Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

In Defense of 65+

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

In Defense of 65+

Old 05-18-08, 01:46 PM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
In Defense of 65+

In Defense of 65+

I have noticed a couple of - err ..... jabs . . . . at having some 65+ info and discussions.

Hey, guys, 65 is one of those MAJOR transitions in life.

It represents the traditional retirement age.

It is the MEDICARE date (or close to it, anyways), and for some the SS date.

It is when the younger folks start thinking you are not only OLD, but ANCIENT.

And, it represents the time when you officially become "wisdomized."

So, if you haven't gotten there yet, just remember - YOU MIGHT NOT MAKE IT AND WE HAVE!

And treat us 65+'rs with the proper respect due our status!

(Oops - hey, that brick missed me. Try throwing another. I am pretty agile at dodging those things, even though I am 68!)
Old 05-18-08, 03:16 PM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
There is no defense for 65+...............................................hang around for a couple of more and I'll begin to see it your way.
Old 05-18-08, 03:20 PM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
(Oops - hey, that brick missed me. Try throwing another. I am pretty agile at dodging those things, even though I am 68!)

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 05-18-08, 04:16 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
And treat us 65+'rs with the proper respect due our status!
That is exactly what we've been doing!

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 05-18-08, 07:56 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Artkansas
"Little ain-jal "
Old 05-19-08, 08:03 PM

Bikes: mid 80s Ross Centaur converted to Alfine 11 09 motobecane imortal force, 83 Ross Paragon,81 Schwinn LeTour Tourist, 91 Paramount, 93 GT converted to city bike

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ok,I need to share...
Couple of Sundays back while heading up to the ride start for the club I beling to, I found myself behind 9 cyclists doing a fair clip up the same direction I was headed.
I latched on to the end of the pace line and felt proud I was keeping pace at their 18mph clip.
The end rider asked me where I was heading and I told him I was splitting off in abut another mile or two to join the club for their ride.
Yeah, he said; we do this stretch up to (he mentioned the intersecting road)as a warm up.
Ironiclly, I actually ran right into the same group returning from their ride (I led the slow riders in our club ride and we stopped for coffee so no huge mileage was totaled..maby 25 )as I left the clubs members back at the lot we'd started the ride at.
The pace line was again doing around 18.It was their cooldown portion of the ride.
I asked how far they'd gone..They'd tripled what I'd done.
I'm mentioning all this because: I'm 65 and as i discovered, I was the baby in that line of riders.
Old 05-19-08, 08:20 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Given how much different life is for me today at 53 as compared to where I was at 40, there is no doubt that it will also be much different at 65, given that I live that long.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post