Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Young'ns Thread

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Young'ns Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-08, 07:41 AM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by solveg
EVERYONE is allowed in this thread!!!!!

I get to make the rules. He who knows all said so!
Old 05-17-08, 07:47 AM
Squirrel

Bikes: Borthwick Touring bike, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, ?? Bianchi Torino

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
This is like that Julie Andrews movie where the warm hearted nanny has to soften up the big bald mideastern mogul. Or that Julie Andrews movie where she is a warm hearted nanny and has to soften up that German Father with all the kids. Or that Julie Andrews movie where she's a warm hearted but odd nanny and has to soften up the neglectful parents and date the chimney sweep.
Old 05-17-08, 07:54 AM
Banned.

This is like that Julie Andrews movie where the warm hearted nanny has to soften up the big bald mideastern mogul. Or that Julie Andrews movie where she is a warm hearted nanny and has to soften up that German Father with all the kids. Or that Julie Andrews movie where she's a warm hearted but odd nanny and has to soften up the neglectful parents and date the chimney sweep.
My wife loves JA, also, but WOW! - you see a lot of movies!

Do you sing?
Old 05-17-08, 07:58 AM
Squirrel

Bikes: Borthwick Touring bike, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, ?? Bianchi Torino

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
My wife loves JA, also, but WOW! - you see a lot of movies!

Do you sing?
Good enough to make your ears fall off and your teeth go loose.
Old 05-17-08, 09:18 AM
Yen
Surly Girly

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Timtruro
has anyone ever sen a live possum??
Yes, just last week in our back yard. It was small and very cute, huddle among the plants by the fence at the back corner. I got pictures and I'll post them later.
Old 05-17-08, 09:29 AM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Does this mean we will have to start a 50+ at heart forum as well?

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 05-17-08, 02:15 PM
Banned.

Originally Posted by Artkansas
Does this mean we will have to start a 50+ at heart forum as well?
Forgive me, but somehow, that is what I thought the other 42+ bicycling forums were for. The young'ns. How come we have a special thread for young'uns in the 50+ forum. Makes no sense to me, since the entire rest of the place is theirs.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 05-17-08 at 02:19 PM.
Old 05-17-08, 03:22 PM
Squirrel

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Because we like to bug our elders! It is as it always has been, and always will be....
Old 05-17-08, 08:09 PM
Squirrel

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Y'know, I don't post much for 2 months, and when I start posting again, suddenly there's a bunch of griping about how many youngins there are! Do I need to start a poll as to whether I should be booted off the island?
Old 05-17-08, 08:42 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
While I'm not one who is big on rules in general, I do understand where DnvrFox is coming from. There about 45 forums within BikeForums and only one is exclusively intended for people who are 50 & over. He fought for a long time to get 50+ established. The purpose of this forum is really not be a general forum, but rather a place for people who are 50 and over to discuss cycling and life issues relevant to those who are 50 & over.

If the forum attracts a lot of participants who are under 50, it runs the risk of losing the focus and purpose of this sub-forum. In a way it would be like a group of mountain bikers moving into the road forum, or a bunch of posters from Florida going into the NorCal forum.

I don't think anyone here wants to be hard-nosed and rude, and most of us don't like being enforcers. Undoubtably there are many 50+'s who are young at heart, and many sub-50'ites who share many of the same interests. So there is no hard dividing line for many of the issues discussed here.

Personally I feel that having a few near-50's that do blend in well, that do face the same life issues, is fine. But if a large number of people who are in their 30s or early 40s come in, then that threatens the purpose of the forum. It moves the forum toward the same purpose as the "General Cycling Discussion" forum, which is an all-ages forum.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Last edited by Tom Bombadil; 05-17-08 at 08:47 PM.
Old 05-17-08, 09:09 PM
Squirrel

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Okay.

Old 05-17-08, 09:15 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It was just one opinion. Being a statistician, a sample size of one is meaningless.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 05-17-08, 09:43 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
Being a statistician is meaningless.
I fixed it for you.
Old 05-17-08, 10:21 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Someone once told me that if you laid all of the statisticians end to end ... it would be a good thing.
Old 05-17-08, 10:34 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am reluctant to argue with our resident statistician. My mind is too confounded by all the facts and figures anyway, so I just throw up my hands in agreement.
Old 05-17-08, 10:59 PM
Don't mince words

Bikes: '16 BH Quartz, 2017 Calfeecustom carbon tandem, Fuji D6 TT bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Okay.

Keep posting, but don't brag about how young you are. I won't tell.
Old 05-18-08, 05:07 AM
Banned.

Originally Posted by Red Rider
Keep posting, but don't brag about how young you are. I won't tell.
solveg - are you one of those "touchy, feely" folks? - -who don't want ANYONE left out of anything?
Old 05-18-08, 06:51 AM
Squirrel

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I hadn't really viewed it from the perspective that Tom gave, and I see the point. I'm responding here because you asked me a direct question, plus I'd like to make the case for less rigidity. I understand that if you get more than the occasional under 50 year old you have to get more rule-abiding, but since I'm really the only under 50 year old that posts regularly, I kinda have to assume that I am not the exception I thought I was.

But here's the case for more acceptance:

You say that all the rest of the forums are appropriate for the under 50 crowd, and this is the only place where you guys can discuss all the things that have to do with being older.

