.
Burr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-10, 08:19 AM   #355
daveinozbikes
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Dawesville Western Australia.
Bikes: Apollo racer. circa 1984.
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hooray...sort of....

Please welcome me to this thread....I have two hours of my 65th birthday left.

Can"t say I"m pleased to qualify, although a lot don"t get even this far. Must be the average of two kms I do every day on me bike. (a red Trek Equinox E9 converted to a really nice road bike). Will post pics. soon,not now "cos it"s nearly bedtime and my 22 year old wife is calling me....
only kidding.

Ok you old farts....see you later...ZZZZZZZZZZZZ.


Dave in Western Australia.(Official Pensioner)
daveinozbikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-10, 08:39 AM   #356
cehowardGS 
Motorcycle RoadRacer
 
cehowardGS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 3,828
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burr View Post
Keep pumping dude, you da man
Yo Burr, me and the wife will be strapping the bikes to the back of the F150 and heading out to scenic places..Got a bike rack that fits right in the hitch.

Oh boy, and I will be pumping too...
cehowardGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-10, 08:43 AM   #357
cehowardGS 
Motorcycle RoadRacer
 
cehowardGS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 3,828
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Brown View Post
Turned 65 two weeks ago so this is my first visit to this thread. I was hoping I wouldn't see postings here about centuries but, alas, some people can still do it. Actually I never did ride a century, though I am sure I could have when younger. My maximum was 90 miles when I was 35, but that was touring with loaded panniers in hilly countryside and I had enough energy left to explore Seattle on foot that evening.

A few years ago I could do 100 km touring but my maximum seems to be about 60 km now. I can still go fast and I am strong up short hills, but endurance just isn't what it used to be.
Since you a newbie 65, let me cue you in ..Life Begins At 65!!

I ain't never rode a century either, but I tell you what, I am gonna do one!!

Please don't throw that block on things because the 65 level has been reached. We just BETTER...

I am no where near as verse in bicycling as you are, so start your endurance training build up.. It will be there. I could almost bet that after this chat, you ready for a double century!!

great peddlin to you,
cehowardGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-10, 08:47 AM   #358
cehowardGS 
Motorcycle RoadRacer
 
cehowardGS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 3,828
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinozbikes View Post
Please welcome me to this thread....I have two hours of my 65th birthday left.

Can"t say I"m pleased to qualify, although a lot don"t get even this far. Must be the average of two kms I do every day on me bike. (a red Trek Equinox E9 converted to a really nice road bike). Will post pics. soon,not now "cos it"s nearly bedtime and my 22 year old wife is calling me....
only kidding.

Ok you old farts....see you later...ZZZZZZZZZZZZ.


Dave in Western Australia.(Official Pensioner)
Ahh, this is great. Happy Birthday Big Time!!

Just like I told the other poster, Life Begins At 65! No Chit!!

Post the pics..

BTW, I am 69, and my 46 year old wife is calling me, and when she calls, I come!!!

Again, Happy Birthday..
cehowardGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-10, 07:17 AM   #359
Burr
Off your Donkey, lets go
 
Burr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The Gardens, Roses & Orchids. Bulacan The Philippines and Red Mountain, Ca. USA
Bikes: Schwinn Mountain, Diamondback Expert Road & REI Randonee Touring
Posts: 601
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Howard, you're a dirty old man. I'm 68 and my wife 51.
Read this:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,592762,00.html
Burr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-10, 12:24 PM   #360
cehowardGS 
Motorcycle RoadRacer
 
cehowardGS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 3,828
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burr View Post
Howard, you're a dirty old man. I'm 68 and my wife 51.
Read this:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,592762,00.html
Being a "dirty old man" does have its moments, I tell you that!!

I read the article, dam good news, I tell you that too...

