Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 05-14-08, 05:35 PM   #1
Longfemur

Bikes:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Another reason for proper lycra shorts

I have cycling shorts, but I don't always wear them. Yesterday, I'm out on my road bike, stopped at an intersection, waiting for a break in traffic. I'm wearing regular baggy civilian shorts. There are two girls on mountain bikes just behind me also waiting.

So, there's enough of a break that I think I can scoot through, and look very professional while doing it (even at 54, my instinct is still to impress girls with my prowess, I guess - like young women would really care or even notice!). I start out to go with my relatively fancy-looking road bike and its SPD pedals. But instead of going, my pant leg gets caught in the saddle somehow as I'm remounting, or maybe it was on my pump mounted on the seat tube, I'm not sure at this point. I end up not moving forward at all, because as I was trying to execute this maneuver quickly, the pant leg problem ends up making my foot miss the pedal entirely and instead of going forward, I half fall over to the pavement. What a dork!

This is why, even a somewhat pot-bellied 50 year old Fred should cycle with the proper cycling gear unless riding a beach cruiser.
Longfemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-08, 06:19 PM   #2
Jet Travis
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longfemur View Post
instead of going forward, I half fall over to the pavement. What a dork!
Proper cycling shorts are no barrier to dorkdom. Years of experience have enabled me to execute this maneuver while wearing full cycling regalia.
Old 05-14-08, 06:23 PM   #3
cyclinfool
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
Think how bad you would have looked in full kit
cyclinfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-08, 06:26 PM   #4
maddmaxx 
Small Member

Bikes: Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Hmmmm. By any chance, were clipless pedals involved?
Old 05-14-08, 07:07 PM   #5
Longfemur

Bikes:
No, the clipless pedals were not involved, because I never even had the opportunity to clip in.

By the way, I forgot to mention that I wasn't going very fast that day because I had had a fast ride the previous day. You know, it can take we 50-plus guys a bit more time to recover. So I also had to endure the embarrassment of having the two girls suddenly pass me a few hundred meters later.

Today, I regained some of my manhood by getting mad and voicing my opinion to a numbskull bicycle rider who ran his red light while I was riding through my green one. I realized after that I was probably taking out my previous day's frustration on him. Normally, I would just have ignored him as the cost of doing business as a cyclist in a modern city.
Old 05-14-08, 11:28 PM   #6
bobbycorno

Bikes:
Sounds like an out-take from the Monty Python's Flying Circus episode "The Cycling Tour". Every day it's "...fell off. Pump got caught in trouser leg."

SP
bobbycorno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-08, 12:03 AM   #7
Buglady

Bikes: 2013 MEC Col Ltd. road bike; 2012 MEC Silhouette hybrid; 2001 Specialized Allez (too small); 1984 Raleigh 5-speed city bike; 1985 Boyes-Rosser tourer; 1976 Raleigh Twenty folding bike; 1988 (?) Kuwahara "Blaze" mountain bike
Think of it this way, at least you did not have your shorts get caught on the saddle in such a way that they fail to accompany your butt onto the saddle....

(Yes, I have come ALL TOO CLOSE to pants-ing myself in this way... and yes, I bought Lycra the next day )
Buglady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-08, 05:33 AM   #8
stonecrd
OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach

Bikes: Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro
I know how you feel. I was riding the other day and women passes me in a car and is looking quite close at me. I am coming up to a light and I was riding no handed drinking from my bottle, looking very pro. The light is red and as I glide up effortlessly I realize it is not going to turn green, I did not down shift so my gearing is too high. So I am trying to shift running out of time realize I need to unclip, can't get my left foot out proceed to yank both feet out of the clips right at the light. While I didn't fall over I sure looked like a crash ready to happen. Sheepishly I continued my ride. So even with the correct attire you can make a fool of yourself.

2013 Noah RS
stonecrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-08, 05:57 AM   #9
Lion Steve

Bikes: '06 Raleigh Cadent road bike,'05 Trek 7200 hybrid,' 83 Schwinn Le Tour SS conversion
I'm in baggy shorts when my wife and I take a ride together. I sometimes encounter a problem with the shorts getting caught in the saddle during a dismount. It's irritating to look so clumsy.
Lion Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-08, 06:25 AM   #10
Beverly
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
These posts would be so much better if they were accompanied with pictures or video

I have a pair of baggy cycling shorts that have been hanging in my closet for several years as I had the same problem with them

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Beverly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-08, 06:36 AM   #11
Ken Brown
cycling fanatic

Bikes: Cannondale T800
Quote:
or maybe it was on my pump mounted on the seat tube, I'm not sure at this point.
Girls probably wondered if that was a pump in your shorts or were you excited to see them.
Ken Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-08, 01:29 PM   #12
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Yet another reason for "Tight" lycra.

Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-08, 01:41 PM   #13
Timtruro

Bikes: Aegis Trident (Big Red)
Hopefully they were not giggling??
Timtruro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-08, 02:32 PM   #14
Camilo

Bikes:
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
baggy civilian shorts.

two girls

fancy-looking road bike

all over to the pavement

What a dork!

This is why, even a somewhat pot-bellied 50 year old Fred should cycle with the proper cycling gear unless riding a beach cruiser.
Your shorts, bike, fall, etc. have nothing to do with dorkiness. According to my teenaged daughters' spoken and unspoken comments, it is inevitable, no matter what you do, it is your essence. Might as well embrace it.
Camilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-08, 02:34 PM   #15
Longfemur

Bikes:
Glad to know I'm not alone with such problems. Funny thing is though, I don't remember that ever happening to me before. By the way, that Monty Python cyclotourist sketch is one of my favourites.

My daughter often rides with me during her summer break off from teaching. I thought she was always way behind because I was fast, but now I'm thinking maybe she just doesn't want to be seen with me :-)
Old 05-15-08, 03:40 PM   #16
swan652

Bikes: '01 Specialized Hard Rock, '06 Specialized Sequoia
Quote:
No, the clipless pedals were not involved, because I never even had the opportunity to clip in.
What say ye Maddmaxx? Be he a Tombay or not? Although not clipped-in his steed was attired with the proper accoutriments, the forward progress was naught and the required witness present.
swan652 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-08, 05:56 PM   #17
Camilo

Bikes:
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Glad to know I'm not alone with such problems. Funny thing is though, I don't remember that ever happening to me before. By the way, that Monty Python cyclotourist sketch is one of my favourites.

My daughter often rides with me during her summer break off from teaching. I thought she was always way behind because I was fast, but now I'm thinking maybe she just doesn't want to be seen with me :-)
Ya THINK?

Seriously - she wouldn't even go out if that was the case... plus, she's not a teenaged girl. Huge difference, even when they turn 20!
Camilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-08, 02:18 PM   #18
Consularrider

Bikes: Giant Transend, Salsa Pistola, Raleigh M60, Raleigh Sport Touring Team USA
Gee, even tight lycra can get caught by the nose of the saddle when remounting, especially when damp.
Consularrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-08, 05:16 PM   #19
cyclinfool
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
Some people shouldn't wear lycra shorts

Some people should
cyclinfool is offline   Reply With Quote