Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 29
  1. #1
    Let's do a Century jppe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    North Carolina
    My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Posts
    5,834
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Beef with Performance Bicycle

    Save your postage and don't send me a letter wanting me to sign up for your Mastercard Credit Card. How lame........Your letter just joined the hundreds of others I get on an annual basis. Just shows how desperate your company is becoming. If you want to get me to do more business with you, expand your product line and reduce your rates. Hail to the LBS's!!!!

    Okay I feel better........

  2. #2
    Small Member maddmaxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Posts
    7,044
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

  3. #3
    OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach stonecrd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Weston, FL
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro
    Posts
    2,161
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keeps the shredder busy. I probably get 2-3 CC apps every day which I get to dice and slice. Seems like an awful waste of paper and I don't think it is a very effective way to market.
    The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard and the shallow end is much too large

    2013 Noah RS

  4. #4
    Ride Daddy Ride Jet Travis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Villa Incognito
    My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Posts
    2,649
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This might sound silly but it worked for me: For awhile every time I got junk mail from a credit card company, I mailed back in the free postpaid envelope the entire contents of the solicitation (including the outer envelope) and wrote, "Take me off your list." It took about six months, but I almost never get solicitations any more. Ah, the joys of being a cranky old man.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

  5. #5
    Spelling Snob Hobartlemagne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    My Bikes
    Panasonic DX4000, Bianchi Pista
    Posts
    2,863
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe View Post
    Save your postage and don't send me a letter wanting me to sign up for your Mastercard Credit Card. How lame........Your letter just joined the hundreds of others I get on an annual basis. Just shows how desperate your company is becoming. If you want to get me to do more business with you, expand your product line and reduce your rates. Hail to the LBS's!!!!

    Okay I feel better........
    Its not a sign of desperation- they are expanding into new money making products.

    The first rule of flats is You don't talk about flats!

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Ottawa
    My Bikes
    Stevens Strada 600
    Posts
    155
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe View Post
    Save your postage and don't send me a letter wanting me to sign up for your Mastercard Credit Card. How lame........Your letter just joined the hundreds of others I get on an annual basis. Just shows how desperate your company is becoming. If you want to get me to do more business with you, expand your product line and reduce your rates. Hail to the LBS's!!!!

    Okay I feel better........
    Tape the return card to a brick and send it back to them. The post office is required to deliver the item and the company is required to pay the postage. A little sweet revenge.

  7. #7
    Scott n4zou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    My Bikes
    Too Many
    Posts
    2,393
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stonecrd View Post
    Keeps the shredder busy. I probably get 2-3 CC apps every day which I get to dice and slice. Seems like an awful waste of paper and I don't think it is a very effective way to market.
    DON"T SHRED! Stuff all the contents back in the postage paid envelop and return. This forces them to pay postage both ways doubling there postage costs and keep your friendly neighborhood postal worker employed.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.bikeforums.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=57360&dateline=1197386754[/SIGPIC]
    It's easier to pick a Yankee tourist than a bail of cotton.

  8. #8
    Senior Member gcottay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Green Valley AZ
    My Bikes
    Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4
    Posts
    3,772
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aubinmg View Post
    Tape the return card to a brick and send it back to them. The post office is required to deliver the item and the company is required to pay the postage. A little sweet revenge.
    Please don't do that. The rules changed some years ago and your brick will only end up in the USPS trash.

    We can, though, just send the blank or name-obscured card or the envelope back.
    George
    Laissez les bon temps rouler

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    My Bikes
    1976 Apollo Mk IV, mid-'80s Miyata touring bike, mid-'80s Miyata mtn bike, 2007 Trek 6500 mtn bike, 2008 Trek Madone 5.2
    Posts
    730
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought this was going to be a recipe thread.

  10. #10
    Last one to the top... Little Darwin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Wilkes-Barre, PA
    My Bikes
    Many
    Posts
    6,793
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My gripe is that the Performance/Nashbar conglomerate should spend half of the effort they spend on coming up with two new sales per "company" every week to make some real difference in their shipping delays.
    Slow Ride Cyclists of NEPA

    People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

  11. #11
    Last one to the top... Little Darwin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Wilkes-Barre, PA
    My Bikes
    Many
    Posts
    6,793
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stonecrd View Post
    Keeps the shredder busy. I probably get 2-3 CC apps every day which I get to dice and slice. Seems like an awful waste of paper and I don't think it is a very effective way to market.
    It is actually supposed to be the most cost effective way to market... Why do you think they do it?

    I do find it interesting that Capital One (or fill in any one of a dozen others) actually find it cost effective to send me dozens of pieces every month...

    When my credit was questionable, I was especially curious why someone would continue to send me applications after refusing to give me credit.

