Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

65-85+ Thread

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

65-85+ Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-13, 07:30 AM

Bikes: 7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Artmo
You and I are of the same opinion. I can't think of anything worse than a)camping and b) camping in a crowded field, and all that you describe, after a long bike ride c) repeating b).
Me too. That's what they do for the Dalmac and the main reason I have never done the Dalmac (Michigan).
Old 06-19-13, 07:35 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo Slim
If you old guys only post here, then we young guys won't be able to benefit from your "wisdom" without lurking, and that seems so dishonest, somehow.
They are already lurking, so no problem except that, until they get our age, they don't benefit from "wisdom".
Old 06-19-13, 07:45 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Catweazle
Yeah, you're right. Thread kinda looks like a wall filled with graffiti tags sprayed on by wobbly old geezers propped up on walking sticks, doesn't it? So no worries. I'll see if I can help!

It was my old dad you see! Gettin' on into his 80s now, and facing a medical for license renewal later in the year. Gettin' a bit concerned and depressed about it all, too, cause even though he can see what's going on around him when he's driving he can't read those ridiculous little little "Stand ten feet away and read the fifth line" thingumibobs!

Of course, being the kind and concerned son that I am I addressed his fears, and sought to allay them a bit.

"Guess you'll be riding a treadlie up and down to the shop, then?"

He gave a bit of a "Hrrmmmpphh!" to that, as I expected he would. But a few days later I saw him wheel one of the bikes out of the shed and sneak around and up the drive with it, so I wandered out.

I got around the front of the house only to see him pedal a few yards, wobble all over the place, and then stagger half way across the yard, red in the face, trying to get off the thing.

"I can't bloody ride that thing! Face facts! I'm past it and I'm useless and ....."

The muttering kept going all the way back up the driveway and into the shed. The face was gettin' kinda redder too. He wasn't really in a mood for conversation at that point in time, so I muttered over the top of his mutterings to say

"Ya know, if it strikes ya fancy to try that again sometime I reckon you oughta let me know. I reckon that seat is a bit too high for ya, and I might have to drop it down so's you can ride the thing!"

Later that day, after Mrs CW and I returned from a visit to our son's house, I saw him wander in to chat with her.

"I'm not gonna tell him" I could overhear him saying "but I tried ring that bike while you were out and it was a bloody disaster! Fell arse over head in the driveway and it hurt so much it took me half an hour to get up again."

I didn't say anything, on account of how he was whispering so loud and not wanting me to hear, but I had a chat with my son about it the next day. Shortly afterwards the old bloke wandered in, only to have his grandson say

"You know, old bloke, there's about half a dozen old chooks in town who ride adult sized trikes and cart baskets around on them for the shopping!"

My goodness! THAT sure sparked another red-faced muttering spasm episode!

I'm kinda expecting him, sometime in the near future, to have a chat about lowering that bike seat down
Very funny and kool. However, I'm going to become one of the old farts who rides a trike around town, except it'll be a trike that rides all over the face of the earth; the kind of trike that is built for speed with 3 front and 9 or 10 rear gears. Why? Because I just had a hyperplactic scar removed that occurred from riding two-wheelers and used a bad saddle for a long time before I realized the mistake. When you get older, you gotta compromise somewhere, but it won't be bike/trike riding.
Old 06-19-13, 07:49 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zonatandem
OK, the old guys are mouthin' off . . .
How many ladies out there (asides from Mrs. D'Fox and K/zonatandem) are willing to fess up to be more than 65 years 'young' and still pedalin'?
69 old girl mouthing off. We're here!
Old 06-19-13, 07:56 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jaxbike
I qualify as a 66 year old. Don't feel that I have much to contribute to these forums but I sure have enjoyed reading the 50+ forum in the last two years.

I've been cycling for over 35 years and it is the biggest factor in maintaining my physical and mental health at levels that make me feel far younger than my years. I don't worry about equipment, techniques, clothing etc. anymore, just about getting out there and improving my fitness level on a continuing basis.

I'm sure most of us at this age would agree that health and fitness, along with the fun of being out there are the biggest reasons we've stayed on the bike when far too many of our friends have become "couch potatoes".
Jax,
Agreed. My doctor can't believe that I'm 69 and do at least 20 miles (maintenance miles) per day. If I had the time, it would be longer miles. He also tells me that he can 't believe that I don't take any medications at all and that I'm the healthiest senior he's ever met. Cycling, I'm certain, had a lot to do with that.
Old 06-19-13, 10:04 AM
Banned

Bikes: 2011 Surly LHT 2005 LeMond Zurich

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll riding my age tomorrow. I feel so fortunate that I have opportunity to decide between seriously spinning 67 miles on the fast bike, or taking along some goodies and stopping to enjoy a few of my favorite local spots on the tourer on a day trip.

