User Tag List

My Bikes
    Felt Z35
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I need a kick in the BUTT!!!

For some reason I just am not riding like I want to. I have the want to but for some reason can't put the want to on the road. Haven't been eating right maybe that has something to do with it. I went to city group ride today had a great time 12 miles at about 10mph. Should have rode more when we were done but came home and outher things. I need to be inspired or something. I have a 50 mile ride the last of june and if I don't get with it I might as well stay home. I think I need a riding accountability partner. Is that not the dumbest thing you have ever heard. Sorry I just needed to get this out.

My Bikes
    3 Woodrup Star Trophy models, Bianchi Pista, Ochsner, Rockhopper, Puch Mistral Leader, Mercian Touring, Bridgestone XO-2, Basso Gap
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey,

I feel you. I just finishted building up a beautiful Basso Gap vintage from 1995? It's Campy 8 speed and has ergos, Mavic Helium wheels, etc... etc.. and it's just sitting there looking at me along with my other 9 bicycles going. Are you going to ride us or what? My problem is a little too much stress at work so what can I say. It's a crappy excuse and I feel for lack of a better term "fat" not phat. Maybe it's time to pull on that 75 Woodrup that made me really enjoy riding. Or just getting up early and getting on the bike. However, you are doing better than I am you are at least getting out. Hmmm... maybe I need to pull on that Bianchi Pista... ahh.... the choices.

Roland
    osmium

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The best cure for what ails you is to keep riding until you you ride through whatever funk you're in. It may happen on the next ride. It may be 20 rides from now. But it will happen. Just ride through it.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Felt Z35
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    The best cure for what ails you is to keep riding until you you ride through whatever funk you're in. It may happen on the next ride. It may be 20 rides from now. But it will happen. Just ride through it.
    Thanks Dawg - Sometimes I loose my focus. I can't do but one thing at a time. Outher things have been pulling at me that can't be helped but I just need to ride through it. That and like osmium I feel FAT. Haven't gained any weight but am working on it big time. That's what I do under stress I EAT. I need to let it make me ride.

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone who rides and posts here...anyone...is in the top 10-20% of the nation, especially at our ages, in fitness. And we feel your pain. I have chronic fatigue and it is a chore everytime I ride to make myself velcro up and get out the door.

In my own case, I ask myself "What would DG do?"

Then I go do the opposite.

Just kidding. The nice thing about this site is how we old coots encourage each other to get out there and ride.

So, what are you waiting for........?

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tntom View Post
    I think I need a riding accountability partner. Is that not the dumbest thing you have ever heard. Sorry I just needed to get this out.
    Having a riding partner isn't a bad idea. I find I'm more likely to go out riding when I've made plans to join someone for a ride. This is one of the main reasons I joined the local cycling club. I would never ride as much if I were riding alone all the time.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Felt Z35
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beverly View Post
    Having a riding partner isn't a bad idea.* I find I'm more likely to go out riding when I've made plans to join someone for a ride.* This is one of the main reasons I joined the local cycling club.* I would never ride as much if I were riding alone all the time.
    I wish I had one. A friend was going to get a bike but instead he bought a in the house bike. Told me the outher day he don't ride it anymore. He has only had it about a month. I work with anouther guy that rides but he aint much fun to ride with with him it's always a race.The club is having a Saterday ride now that the weather is better. I am going to start riding it week after next. This Saterday I am going to ride Cades Cove in The Smokey Mtns. No cars till noon on saterday. Will see lots of deer and wild turkey. I will ride the 11 mile loop than go ride River Road To Townsand.

If any of you folks ever come to East Tn. Let me know and we will go ride the cove. It is a beaotiful place.
    Last edited by tntom; 05-17-08 at 09:23 PM.

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I understand. I've been in a slump for a week. Fortunately, I walk to/from my office at work and take the stairs, otherwise I'd have gotten NO exercise this past week. And it's VERY HOT here the past few days as well (hovering at or near 100). And as if that weren't enough.... is it hot in here or is it me? (We need a new icon for sticking one's head in the freezer.) I just can't get my get-up-and-go to get up and go.

That said..... sometimes I just have to FORCE myself to get out. Don't think about it too much, just do it.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    +1000

Maybe we can have a sticky of daily/weekly/whatever rides so we can be accountable to each other. Or if not a sticky, maybe a thread like the weight loss thread, to which we contribute virtual kicks-in-the-derrière.

Sometimes we ride our bikes, sometimes the bikes ride us.

This too shall pass.
    When my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, *****, she's awake!"

Visit my blog.

My Bikes
    Randonee
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A friend of mine that runs and doesn't ride calls me every day with the same question: "Have you ridden 15 or more miles today?" He doesn't deal with excuses well. Let's just say he is persistent and tough.

So, I started an overall get in shape program two weeks ago. Jogging 3 miles per day and working out with weights at the gym four days a week. Heavy on core body exercises consisting of bridges and sit ups and crunches on a ball. I've dropped over five pounds and have to admit that my butt cheeks are sore! I had a sore left knee from pushing to hard of a gear and have worked that out now so it is time to put the bike back into the aerobic training regimen.

Getting through a slump of funk is tough and I couldn't do it without the encouragement if not out right
    being implored to get going by an accountability partner.

Now if I could just find someone to ride with. It would be great!
    F Thomas

"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving."
    Albert Einstein (1879-1955)