Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How bikes are *really* made

There's a thread elsewhere on BF about whether it's possible to buy a parts group made in the USA. Buried about a billion posts down is a really interesting article about how bikes are really made, and why Taiwan is so important to the bike business. The article is 6 years old, but still worth reading.

This would not be new news to any of you who have done foreign sourcing in your lives, but it's a good primer on what foreign manufacturing looks like for companies that do their design/marketing in the U.S.

Here's the link to the article (it's long, but interesting):

http://www.slowtwitch.com/Features/T...e_biz_271.html

And here's the original thread:
    parts/groups made in USA

Credit to BF member geoffvsjeff for posting the article (which I guess has been around BF before, but I hadn't seen it).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow that was interesting. I started after college in manufacturing, stereo speakers in particular, and metal stamping/forming.

The only single thing I would disagree on is about the paint from Taiwan. Most of it is great but the reborn Masi had frames made in Italy and shipped to Taiwan to paint and build out before import to the USA. The paint was terrible. It would chip if you looked at it sideways.

bac
    My Bikes
    Too many to list!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BengeBoy View Post
    Here's the link to the article (it's long, but interesting):

http://www.slowtwitch.com/Features/T...e_biz_271.html
    Wow ... that's the first time I've seen this article. It's worth a read for sure.

... Brad