Burr, I think we have the right idea!!
cehowardGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-10, 03:06 PM   #361
Long Run Nick
Long Run Nick
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Bikes: Trek FX 7.3
Posts: 72
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
66 here. Closing quickly to 67. Back on a bike after a 12 yr layoff. Bought a new Trek FX 7.3. Put over 300 miles on it in the first 2 weeks. I have been on the roads since 4/76 running. Total miles run 71,400+ . Started riding a road bike in the eraly 80's to cross train. Then went to a mt bike. In the early 90's got a hybrid and rode till '98. Not sure why I stopped. I use to ride a lot when I would get injured from running too much. Pretty much injury free for 12 yrs. Currently have a nagging foot injury which motivated me to get back on a bike. Had my '93 hybrid fixed up--then foolisly rode a new Trek 7.3. Bought it immediately. I am amazed that I have acclimated to the bike so quickly. Did a 50 miler last Sunday. Felt great. Use to run 50 mile+ ultramarathons. Riding is a lot easier. Thanks for letting me share. Nick
Long Run Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-10, 04:39 PM   #362
Burr
Off your Donkey, lets go
 
Burr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The Gardens, Roses & Orchids. Bulacan The Philippines and Red Mountain, Ca. USA
Bikes: Schwinn Mountain, Diamondback Expert Road & REI Randonee Touring
Posts: 601
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Nick. great. Welcome you are going to put us old guys to shame.
Burr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-10, 05:37 PM   #363
cehowardGS 
Motorcycle RoadRacer
 
cehowardGS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 3,828
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Staying Young At Heart, at 65+

Been thinking a little lately on my age, 69. And how people say I don't act or look my age. And I don't feel like I am 69 either. So, what is happening.

Here are a few things I am doing, that may or may not have and impact on me pushing the aging process back.

One thing comes to mind, and it is kind of funny too. I don't hang with people my age!!!!!!

In the sport of motorcycles I am hanging with 20 and 30 year olds. In other words, do young things, you will be around younger people. I don't feel out of place either.

Here I am at a racetrack in Florida, my riding/traveling partner was 25 opposed my at that time 68.

http://www.cehoward.net/young1.jpg

I dress young..Jeans and cowboy boots and tennis when I am working out. I might put on a pair of shoes about 1 or 2 times a year. Just lately I started putting on suits, and dress pants and that is only to go to church..

I act silly too.

I don't worry about down the line too much, because nobody knows when this gift of life will end.. People say "save for a rainy day"...Sheesh, with me, everyday is raining...

Lastly, I love to throw my Raleigh Competition on my shoulder and run up 5 flights of stairs after getting off the subway. That draws attention, not that I am looking for attentiion, but the attention keeps me pumped up to keep doing it. And that "doing it" is the key to staying young at heart at pass 65..

Plus,I got a young healthy wife too, that helps!!
cehowardGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-10, 05:57 PM   #364
cehowardGS 
Motorcycle RoadRacer
 
cehowardGS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 3,828
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Run Nick View Post
66 here. Closing quickly to 67. Back on a bike after a 12 yr layoff. Bought a new Trek FX 7.3. Put over 300 miles on it in the first 2 weeks. I have been on the roads since 4/76 running. Total miles run 71,400+ . Started riding a road bike in the eraly 80's to cross train. Then went to a mt bike. In the early 90's got a hybrid and rode till '98. Not sure why I stopped. I use to ride a lot when I would get injured from running too much. Pretty much injury free for 12 yrs. Currently have a nagging foot injury which motivated me to get back on a bike. Had my '93 hybrid fixed up--then foolisly rode a new Trek 7.3. Bought it immediately. I am amazed that I have acclimated to the bike so quickly. Did a 50 miler last Sunday. Felt great. Use to run 50 mile+ ultramarathons. Riding is a lot easier. Thanks for letting me share. Nick
Awesome...

That "injury free" came from you being super active.. Only way to go...

When I grow up, I wanna be just like you!!
cehowardGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-10, 05:36 PM   #365
LAriverRat
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Downey, Ca
Bikes:
Posts: 897
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Here is my first post. Turned 65 today, rode 65 miles. Best sprint after 50 miles was 23.6 mph for 1/2 mile, then 21 mph for 1 1/2 miles. Wanted to post earlier but waited until i was actually 65.
LAriverRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-10, 05:40 PM   #366
Burr
Off your Donkey, lets go
 
Burr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The Gardens, Roses & Orchids. Bulacan The Philippines and Red Mountain, Ca. USA
Bikes: Schwinn Mountain, Diamondback Expert Road & REI Randonee Touring
Posts: 601
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So you ride the LA River? I rode it a many a day from the top to LB and back in to the wind all the way then up hill to Upland.