I guess I'll know by morning.

Jus' keep amovin'
Old 06-27-13, 11:58 AM
LerpwllWelsh

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe 2003. Bike Friday World Tourer. Trek 1.2Alpha

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello, OldFellas:

Love Catweazle's story about Dear Ol' Dad!

I'm off for the summer adventure tomorrow (or am I just attempting to escape the Texas heat? - it'll reach 105 F tomorrow here). I'll be walking the Camino de Santiago during the month of July, then retrieving my bike in the south of France and riding to Ireland in August. Hope to take in the Megalithic stones at Carnac, the Normandy beaches, Mont St. Michel, the Bayeux tapestry, the Channel Isles and Scilly Isles, and the west coast of Ireland (Ring of Kerry, Cliffs of Moher, etc.). I'll try to keep you guys up to date and post some pictures. I'd like to average a third of my age walking and 100% of my age on the bike, but that's tough with all the sights to see in Europe. Unlike Artmo, I love to camp (sleep better on the ground than I do in a bed!), so I hope to keep my costs down below $40/day (i.e. well below my Soc.Sec. payouts!!), but it will be tough in France, the campingest nation in the world,

Lerpwll
Old 07-01-13, 05:35 PM

Bikes: Fuji road bike and Mountain bike. Giant road bike and Mtn bike, Motobecane Crossbike and Mtn bike, Cycle Pro road bike.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Neat thread, hope I can find it again.. Well here I am at a fairly fit 66 with many of my friends 6' under already. Always looking for new friends especially bicyclists.
Old 07-01-13, 07:45 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by cactuss
Neat thread, hope I can find it again.. Well here I am at a fairly fit 66 with many of my friends 6' under already. Always looking for new friends especially bicyclists.
Welcome!!
Old 07-08-13, 07:51 PM

Bikes: Fuji Rubaix 1.0

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi. Newbie here! I'm seventy-one and about to dive into cycling....I think. My full background is in the introduction section. In the past two years I've gotten my weight FINALLY! down from 220 to around 190. I'm shooting for 180 but it's going slowly. I went to a few bike stores here in northern VA. and it's gotten more and more confusing. It looks like I need a hybrid. The Trek FX series seems to be the most promising but the Cannondale quick seems promising. I have lots of questions.
Old 07-08-13, 08:52 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Rich Gibson
Hi. Newbie here! I'm seventy-one and about to dive into cycling....I think. My full background is in the introduction section. In the past two years I've gotten my weight FINALLY! down from 220 to around 190. I'm shooting for 180 but it's going slowly. I went to a few bike stores here in northern VA. and it's gotten more and more confusing. It looks like I need a hybrid. The Trek FX series seems to be the most promising but the Cannondale quick seems promising. I have lots of questions.
Hi Rich and thanks for posting. Welcome to the 50+ amd 65+ thread.

Congratulations on the weight loss.

I am 73 >> 74, riding about 100 miles per week. I swim and walk and do heavy resistance exercises, also, along with targeted stretching.

I would really strongly suggest you read these two threads:

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php/899275-I-am-looking-for-some-suggestions

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php/438160-For-the-50-newbie-rider

They will give you good insight.

FYI, almost any well known brand (Specialized, Trek, Giant, Cannondale, Jamis and many others) will be a good product. What you really need is a good local bike store - LBS. Look around and find one that listens to you and takes time to develop a bike that meets what you want, and is not simply something that they want to sell. "Fit" on a bike is REALLY important. Your LBS can help here - that is likely their most important job.

Keep posting, and ask your questions in the general 50+ forum as there are MANY extremely helpful folks there.

Yes, a 71 yo can ride a bike. I ride a couple of road bikes and a mtn bike.

Good luck and have fun.
Old 07-09-13, 02:42 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought a Trek FX 7.4 (27 speed) 4 days ago...put 90 miles on it so far...overall, i really like the bike, 23.4 lbs. without any accessories...but there's a few things that I don't like...

1. After 25 miles on the bike I had saddle sores...for me, the stock saddle was cruel & unusual punishment!...i switched to a Walmart (Bell brand) memory foam seat w/springs - much better.
2. On the left hand, big sprocket shifting, there's no micro adjustment in between sprockets like I had on my GT Timberline mountain bike...so you get chain rattle in a lot of the gears.
3. We live close to Lake Perry in Eastern Kansas...some of the hills are pretty "Ozark-like" (not as high but just as steep)...i need a lower gear on the big, steep ones...

I plan on visiting my LBS tomorrow to see about changing the gearing...

