User Tag List

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A new bike about to arrive

I'm like a kid at Christmas waiting for the new bike (Trek 520) to arrive.

The LBS estimated mid-May when I ordered it a couple months back. I called Tuesday to see if they had an actual date. He said he had just received confirmation about an hour earlier that is was on its way and should be here today or tomorrow. He'll have all the parts swapped and have it ready for me early next week. Maybe I'll visit the LBS this weekend to get an early peek at it
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

Wine Country, 1 hour north of San Francisco
    My Bikes
    Specialized Ruby
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So exciting, Bev! Can't wait for pictures.
    Embrace diversity: hug a conservative.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You definitely must go see it.

My Bikes
    2014 Pivot Mach 5.7 MTB, 2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I commute on a vomit-green 2006 Trek 520, which I purchased used on eBay. Love it. It's a tank.

They are pretty hard to find; most Trek dealers don't stock them.

BTW, I have well over 2,000 miles on mine now -- no flats! The stock Bontrager (Trek) tires are working great and show almost no wear.

As long as you have a dealer who is swapping out parts, you might ask him/her to put on Salmon Kool-Stop brake pads right from the start. The stock pads are pretty awful, IMHO; an opinion shared by other owners. If the dealer won't give you credit for the stock pads, you can keep them as spares.
    Last edited by BengeBoy; 05-15-08 at 11:37 AM.

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now that you have the 520 coming, what's your next bike going to be?
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Pat
    My Bikes
    litespeed, cannondale
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad to hear that you are eagerly anticipating your new bike. I hope it gives you much pleasure.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee View Post
    Now that you have the 520 coming, what's your next bike going to be?
    Well, I'm still missing a nice hybrid type bike for the local trails. Then again I'll probably be needing that trike for my "old and wobbly" years I guess I could use the daughter's Townie instead of the trike. I've always wanted a pink bike..... You should know the N+1 rule and the female's shopping genes are a dangerous combination

Haven't decided on the trike but this one might fill the hybrid type requirement.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    My cancer updates:

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really like the way that 520's look. Might have been tempted to buy one, but that traditional geometry gives me fits.

That 7.3 FX hybrid is a decent deal. Solid components for the price.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    2014 Pivot Mach 5.7 MTB, 2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beverly View Post
    Well, I'm still missing a nice hybrid type bike for the local trails.
    I would never try to talk someone out of buying another bike, but -- I've ridden my 520 on gravel/dirt with the stock 32c tires. It can take even bigger tires if you want. If you really wanted to be offroad more, maybe a second set of wheels, with cyclocross tires? Unless you're after the upright geometry of the hybrid, the 520 could likely go anywhere it could.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BengeBoy View Post
    I would never try to talk someone out of buying another bike, but -- I've ridden my 520 on gravel/dirt with the stock 32c tires. It can take even bigger tires if you want. If you really wanted to be offroad more, maybe a second set of wheels, with cyclocross tires? Unless you're after the upright geometry of the hybrid, the 520 could likely go anywhere it could.
    I'm looking for the upright geometry. I do have a mountain bike that would probably work with a different set of tires. I think my off-roading days are over.....too much back damage to take a chance on rough terrain

Maybe I could kill two birds with one stone and buy a pink hybrid
    My cancer updates:

-- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beverly View Post
    I think my off-roading days are over.....too much back damage to take a chance on rough terrain:
    Sorry to hear this, Beverly. I thought we had lured you over to the dark side. Is this because of something that has happened or are you being influenced by overly cautious advisors?

I have been pleasantly surprised at how well my back has taken to some pretty aggressive offroading. Even the hardtail wasn't causing me problems until I started doing faster rides for longer distances on rougher terrain, making the full suspension bike more appealing. Maybe a Thudbuster could help.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A stock mountain bike works well on bike paths. But I feel a 700c, thinner (32-38mm) tire hybrid is better. Hybrids take a lot of criticism, but they are excellent bike path bikes.

A mountain bike with a thinner, smoother tire is almost as good though. Would likely be heavier than that fixed fork hybrid you listed, but would also absorb bumps better. The local paths around here have some jarring ones if you aren't paying attention.

I agree the 520 with 32 tires would also be a nice path bike, if it is comfortable for you.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    Sorry to hear this, Beverly. I thought we had lured you over to the dark side. Is this because of something that has happened or are you being influenced by overly cautious advisors?

I have been pleasantly surprised at how well my back has taken to some pretty aggressive offroading. Even the hardtail wasn't causing me problems until I started doing faster rides for longer distances on rougher terrain, making the full suspension bike more appealing. Maybe a Thudbuster could help.
    I'll never give up the road bikes but at the present I can't stand to pedal due to numbness in the left leg. I'm scheduled for some physical therapy starting next week. Hopefully this will remedy the problem.

I've still been riding 50-75 miles each week and I've learned to take most hills around here while sitting and spinning I was able to ride the reserve near home which has some 5-10% grades last week. I'm sure the new 520 with it's lower gears will take most hills I encounter.

Being stretched out on the road bikes really does seem to help
    My cancer updates:

-- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post

Forgot....the one mountain bike park we have around here is just a little too tough for me to ride even with two working legs. I've been told the trails in another park not too far from home has much better trails. I'll be checking them out later this summer.
    My cancer updates:

-- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 520 is a classic. Great choice!
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beverly,
    That 520 is going to be a classic. I have a touring bike and I will be riding it to a meeting this evening seeing as its Bike-to-Work Month, Week and tomorrow it will be the Day. First time riding with the lights on since the winter time (which somehow seems like a long time ago).

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Beverly;6701621 I'm sure the new 520 with it's lower gears will take most hills I encounter.[/QUOTE]

Since I am a low-gear fanatic I put even lower gearing on the Trek 520 than it comes with stock. I swapped out to a Deore MTB crank; I think my chain rings are 48-34-24 or 22. I forget now. In any case, the stock crank on mine had an inner chain ring of 30, which was OK, but not ultra-ultra low.

Many 520 owners swap out the crank to get ultra-low gearing, as I did -- mine will climb anything now.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BengeBoy View Post
    Since I am a low-gear fanatic I put even lower gearing on the Trek 520 than it comes with stock. I swapped out to a Deore MTB crank; I think my chain rings are 48-34-24 or 22. I forget now. In any case, the stock crank on mine had an inner chain ring of 30, which was OK, but not ultra-ultra low.

Many 520 owners swap out the crank to get ultra-low gearing, as I did -- mine will climb anything now.
    So will my Compact Double- It's the rider that struggles.

I used to ride MTbs- 44/32/22 and 11/34. Even used that on the road rides aswell. Went road and a triple--52/42/30 and 12/28. That got me up every hill I wanted to. Then the "New" bike(s) and a compact double-50/34 and 12/27. Haven't walked up a hill yet but there must be one lurking somewhere waiting to hurt me.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Compact doubles don't cut it for loaded touring bikes. Even the 30 tooth small ring that comes stock on the 520 is too high for serious loaded touring in hilly country. As BengeBoy noted, many 520 owners swap the cranks for lower gearing.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.