    But, it keeps us Postal workers employed.
    Slow Ride Cyclists of NEPA

    People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    6,901
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Travis View Post
    This might sound silly but it worked for me: For awhile every time I got junk mail from a credit card company, I mailed back in the free postpaid envelope the entire contents of the solicitation (including the outer envelope) and wrote, "Take me off your list." It took about six months, but I almost never get solicitations any more. Ah, the joys of being a cranky old man.
    Used to do that but now we just shread em and put the remains is our Historical Society's paper recycling bins. Paper is not landfilled and the society gets some $ to keep running.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    S.E. Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    1,737
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by n4zou View Post
    DON"T SHRED! Stuff all the contents back in the postage paid envelop and return. This forces them to pay postage both ways doubling there postage costs and keep your friendly neighborhood postal worker employed.
    No, please don't do this. I've heard and read numerous places that one of the reasons first class postage continues to go up (note I said ONE of the reasons) is because of reduced rate mail for business. Hence, every time business sends (or receives something in their postage paid return envelope) those of us who pay primarily first class rates end up subsidizing it.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    S.E. Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    1,737
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've tried to make it a point not to give any personal information to retail stores during the check out process. I believe it is the collection of such information that forms the foundation of marketing data bases that get sold and re-sold. I believe if we can reduce the number of business places our private information is stored, we reduce the amount of junk mail we ultimately get. So, when a clerk asks for such information, I politely say, "You don't really need this." If they seem too flustered or insistent, I give them a pseudo name, address and phone number. So, if any of the retailers our there are reading this thread, yes, I'm the Herman Gluztmier that keeps showing up with the 1600 Pennsylvania Ave, Washington DC address.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

  15. #15
    His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Paoli, Wisconsin
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Posts
    9,980
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, they should focus more of their efforts upon selling $75 nutritional supplements

    http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...%20Supplements

  16. #16
    Senior Member Retro Grouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    St Peters, Missouri
    My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Posts
    23,100
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Darwin View Post
    My gripe is that the Performance/Nashbar conglomerate should spend half of the effort they spend on coming up with two new sales per "company" every week to make some real difference in their shipping delays.
    I'm thinking the shipping delays are deliberate. Whenever I've paid the extra charge for 2nd day shipping my order has arrived promptly. If I opt for regular ground shipping, however, it takes the full 14 days. I think they deliberately wait 10 days before picking orders for regular ground shipping.

  17. #17
    VoodooChile zoste's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    AZ
    My Bikes
    Salsa Casseroll
    Posts
    1,048
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BSLeVan View Post
    ...I give them a pseudo name, address and phone number. So, if any of the retailers our there are reading this thread, yes, I'm the Herman Gluztmier that keeps showing up with the 1600 Pennsylvania Ave, Washington DC address.
    That's my tactic, too, especially when an internet site insists on an address...just in case you ever get anything with a return address of

    Hadji Bashir
    1313 Mockingbird La.
    Manama, Bahrain
    Sometimes nothing can be a real cool hand

  18. #18
    Last one to the top... Little Darwin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Wilkes-Barre, PA
    My Bikes
    Many
    Posts
    6,793
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BSLeVan View Post
    No, please don't do this. I've heard and read numerous places that one of the reasons first class postage continues to go up (note I said ONE of the reasons) is because of reduced rate mail for business. Hence, every time business sends (or receives something in their postage paid return envelope) those of us who pay primarily first class rates end up subsidizing it.
    This is not true.

    The Postal Service is specifically prohibitted from subsidizing one type of mail by charging extra in another class of mail.

    Business class mail is reduced rate because they do the sorting. I believe business return mail is pretty much not discounted.

    However, I would be cautious about sending anything in the mail simply to get back at someone for sending advertising through the mail, or falsifying anything that uses the mail. The mail fraud statutes are very broad. I think sending something of no value, or false information in order to force someone to pay postage is probably within the scope of existing fraud laws. I am sure the usual up to X months in jail and Y thousands of dollars in fines are specified somewhere.
    Slow Ride Cyclists of NEPA

    People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

  19. #19
    Let's do a Century jppe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    North Carolina
    My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Posts
    5,834
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobartlemagne View Post
    Its not a sign of desperation- they are expanding into new money making products.

    I guess you could make that argument.........but what a shame. They ought to focus their time and energy at doing their core business better.

    They have the look and smell of the Wal Mart of cycling........

    God Bless the LBS's!!!!!!!!

  20. #20
    Time for a change. stapfam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Posts
    19,915
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still getting Junk mail over there???

    One of the things that has occured over here is the predominance of Broadband. As virtually every home has a PC and if they don't, They have access. The UK has the highest number of homes connected to the net in Europe and the big problem is keeping your address secure enough to stop Spam.

    We don't get junk mail- Just Spam.---And that gets shredded with the push of a button without even opening.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.


