Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another reason for proper lycra shorts

I have cycling shorts, but I don't always wear them. Yesterday, I'm out on my road bike, stopped at an intersection, waiting for a break in traffic. I'm wearing regular baggy civilian shorts. There are two girls on mountain bikes just behind me also waiting.

So, there's enough of a break that I think I can scoot through, and look very professional while doing it (even at 54, my instinct is still to impress girls with my prowess, I guess - like young women would really care or even notice!). I start out to go with my relatively fancy-looking road bike and its SPD pedals. But instead of going, my pant leg gets caught in the saddle somehow as I'm remounting, or maybe it was on my pump mounted on the seat tube, I'm not sure at this point. I end up not moving forward at all, because as I was trying to execute this maneuver quickly, the pant leg problem ends up making my foot miss the pedal entirely and instead of going forward, I half fall over to the pavement. What a dork!

This is why, even a somewhat pot-bellied 50 year old Fred should cycle with the proper cycling gear unless riding a beach cruiser.

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Longfemur View Post
    instead of going forward, I half fall over to the pavement. What a dork!
    Proper cycling shorts are no barrier to dorkdom. Years of experience have enabled me to execute this maneuver while wearing full cycling regalia.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Think how bad you would have looked in full kit
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hmmmm. By any chance, were clipless pedals involved?
    Just take it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, the clipless pedals were not involved, because I never even had the opportunity to clip in.

By the way, I forgot to mention that I wasn't going very fast that day because I had had a fast ride the previous day. You know, it can take we 50-plus guys a bit more time to recover. So I also had to endure the embarrassment of having the two girls suddenly pass me a few hundred meters later.

Today, I regained some of my manhood by getting mad and voicing my opinion to a numbskull bicycle rider who ran his red light while I was riding through my green one. I realized after that I was probably taking out my previous day's frustration on him. Normally, I would just have ignored him as the cost of doing business as a cyclist in a modern city.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like an out-take from the Monty Python's Flying Circus episode "The Cycling Tour". Every day it's "...fell off. Pump got caught in trouser leg."

SP

My Bikes
    2013 MEC Col Ltd. road bike; 2012 MEC Silhouette hybrid; 2001 Specialized Allez (too small); 1984 Raleigh 5-speed city bike; 1985 Boyes-Rosser tourer; 1976 Raleigh Twenty folding bike; 1988 (?) Kuwahara "Blaze" mountain bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Think of it this way, at least you did not have your shorts get caught on the saddle in such a way that they fail to accompany your butt onto the saddle....

(Yes, I have come ALL TOO CLOSE to pants-ing myself in this way... and yes, I bought Lycra the next day )

OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach stonecrd's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know how you feel. I was riding the other day and women passes me in a car and is looking quite close at me. I am coming up to a light and I was riding no handed drinking from my bottle, looking very pro. The light is red and as I glide up effortlessly I realize it is not going to turn green, I did not down shift so my gearing is too high. So I am trying to shift running out of time realize I need to unclip, can't get my left foot out proceed to yank both feet out of the clips right at the light. While I didn't fall over I sure looked like a crash ready to happen. Sheepishly I continued my ride. So even with the correct attire you can make a fool of yourself.
    The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard and the shallow end is much too large

2013 Noah RS

My Bikes
    '06 Raleigh Cadent road bike,'05 Trek 7200 hybrid,' 83 Schwinn Le Tour SS conversion
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in baggy shorts when my wife and I take a ride together. I sometimes encounter a problem with the shorts getting caught in the saddle during a dismount. It's irritating to look so clumsy.

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These posts would be so much better if they were accompanied with pictures or video

I have a pair of baggy cycling shorts that have been hanging in my closet for several years as I had the same problem with them
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Cannondale T800
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    or maybe it was on my pump mounted on the seat tube, I'm not sure at this point.
    Girls probably wondered if that was a pump in your shorts or were you excited to see them.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yet another reason for "Tight" lycra.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hopefully they were not giggling??
    "If there are no cigars in heaven, I shall not go." -Mark Twain

'12 Salsa Casseroll (Pepé)
    '09 Specialized Roubaix Elite (Black Stallion)
    '89 Puegeot Bordeaux (Big Blue)
    '08 Specialized Sirrus Comp (Shadow)
    '06 Trek Navigator 500 (The Beast)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    baggy civilian shorts.

two girls

fancy-looking road bike

all over to the pavement

What a dork!

This is why, even a somewhat pot-bellied 50 year old Fred should cycle with the proper cycling gear unless riding a beach cruiser.
    Your shorts, bike, fall, etc. have nothing to do with dorkiness. According to my teenaged daughters' spoken and unspoken comments, it is inevitable, no matter what you do, it is your essence. Might as well embrace it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad to know I'm not alone with such problems. Funny thing is though, I don't remember that ever happening to me before. By the way, that Monty Python cyclotourist sketch is one of my favourites.

My daughter often rides with me during her summer break off from teaching. I thought she was always way behind because I was fast, but now I'm thinking maybe she just doesn't want to be seen with me :-)

My Bikes
    '01 Specialized Hard Rock, '06 Specialized Sequoia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, the clipless pedals were not involved, because I never even had the opportunity to clip in.
    What say ye Maddmaxx? Be he a Tombay or not? Although not clipped-in his steed was attired with the proper accoutriments, the forward progress was naught and the required witness present.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad to know I'm not alone with such problems. Funny thing is though, I don't remember that ever happening to me before. By the way, that Monty Python cyclotourist sketch is one of my favourites.

My daughter often rides with me during her summer break off from teaching. I thought she was always way behind because I was fast, but now I'm thinking maybe she just doesn't want to be seen with me :-)
    Ya THINK?

Seriously - she wouldn't even go out if that was the case... plus, she's not a teenaged girl. Huge difference, even when they turn 20!

My Bikes
    Giant Transend, Salsa Pistola, Raleigh M60, Raleigh Sport Touring Team USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gee, even tight lycra can get caught by the nose of the saddle when remounting, especially when damp.

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some people shouldn't wear lycra shorts

Some people should
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.