Welcome and post often "Old Man"!
Burr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-10, 09:26 PM   #367
LAriverRat
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Downey, Ca
Bikes:
Posts: 897
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yes i am an old man. They have repaved the Rio Hondo/L.A. riverbed this last three weeks so i have been going over to SGRB from Firestone north to HWY 39 over Santa Fe Dam. It is a good work out, uphill then into the wind coming back. It has improved my endurance. They are redoing the lower half of the SGRB but have not done the worse part of the trail. I will get back on the L.A. trail this coming week to see if it is finished. Usually i go to Shore line Village or over to Seal Beach. Next on my list is to do 100 miles.
LAriverRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-10, 04:43 AM   #368
cehowardGS 
Motorcycle RoadRacer
 
cehowardGS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 3,828
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAriverRat View Post
Here is my first post. Turned 65 today, rode 65 miles. Best sprint after 50 miles was 23.6 mph for 1/2 mile, then 21 mph for 1 1/2 miles. Wanted to post earlier but waited until i was actually 65.
Happy B-Day, Ya da man!!!

Listen up, LIFE BEGINS AT 65!!!
cehowardGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-10, 09:59 PM   #369
LAriverRat
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Downey, Ca
Bikes:
Posts: 897
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, had a nice ride today. My plan is to slowly increase my speed so i can join a club and sustain 20+ mph for a long distance. Hit 25.2 mph in the first sprint and degraded from there. Hope everyone is well.
LAriverRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-10, 05:07 PM   #370
cehowardGS 
Motorcycle RoadRacer
 
cehowardGS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 3,828
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAriverRat View Post
Well, had a nice ride today. My plan is to slowly increase my speed so i can join a club and sustain 20+ mph for a long distance. Hit 25.2 mph in the first sprint and degraded from there. Hope everyone is well.
You raising the bar!!

Just thinking, when you join a club, and they check your age, and you be out doing some of the youngins, they gonna hate ya!!

But, it will be a good hate!!
cehowardGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-10, 05:14 PM   #371
DnvrFox
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
DnvrFox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Bikes:
Posts: 20,916
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Don't you love those posts - like:

"I am 50 and I am SO OLD . . . . "
DnvrFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-10, 02:48 PM   #372
LAriverRat
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Downey, Ca
Bikes:
Posts: 897
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
Don't you love those posts - like:

"I am 50 and I am SO OLD . . . . "
Wish i could remember when i was 50. OMG i am getting old. Just have to stay on this side of the turf.
LAriverRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-10, 02:54 PM   #373
LAriverRat
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Downey, Ca
Bikes:
Posts: 897
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cehowardGS View Post
You raising the bar!!

Just thinking, when you join a club, and they check your age, and you be out doing some of the youngins, they gonna hate ya!!

But, it will be a good hate!!
I have to lose maybe 10 to 15 pounds i think to get to 20+. I weigh 190 now. I like ice cream so it may take me a while to do it.
LAriverRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-10, 09:36 AM   #374
RonH
Life is good
 
RonH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Not far from the Withlacoochee Trail. 🚴🏻
Bikes: My beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my 2014 Cannondale SuperSix EVO Hi-Mod
Posts: 16,285
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
If I was 50 again I'd take up cyclocross racing.
Now all I can do is watch and cheer on the riders.
__________________


The LORD is merciful and gracious, slow to anger, and plenteous in mercy. - Psalm 103:8
RonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-10, 07:00 PM   #375
LAriverRat
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Downey, Ca
Bikes:
Posts: 897
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Went 40 miles today. I don't have a HR monitor but i recite sentences to check how much i am working at the moment. Was hitting 24.7 mph and going 22 mph for 10 miles and was at less than 85% max HR. Did 15 miles in 45 minutes which for me is a first. At no time did i have to gasp between words. The highest speed was 29.7 mph. Bought a computer last month and it is helping a lot for my improvement. Sunny, windy and 74 degrees. Felt really tired last Thursday and Friday like i was out of power. I hope to keep those days to a minimum. I chalk it up to being 65.
LAriverRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:34 AM.