    Spike Milligan

  21. #21
    Senior Member BengeBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Seattle, Washington, USA
    My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Posts
    6,923
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    Still getting Junk mail over there???...One of the things that has occured over here is the predominance of Broadband. As virtually every home has a PC and if they don't, They have access. The UK has the highest number of homes connected to the net in Europe and the big problem is keeping your address secure enough to stop Spam....We don't get junk mail- Just Spam.---And that gets shredded with the push of a button without even opening.
    I believe that the data privacy laws between the UK and the US are quite different. In the UK, as I understand it, it's not legal to use customer data for "non-obvious" purposes. In other words, in the U.S., if you shop at Performance (either catalog, the web, or in store) they can rent your name to a bank that will then mail you a solicitation for a credit card. Or, they can rent your name to a long list of other interested parties -- camping stores, magazines, etc. etc.

    In the UK, however, it's "non-obvious" that if you buy a bike part from a catalog that you would then be solicited by a third party for a credit card. So, while I believe it's legal for them to solicit you to purchase another bike part from them, it wouldn't be legal for them to rent your name for "non obvious" follow up purposes.

    As a result, I don't think marketers rent names widely to other marketers. When I lived in the UK, I got probably 95% less "junk mail" than I do in the U.S. - and this was well before broadband was well penetrated in the UK (I was on dial-up in my home).

    (BTW, there are a lot of PhD statisticians employed by the U.S. direct mail industry....none of us would be getting these credit card solicitations if it wasn't profitable for someone...)

  22. #22
    Senior Member BlazingPedals's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    central Michigan
    My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Posts
    6,792
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe View Post
    I guess you could make that argument.........but what a shame. They ought to focus their time and energy at doing their core business better.
    Basic misunderstanding: Performance Bike is not in the business to sell bike stuff, they are in the business to make money, and selling bike stuff is how they got their start. Like most any businesses, if they get the opportunity to make more money by selling cattle prods to shepherds in Outer Slobovia, they will do it! Credit cards are easy to make money off from, because there's no hardware to stock. They're probably paid per piece, by the bank, when they mail it. Supplements are another great money-maker - like cosmetics, they are dirt cheap to manufacture and the profit margin is just short of obscene (IMHO.)

  23. #23
    Time for a change. stapfam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Posts
    19,915
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BengeBoy View Post
    I believe that the data privacy laws between the UK and the US are quite different. )
    The selling on of addresses may be one difference- but We have an "Electoral Roll" that lists name age and address of every person that can vote in the UK. Any company can use this to post anything they want to you. But Mailing out cost's money. Using the internet doesn't. The electoral role may not specify my buying habits- but it will tell them that I live in a certain "Class" area and that I own my own home.

    If I just make an enquiry to a compny by Internet- If I give my E-Mail address- I start getting all sorts of un-associated Mail from all sorts of companies. I get round this by Typing part of the address in CAPITal letters and then it gets rejected by the spamming senders computers as a bad address. Or I enter the address as doug@ instead of stapfam@. There must be someone with doug@ that gets a lot of funny mail.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.


    Spike Milligan

  24. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    S.E. Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    1,737
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Darwin View Post
    This is not true.

    The Postal Service is specifically prohibitted from subsidizing one type of mail by charging extra in another class of mail.

    Business class mail is reduced rate because they do the sorting. I believe business return mail is pretty much not discounted.
    There is some truth in what you say. I suggest, with all due respect, that what the regulations prohibit and what actually takes place are two different things. My father worked for two decades in a post office sorting mail. Much of it, by his report was already pre-sorted mail. It still needed to be sorted at the micro-level for each specific letter carrier's route. Additionally, if you watch letter carriers as they sit in their vehicles, you will frequently find them sorting the mail that has already been sorted/routed to their specific routes.... all of which takes time. The mail must still be carried via a motorized vehicle and then on foot in order to be delivered. As an experiment on month (several years ago) we saved all of the junk mail we received and weighed it. The total came out to a bit over four pounds. While this does not seem to be a great deal, if you multiply it by thousands of individual households, that is a considerable amount of additional weight that must be transported, at an added expense. I would further suggest that simple sorting is not the singular expense of delivering this stuff.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

  25. #25
    Last one to the top... Little Darwin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Wilkes-Barre, PA
    My Bikes
    Many
    Posts
    6,793
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BSLeVan View Post
    I would further suggest that simple sorting is not the singular expense of delivering this stuff.
    But what makes you think that the one or two personal letters a month subsidizes the pounds of bulk mail received a week?

    What makes you think that the 82 cents in first class postage subsidizes the delivery of all of the business mail that is delivered in the same time, as opposed to the infrastructure to handle the pounds of business mail facilitating keeping the first class rate so low?
    Slow Ride Cyclists of NEPA

    People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •