Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It wasn't my intention...

For reasons completely unavailable to my conscious mind, I did something yesterday that I canít quite explain. My youngest son asked which bike I liked riding the most. He was referring to three bikes that he sees me ride on a regular basis: 1. Habanero Team Issue; 2. Specialized S-Works Roubaix; and, 3. Jamis Eclipse.

I told him I liked them all and didnít really know which I liked the most. His response was, ďWell, donít you think itís time to find out?Ē That made sense to me at the time. So, off I go on the first bike. What was supposed to be a 10 mile ride turned into a 26 mile ride. The bike felt so good. When I returned home, I reasoned that I should ride the second bike on the same route in order to evaluate it fairly. Once again, Iím off and return 26 miles later. Then itís on to the third bike and the same 26 mile route.

I return home from the third outing and my son says, ďItís a shame you donít have a fourth bike to compare. Then you would have completed and unplanned century.Ē Well, this was just too much to pass up. So, I pull down the 80s Specialized Sirrus that gets used as a rain bike and on the trainer. Out I go to return 26 miles later. It was not my intention to ride a century yesterday, but I ended up with 104 miles. Needless to say, the grass didnít get mowed and awaits my attention today.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, did you decide which bike you liked the most?
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Travis View Post
    So, did you decide which bike you liked the most?
    That was going to be my question

I say in the excitement of completing an unplanned century he forgot about the question

Congratulations BSL
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    1976 Apollo Mk IV, mid-'80s Miyata touring bike, mid-'80s Miyata mtn bike, 2007 Trek 6500 mtn bike, 2008 Trek Madone 5.2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beverly View Post
    That was going to be my question

I say in the excitement of completing an unplanned century he forgot about the question
    Well, of course. This is the 50 plus forum. What did you expect.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A 4-bike century! And performed as a quad marathon!

I'm impressed!
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Erect member since 1953 cccorlew's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Fantom Outlaw turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a story. But indeed, which bike (or is that like asking a parent "which child")
    WANTED: Not a darn thing. I've got it all. Life is good.
    Website at curtis.corlew.com óó Bicycle blog at ccorlew.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cccorlew View Post
    What a story. But indeed, which bike (or is that like asking a parent "which child")
    Yeah, it's somewhat like asking a parent which child. BUT, if I had to pick....

The S-Works is wicked fast and light too. Having destroyed several other carbon frames, I find myself riding and worrying about frame failure....

The Eclipse is smooth, but a bit flexy on climbs. It does look very, very cool though....

The 80s Sirrus is what you'd expect from a good steel frame... I could ride it all day, but it doesn't climb all that good (I guess I should say I don't climb all that good on it)....

The Habanero is the one I'd keep if I could only keep one. It has the good qualities of all the others with very few flaws. It's stiff, comfortable, relatively fast, and more than an adequate climber.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

My Bikes
    07 Rivendell Atlantis, 80's Mondonico, 91 Cinelli ATB, 83 Schwinn Peleton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 97 Klein Stage Comp, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM, 84 Bridgestone 200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's the PERFECT thing to on a nice day! Good job. I'll bet by the 4th bike, you forgot what the first bike felt like....

My Bikes
    '01 Specialized Hard Rock, '06 Specialized Sequoia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by solveg View Post
    That's the PERFECT thing to on a nice day! Good job. I'll bet by the 4th bike, you forgot what the first bike felt like....

That was a nasty thing to do to BSLeVan...he'll probably have to do all the rides over again now.

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He should do this at least 4 times, riding the bikes in a different order each time.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    He should do this at least 4 times, riding the bikes in a different order each time.
    Looks to me like it will take 24 complete 4 bicycle rides to get a proper evaluation - or about 2,496 miles.

Hmm Bikes 1, 2, 3 and 4

Bike ride order:

1, 2, 3, 4

1, 2, 4, 3

1, 3, 2, 4

1, 3, 4, 2

1, 4, 3, 2

1, 4, 2, 3

2, 1, 3, 4

2, 1, 4, 3

2, 3, 1, 4

2, 3, 4, 1

2, 4, 1, 3

2, 4, 3, 1

3, 1, 2, 4

3, 1, 4, 2

3, 2, 4, 1

3, 2, 1 ,4

3, 4, 1, 2

3, 4, 2, 1

4, 1, 2, 3

4, 1, 3, 2

4, 2, 1, 3

4, 2, 3, 1

4, 3, 1, 2

4, 3, 2, 1
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 05-14-08 at 04:27 PM.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    Looks to me like it will take 24 complete 4 bicycle rides to get a proper evaluation - or about 2,096 miles.
    Actually 2,496 miles.