(I turned 65 in March)
Old 07-09-13, 05:37 AM
Road Runner

Bikes: 2017 Felt VR5, 2013 Specialized Crosstrail, 2020 Specialized Vado 4.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 21 Posts
Welcome, Rich! I think that hybrids are an excellent choice for our demographic when considering casual bike riding. My only additional recommendation to the ones offered already is to note that most of these models come in 3 or 4 different "levels" of equipment, and assuming that cost is not a big factor, you should consider going a level higher than you think you need. Otherwise you might soon find out that you'd like the additional gearing, better shifters, brakes, etc. and will feel that you've quickly outgrown your starter bike. It's happened to me a couple of times.
Old 07-09-13, 07:01 AM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I bought my 13 y/o grandson a Trek 7.2FX last year. He loves it.

You say you're "thinking" about getting into cycling. I want to know what took you so long to get here?

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 07-09-13, 07:48 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Probably the concern over making a big mistake. I hesitated buying my first full-frame Nikon, the D-3 at $5000. I eventually bought it and had fun with it. Probably losing the final 20# and watching the Tour de France were the final prompts.
Old 07-09-13, 08:02 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RCPlains
I bought a Trek FX 7.4 (27 speed) 4 days ago...put 90 miles on it so far...overall, i really like the bike, 23.4 lbs. without any accessories...but there's a few things that I don't like...

1. After 25 miles on the bike I had saddle sores...for me, the stock saddle was cruel & unusual punishment!...i switched to a Walmart (Bell brand) memory foam seat w/springs - much better.
2. On the left hand, big sprocket shifting, there's no micro adjustment in between sprockets like I had on my GT Timberline mountain bike...so you get chain rattle in a lot of the gears.
3. We live close to Lake Perry in Eastern Kansas...some of the hills are pretty "Ozark-like" (not as high but just as steep)...i need a lower gear on the big, steep ones...

I plan on visiting my LBS tomorrow to see about changing the gearing...

(I turned 65 in March)
Very helpful. I do have concerns about the seat, but I know it will have to take a while to sort that one out. I used a Life Fitness upright exercise bike for years and when I rode after about 40 minutes my primary male reproductive organ would go numb. I switched to a recumbent and wondered years later if that might have affected certain functioning. No matter.

I do want to reach a little higher than 'good enough' and set my budget at around $1200. I posted a question in the 'fitting your bike' forum about choices. I think I'd like the disc brakes but I'm not sure which models have that. Some other confusing features were the gear controls, gears and sprockets. While looking at the bikes it seemed that each model of both the Trek and Cannondale lines had differing model controls...why? Surely they aren't that much different that each model needs a differing device? Another thing, I see that Trek has changed the front sprocket from the conventional three to two compressed discs. In my seventy plus years of experience every time a company reduces functionality it most assuredly isn't because of wanting a better product for the consumer..they're reducing costs to maintain profit levels. A lot of comments I read are very critical of this. Another question is about the derailleurs; again so many different combinations. One source says the Shimano Deore is crap and others say '105' (whatever that means) is the way to go. I read a number of reviews that the pedals are defective...really? What makes them deficient and whta should they be replaced with?

This is a confusing as digital photography!

Last edited by Rich Gibson; 07-09-13 at 08:07 AM.
Old 07-09-13, 08:55 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My FX 7.4 with tax and a Bontrager computer was just over $900...but I'm sure I'll end up with at least $1200 in it by the time I get the gearing, etc. the way I want it!!!...I test rode an FX with the 2 front discs and didn't like it! I'm used to 24 speeds and didn't want to adjust to fewer gears...I know there's duplication of gear ratios with 27 gears, but imo, you get a different feel - depending on which front sprocket you're using to obtain the same gear ratio! (I'm sure gearing is a personal preference.)

I think bicycles are more confusing than digital photography!!!...i settled for a Rebel T2i and the Canon 100-400mm zoom...just over $2,000 for the pair...sounds like your budget is a little higher than mine, so maybe someone on here has a better idea than the Trek FX series.
Old 07-09-13, 09:52 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
... Some other confusing features were the gear controls, gears and sprockets. ... Another question is about the derailleurs; again so many different combinations. One source says the Shimano Deore is crap and others say '105' (whatever that means) is the way to go. I read a number of reviews that the pedals are defective...really? What makes them deficient and whta should they be replaced with?

This is a confusing as digital photography!
Okay. I've done some reading and it's beginning to make sense. One explanation I read in another site put it into place. The 'bike' manufacturers are basically (mostly) Taiwanese frame companies which hang on third party hardware to meet price points. This would explain the different models of various running gear. Doh! I picked that up from looking at Trek's spec sheet...almost every part on the bike was built by some other manufacturer. The light bulb comes on. I also see from visiting the Shimano site that on the Trek FX series uses mountain trail bike MTB running gear. So it appears that, like Nikon vs. Sigma vs. Tamron lenses there are very different opinions and passions for particular models ("Doere is for holiday riders"....."105 is for serious bikers" etc.)

