Page 60 of 61 FirstFirst ... 105058596061 LastLast
Results 1,476 to 1,500 of 1523
    My Bikes
    No name mtn, Bike E , Vilano and Zenetto Stealth
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like we have the five riders for the GASP, (free) jersey design in process and expect delivery by the end of April. If anybody else wants in - I need to know in next few days.
    Retired 75 YO. Got my sub 5 ET century at 50 and sub 7 RT at 75. Just want to finish at 80. USNR, USAF, USCGA - riding 2014 Zenetto Steath ZR7.1 Carbon

Currently living in Oakdale, CA about 20 mi. NE of Modesto in the hot central valley.
    My Bikes
    Surly LHTD with a YAK trailer. I may have to ditch the trailer and go to panniers but I'll give it a try and see what happens.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the "heads up" RG.

My Bikes
    Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Retired last November at 68. Haven't felt this good in years. Mileage up a bit at ~100 miles/week and weight down around/below 190 lbs @6'0". I've always been and continue to be a sound sleeper, typically getting up at 0500 which gives me time to eat breakfast, let the dog out and feed the horses. Here's my question: how many of you find you are sleeping a bit less? Even after a tough 50 mile ride I'll sleep no more than 7 hours and sometimes I just pop up after 6 hours.
    Rick T
    --------
    Volagi - Triple"ized" and Tubeless
    daVinci Joint Venture

Between Lecanto and Hernando Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2013 Cannondale CAAD 10.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sleeping less because the sun comes up earlier in FL and it wakes me up.
    My bikes --> 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2013 Cannondale CAAD 10 2 (5) "Racing Edition"

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

My Bikes
    Trek Madone, Trek 6700, Gary Fisher Hyb.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am 70, and I typically sleep 7-8 hrs per night, but therer are times when 6 hours are enough. Also if I overtrain ,too many rides or a lopt of hard rides back to back, I don't sleep well. Then I back off a day and let the body rest.

Banned
    My Bikes
    2011 Surly LHT 2005 LeMond Zurich
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hooray!

We went together and picked out a decent budget hybrid for my wife's 66 birthday.

She is active and healthy but she resisted biking mostly because she didn't think she could keep up. I finally convinced her that my intense road riding has nothing to do with us enjoying some leisurely recreational riding together. There is also a riding group of woman retirees in our area that she might join.

She done me proud

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Century question for the 70+ riders. One month of training to go before my first century in twenty five years. What was your highest miles ride before the century? Twenty - thirty years ago the wisdom was 75 or 80 was good enough before the 100. I am trying to figure out what level I need to reach before I can feel confident about doing well on the Shiner G.A.S.P. 100 on May 3rd.
    Retired 75 YO. Got my sub 5 ET century at 50 and sub 7 RT at 75. Just want to finish at 80. USNR, USAF, USCGA - riding 2014 Zenetto Steath ZR7.1 Carbon

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ctpres View Post
    Century question for the 70+ riders. One month of training to go before my first century in twenty five years. What was your highest miles ride before the century? Twenty - thirty years ago the wisdom was 75 or 80 was good enough before the 100. I am trying to figure out what level I need to reach before I can feel confident about doing well on the Shiner G.A.S.P. 100 on May 3rd.
    Sounds right to me. Build up to that but taper the weekend before and week of.

Banned
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A local 8K running road race that I participate in, kinda like a rite of spring, only had 36 M and F entries 65 and older out of 1230... and half of those were walk/jog times

That's some drop off

The percentage must higher in bike rides

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lenA View Post
    A local 8K running road race that I participate in, kinda like a rite of spring, only had 36 M and F entries 65 and older out of 1230... and half of those were walk/jog times
    That's some drop off
    The percentage must higher in bike rides
    I don't think so, if current Strava Specialized spring challenge world wide numbers are right. Out of 52,470 total riders only 131 are 65 or over. VERY small percentage!

My Bikes
    Bianchi Volpe 2003. Bike Friday World Tourer. Trek 1.2Alpha
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not so bad here in Austin, TX. We were in the Capitol 10K yesterday: 12000 timed runners, of whom 5580 were men. 250 of them (>4%) were over 65, with 117 (2%) over 70. Not so many women in these age groups. My wife was 8th in the 70-74 division with 1:26;10. I was 24th of 72 in the men's 70-74 division with 1:15:40 (much better than being 7th out of 7 in the Marathon last month!). I was beaten by 8 minutes by a 94-year-old!
    Next week the Austin 10/20, a ten miler, after which I have to get to church to sing in the choir for Palm Sunday service. Then I can start preparing for the G.A.S.P!
    "Because it's there!"

Banned
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A marathon?...wow!