I was going to spare him all possible permutations, but I don't know why I was showing him any mercy.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    Actually 2,496 miles.

I was going to spare him all possible permutations, but I don't know why I was showing him any mercy.
    Yeah - 2,496 miles

My Bikes
    2014 Pivot Mach 5.7 MTB, 2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You guys are forgetting that he needs to do this under different weather conditions (dry vs. wet at a minimum).

And then night vs. day (w/headlights, without headlights).

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BSLeVan View Post
    My youngest son asked which bike I liked riding the most.
    I've learned to be real cagey whenever my kids ask a question like that.

If he can get you to name a favorite, the logical follow up is; "Which is your least favorite?" Next thing you know, he's riding a new bike and you're n-1. All of my kids are smarter than me. They got that from their mother. I suspect that they all have more fun than me too. They got that from me.

My Bikes
    Merlin Fortius, Specialized Crossroads & Rockhopper, Serotta Fierte, Pedal Force RS2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my favorite rides change during the year/seasons... lately i've been liking my $549 Pedal Force RS (from the Bike Forums group buy), but in the last couple weeks my Merlin Fortius has grabbed my attention... but for bad road conditions my $100 pawn shop Specialized Crossroads meets the task...

definitely a hard question... (all have Brooks saddles, so that evens the evaluation)...

if i had to hazard a guess on which bike i valued the most, i would use the scenario of a hurricane evacuation: in that instance, the Merlin would be saved over the others...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post

If he can get you to name a favorite, the logical follow up is; "Which is your least favorite?" Next thing you know, he's riding a new bike and you're n-1. All of my kids are smarter than me. They got that from their mother. I suspect that they all have more fun than me too. They got that from me.
    I actually just finished restoring a Trek 950 Single Track for his use. We were putting the new Avid Shorty brake arms on when I told him that at one time this bike was considered a moderately to better than average hard tail off road ride, and that I always liked the way it handled. That's when he asked about my current favorite.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you undersold the 950. I really like the way my 970 (same frame) rides and handles. I have begun the process of yet another reconfiguration of this frame. It has proven to be a very adaptable platform.

Congrats on the unexpected century.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have one Tandem---Can't afford another.

Have two MTB's but the 12 year old Kona doesn't get ridden much as the Bianchi works better.

Have 3 road bikes and although I do not ride the OCR much now- All 3 do get used.

So what is it about these road bikes that makes N+a few a necessity?
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Resurrected this thread while searching about..........I ride an 80's Specialized Sirrus regularly on the road and maintain it as a serious road bike-- a bit heavy but I like the handling. Still has the original front derailleur.

So, BSLeVan, which of your 4 bikes at the time do you find yourself currently riding most often by this point in time.?

My Bikes
    Giant OCR2, Motobecane Fantom Trail, Specialized Hard Rock, Giant Nutra
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post

Yeah, I just recently went N-1. After getting a new MTB, I put some smooth 2" tires on my old rigid Hard Rock. It was a lot of fun riding around the neighborhood when I didn't want to get all geared up for the road bike, but didn't feel like riding the knobbies on the MTB on the street. Well my wife took a liking to it and now it's her bike. It's worth it though, lost a bike but now my wife goes riding with me sometimes. I tried several years ago to get her interested, bought her a hybrid, then a road bike because she said the hybrid was too slow. Well she decided to give the road bike to the oldest daughter and gave up riding. She loves the Hard Rock though.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now you need a second opinion. Have your son do the same rides.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

My Bikes
    Norco (2), Miyata, Canondale, Soma, Redline
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the laughs. I'm splitting my gut at this thread.

I say you underrated the 950 as well. I commuted on a 970 for a few years before deciding to go for a bike with disc brakes to deal with the rain conditions up this way. I went for a pretty high end bike, Specialized Stumpjumper M4 that then got 700c wheels laced to disc hubs. But you know what? It gave up something that the 970 had. That was a fantastic frame.
    Model airplanes are cool too!.....