Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Utility Bike for the Ex.

My ex has been feeling the squeeze at the pumps. I was trying to figure out how much it would cost for her to get on the road in a better manner.

She has not really been on a bike since I've known her. She says she would prefer a pedal forward design so that she can put her feet down at stops. I'm not sure if a Giant Suede or Electra Townie are within the budget.

I imagine that most of her riding would be utility riding. Shopping and errands and a minor possibility of carrying her JRT and toy poodle to the nearby park. She lives in the desert, most of her riding would be on flat, wide roads with the biggest hill being a freeway overpass. There are many shops within two miles.

I assume that she will have to learn to fix a flat, but that most other repairs will be done at her local LBS.

I've been trying to think of everything she would need to get started and get a estimate on it.

Women's Giant Simple Seven $330.00

Bell Vela Helmet $45.00

Blackburn Trail Rack $30.00 and Avenir Metro Panniers $40.00 or Avenir Metro Shopping Pannier $40.00
    or
    Wald 215 rack $25.00 with 2 Wald 582 Folding Rear Baskets $46.00

Lock $40.00

Front/Rear Light Planet Bike Beamer 1 Lightset $30.00

Bungee

Pump Floor and Bike $60.00

Tubes $7.00

Park Tool Bicycle Tire & Tube Repair Kit - TR-1 $5.00

Craftsman Wrench Set $60.00

LCI Road 1 course $50.00

The accessories cost more than the bike!

Have I forgotten anything? Any ideas or comments? Is this the best bang for the buck?
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artkansas View Post
    My ex has been feeling the squeeze at the pumps. I was trying to figure out how much it would cost for her to get on the road in a better manner.

Have I forgotten anything? Any ideas or comments? Is this the best bang for the buck?
    one important accessory you have forgotten is the tow rope. Give her a couple of months and she will be disapearing into the distance so something to get a tow with would be a definite must.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

SSP
    My Bikes
    Trek 5200, Specialized MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For my ex I would buy the heaviest, ill-fitting, Wally-World POS bike I could find. I'd probably also soak the chain in an acid bath for a day or two, after cleaning off every trace of lube. And for good measure, I'd adjust the brakes so they drag just a little bit.

Question: why are you spending time thinking about/helping your ex? That's unnatural.
    CycliStats.com - Software for Cyclists
    WeightWare.com - Weight Management Software

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SSP View Post
    For my ex I would buy the heaviest, ill-fitting, Wally-World POS bike I could find. I'd probably also soak the chain in an acid bath for a day or two, after cleaning off every trace of lube. And for good measure, I'd adjust the brakes so they drag just a little bit.

Question: why are you spending time thinking about/helping your ex? That's unnatural.
    +10,000 except I wouldn't be this nice.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not to everyone After all, in many cases that ex is still your kid's parent.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    1976 Apollo Mk IV, mid-'80s Miyata touring bike, mid-'80s Miyata mtn bike, 2007 Trek 6500 mtn bike, 2008 Trek Madone 5.2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artkansas View Post
    So get a more expensive bike.

Wine Country, 1 hour north of San Francisco
    My Bikes
    Specialized Ruby
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know a woman whose ex-husband and current boyfriend (unconnected to the divorce) together helped her move. I thought that was rather civilized. The ex-husband then moved closer to her new house to be closer to the children. They all seem to get along rather well.
    Embrace diversity: hug a conservative.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awwwww...

The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, just because you can't live together, doesn't mean you can't be friends. Sometimes a little distance is the key to successful relationships.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1
    [SIGPIC]http://www.bikeforums.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=57360&dateline=1197386754[/SIGPIC]
    It's easier to pick a Yankee tourist than a bail of cotton.

My Bikes
    Giant Simple 7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Giant Suede (7 speed) I bought last year was about the same price as the cruiser (Giant Simple 7). both are great bikes as far as I'm concerned. Love the stylishness of the Simple 7. I ended up with the Suede because of the pedals/crank forward and the fact that I have to ride on washboard dirt roads to get to the pavement. Love being able to get my foot down fast - has saved me from some falls. If I lived where everything was paved, I might have picked the cruiser because it's got that classic look.