I managed a 52:37 (10:35 pace) for 6th out of 13 in the men's 65-70 8K

Well, here's to all of us that can still do it

Currently living in Oakdale, CA about 20 mi. NE of Modesto in the hot central valley.
    My Bikes
    Surly LHTD with a YAK trailer. I may have to ditch the trailer and go to panniers but I'll give it a try and see what happens.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DougG View Post
    ".......definitely had enough of the camping. Especially at my age, the mandatory getting-up-to-pee at 2AM was no fun, stumbling over tent pegs in the dark trying to find the porta-john, and then if it was raining and I'd had a beer in the evening... .
    Let me introduce you to the concept of the "pee can"!! Mine has a lid on it so it don't get spilled in the tent.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie View Post
    A bit off topic. Yesterday, I received my high school 50th reunion yearbook. Many of my classmates had submitted bios with current photos, although most including myself did not. Of course, some of the submissions were eulogies for those who had passed away. It made me pause a bit, thinking about my mortality, and realizing that most of my life is now behind me. I hope to make the most of my remaining time in this life.
    That's EXACTLY why I've taken up cycling. Next year I finally quit working at almost 72. Most people who retire take up the recliner full time and have serious health issues in three to five years. I'd rather get run over by a truck out on the highway than to die laying in a hospital bed wearing a paper diaper.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by louis le tour View Post
    that's exactly why i've taken up cycling. Next year i finally quit working at almost 72. Most people who retire take up the recliner full time and have serious health issues in three to five years. I'd rather get run over by a truck out on the highway than to die laying in a hospital bed wearing a paper diaper.
    x2

My Bikes
    2014 Cervelo R5 DA Zipp 202s 2012 Scott CR1 Team, 2012 Scott Metrix 10 Hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree on getting out there. Today rode 64 miles averaging 16.8+ and turn 69 tomorrow. Been riding over two years on a road bike.

First fitting, new bike and first time trainer all worth at least one MPH although 15 to 20 MPH winds so think worth more.

As for century, I rode 70 before doing but was doing regular 45 to 55 before which gave the foundation

Let us know how you do.

Ed

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Miami Biker View Post
    Agree on getting out there. Today rode 64 miles averaging 16.8+ and turn 69 tomorrow. Been riding over two years on a roadbike. First fitting, new bike and first time trainer all worth at least one MPH although 15 to 20 MPH winds so think worth more. As for century, I rode 70 before doing but was doing regular 45 to 55 before which gave the foundation. Let us know how you do. Ed
    HO-CHEE-MAMA!! That's some pretty impressive riding there Ed. That 16.8 mph average is just great! Right now I'm doing 25's and feel really good when I get home. Early next month I have a week long vacation and sometime during that week I'm going to something substantially longer, maybe a 50 on flat land with a long rest at the halfway point.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Louis you are doing great. Still working so you are building your foundation. Not sure how long you have been riding but most people our age need three years to reach a very strong level. Of course depends on shape, strength and number of miles ridden.

i rode a hybrid for three years before getting a road bike and have more work to do. Can't keep up with a riding club but getting there. They do 18-25 generally. Today averaged about 18 into the wind with them for 14 miles. Will get dropped for a while but beginning to see the light.

Anyways keep riding, build your core, get a fitting and ride some more. Great sense of achievement huh?

Banned
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How much you weigh, Miami Biker?

just wonderin'

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure lenA. Weigh over 210 which hurts in stop/starts with groups. Hence working on core with trainer and riding hard to get heart rate over 90% of Max.

lost 45 pounds since starting biking about six years ago and 80 pounds in last dozen years.

Banned
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say that makes you an exceptionally strong rider.

I wish there was a place for age and weight in the profile...it would put people's accomplishments more into context.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lenA View Post
    I would say that makes you an exceptionally strong rider.

I wish there was a place for age and weight in the profile...it would put people's accomplishments more into context.
    Thanks lenA, very kind. Working hard to build my speed and endurance before my body says "no thanks."

in the end we are really competing with ourselves to do what we can physically and mentally.

Recently joined Strava premium. There you can filter by age (65 and over) and weight. In my area am only one over 65 and 200+ pounds. So what now? Trying to get stronger and faster to move up regardless of age and weight; by doing hope to lose more weight, my original reason for biking. Of course now it's a lot more than that.

Knowing what others are doing in our age group gives a lot of encouragement about what we can do. Very grateful for this Forum!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Older must be tougher. In Strava Specalized Spring Classic I am in top 25% overall but 40% in over 65.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do y'all taper off or rest the last few days before a century. At fifty I didn't even think about it. At seventy five I am betting it could make a big difference.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello again. First someone sent me a private message about Strava's filters. Do not have 50 posts so could not answer (: Answer: Must purchase premium account to filter for age, weight, gender. Can do monthly or annually.

Second, rode with a friend today and did 17.7 MPH for 58 miles. My fastest yet and frankly very excited. New bike and exercising seem to be working!

Ed

Page 60 of 61 FirstFirst ... 105058596061 LastLast