What drew me to this forum in the first place was the description "especially good for those starting out or returning to cycling."

Returning to cycling after 25 years is a very 50+ type of topic, and there are people younger than I am who are doing this and need help. It's like having a group for "retirees returning to college" and then rejecting some 60 year old because they still work, even though they're in school full time on the weekends. The issues are still the same.

Plus, I feel that if a person feels that the 50+ group is where they belong psychologically, it probably is* where they belong. Every friend I have, besides one, is 10 years older than I am. Every friend I've had my whole life has been older than me. I started school a year young, and when I hit high school I dated seniors and my friends were seniors, so even when age was critically important, your age group has always been my peers. Suddenly, at this age, when years don't mean as much, there's some age cut off which excludes me from the people who motivate me to get on my bike and get better at it.

Lastly, which of these plentiful forums should I go hang out at? The road forum? Most of the forums are pretty technical regarding their topic. I just am not that interested in gear topics. I like to go visit.

But:

I don't hammer--period
I'm not so heavy I have equipment issues, and the Clydes forum is way more about pushing yourself than I am. I'm a coaster. And a yodeler.
I love vintage bikes, but those guys are a BAD influence!
I don't mountain bike, cyclocross, ride an electric bike or tandem, build frames
I don't BMX or do triathalons
The A&S people scare me
I don't have kids at home for the family board.

That leaves general cycling, which is more of a "I have a question or comment, and it doesn't really fall into any categories"

So, I, as a 47 year old: have back and knee issues, like to read threads about bike trips and look at photos, like to talk about retirement and lifestyle changes, and have only really been riding again for a year--so I'm still dealing with shifting and hill issues and learning how to ride in traffic and keep my body fueled.

You tell me a better place to go, ignoring the fact that I really LIKE you guys.

But, like I said, I understand what Tom said, although I think it's too rigid. But it's your group. I don't want to put anyone in the position of being forum cop, although I suspect that there's one or two who would love the job.

And, DnvrFox, to answer your question... yes. I think people should only be excluded if they're mean.

Last edited by solveg; 05-18-08 at 06:59 AM.
Old 05-18-08, 07:03 AM
Banned.

Oops!

This is getting SERIOUS!

Of course, anyone is welcome. How in the world could anyone be stopped? And ages are easily disguised.

I think what highlighted the issue was the admittedly 34 (or was it 36?) YO posting.

I also started the Recreational Forum, but Joe added on "& Family" at the last moment.

The recreational forum was specifically designed for the more "recreational rider" - someone who loves bicycling, but isn't into the technical or competitive or OCP side of bicycling, they just loved to hop on a bike and ride.

However, the "& Family" that Joe added - now reading "Recreational & Family" has markedly changed the emphasis into a family forum, and, at times, a hybrid forum. I.e., "What kind of child carrier should I use," or "Should I buy a $400 Trek 7300 or Specialized Cross" or whatever.

Originally the "General" forum was highly used, and it was the first forum listed. However, that got changed because the other forums were suffering in posts because everyone used the general forum, and the general forum was moved to last place, and has suffered ever since.

But, hey, we enjoy you! Stick around.
Old 05-18-08, 07:06 AM
Squirrel

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Oh, good! I thought I was getting kicked out!
Old 05-18-08, 04:22 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I didn't write anything that would kick you out. I specifically included a statement that near-50's that "blend in well" and had many of the same life issues, were fine additions.

Old 05-18-08, 06:54 PM
Don't mince words

Bikes: '16 BH Quartz, 2017 Calfeecustom carbon tandem, Fuji D6 TT bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
[QUOTE=solveg;6715208]Plus, I feel that if a person feels that the 50+ group is where they belong psychologically, it probably is* where they belong. Every friend I have, besides one, is 10 years older than I am. Every friend I've had my whole life has been older than me. I started school a year young, and when I hit high school I dated seniors and my friends were seniors, so even when age was critically important, your age group has always been my peers. Suddenly, at this age, when years don't mean as much, there's some age cut off which excludes me from the people who motivate me to get on my bike and get better at it.

[QUOTE]

So what, are you a Red Hat (or Helmet) in training?
Old 05-18-08, 07:17 PM
Squirrel

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

So what, are you a Red Hat (or Helmet) in training?
No! It's just weird that my friends are older... I suppose it's because I don't have kids, so the only friends who had time to do stuff were the older ones whose kids are grown...

Mostly, I don't really know how old people are until we get to be good enough friends to observe birthdays.

But it is* really odd. But, like I said, even in high school most of my friends were 3-4 years older because of who I was dating. I don't think they really thought of me as being younger...

But, C'mon...all this brouhaha over 3 years! It's not really much at all.
Old 05-18-08, 07:34 PM

Bikes: Litespeed Tuscany , Lemond Poprad, 1970's Motobecane Grand Record

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I lked this thread better when we were talking aout dog years. (and please don't start that photo color stuff again). Speaking of dog years, do small breeds normally live longer than big ones? The chart said that Australian Shepherds live 13 years. We have a miniature one that is 13 and seems pretty healthy but now I am beginning to worry about her.
Old 05-18-08, 07:58 PM
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Oh, good! I thought I was getting kicked out!
I've said it before and I'll say it again: Stick around, baby. This flophouse could use a little class.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.