So, if I bought, for example, a Trek FX 7.4 I could ultimately put on any combination of running gear (..assuming that the mounting points are standard).

Question about seats, and tires. Where do you start with seats? It looks like there is a mind boggling variety of brands/types. I don't ever plan on racing or other competitive events however we have some trails in northern VA which are gravel and small stones. Certainly I will not go though muddy bogs, but I'm looking for a tire which will avoid a jarring ride on pavement bu which can handle the occasional hard packed (dry) dirt trail

Thanks for the quick responses!
Old 07-09-13, 09:18 PM
Off your Donkey, lets go

Location: The Gardens, Roses & Orchids. Bulacan The Philippines and Red Mountain, Ca. USA

Bikes: Schwinn Mountain, Diamondback Expert Road & REI Randonee Touring

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wonderful Ride yesterday!!
Attached Images
Old 07-10-13, 07:01 AM
Road Runner

Bikes: 2017 Felt VR5, 2013 Specialized Crosstrail, 2020 Specialized Vado 4.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 21 Posts
Question about seats, and tires. Where do you start with seats? It looks like there is a mind boggling variety of brands/types. I don't ever plan on racing or other competitive events however we have some trails in northern VA which are gravel and small stones. Certainly I will not go though muddy bogs, but I'm looking for a tire which will avoid a jarring ride on pavement bu which can handle the occasional hard packed (dry) dirt trail
Rich, you might want to post your questions as a thread in the general 50+ forum. There are a lot of options (and about as many opinions), but you'll probably get a lot more responses that way. These are all issues that many of us here have wrestled with!
Old 07-10-13, 07:02 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I think I'm starting to learn about this bike stuff...after a trip yesterday to my LBS...

The front sprocket shifter on my new FX 7.4 is Shimano Acera...3rd from the bottom in the Shimano model hierarchy...they told me i can upgrade to Shimano's most expensive & I still won't have the micro adjustment that I have on my 2001 GT Timberline...said their shifters havn't had that for years...went the way of the Edsel, I guess!

So, they tightened the cable & that took care of 98% of my chain rattle!...and showed me how to adjust it when it comes back!...they changed the rear...they changed the rear sprockets to give me 2 more teeth on the lowest gear to help up those steep hills (they called it a "cassette", but that's a tape recording in my old geezer vocabulary)...

I delayed my ride until 11:00 pm last night to beat the 105 degree Kansas heat (it was still 87 when i finished the 16.6 mile ride at midnight)...results? - almost no chain rattle, correct gearing (for me), and a smooth ride!!!...i now have $940 in my new FX 7.4 and Bontrager computer...love it...i'm a happy camper!

Last edited by RCPlains; 07-10-13 at 07:06 AM.
Old 07-10-13, 07:48 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DougG
Rich, you might want to post your questions as a thread in the general 50+ forum. There are a lot of options (and about as many opinions), but you'll probably get a lot more responses that way. These are all issues that many of us here have wrestled with!
Thanks! Lots of overlap here.
Old 07-11-13, 11:16 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks! Lots of overlap here.
Rich; because it took me awhile to figure it out and others have had the same challenge I'd like to offer a definition for the word "better" as used in the bicycling business. The LBS folks or another rider when asked why I should buy that more expensive component would say: "Because it is better". Most of the time what they are really saying is that it is lighter. Some people will go to almost any lengths to save a few grams in running gear; while they are carrying more than a few extra pounds on their body.

I started being a cyclist in my 70's. The first bike was a Hybrid that the LBS sold me because I hadn't a clue what I wanted. Less than a year later I bought a road bike. This time I started riding bikes, starting from the cheapest and going up, until I found one that was comfortable, or at least as comfortable as a road bike can be, on the roads I ride. Maybe that would work for you too?

Good luck.
Old 07-11-13, 11:30 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HawkOwl
Rich; because it took me awhile to figure it out and others have had the same challenge I'd like to offer a definition for the word "better" as used in the bicycling business. The LBS folks or another rider when asked why I should buy that more expensive component would say: "Because it is better". Most of the time what they are really saying is that it is lighter. Some people will go to almost any lengths to save a few grams in running gear; while they are carrying more than a few extra pounds on their body.

I started being a cyclist in my 70's. The first bike was a Hybrid that the LBS sold me because I hadn't a clue what I wanted. Less than a year later I bought a road bike. This time I started riding bikes, starting from the cheapest and going up, until I found one that was comfortable, or at least as comfortable as a road bike can be, on the roads I ride. Maybe that would work for you too?

Good luck.
Thanks for the advice. Gaining from others' experience has always been my choice. I'm about to pull the trigger on the Trek FX 7.6. It seems the optimum compromise for my needs.

Rich
Old 07-11-13, 06:29 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Just looking, thanks! Interesting place.
Still got a year and a half before I am allowed to hang out here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.