Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Lancashire England, but at the moment on an extended tour of South East Asia
    My Bikes
    Thorn Ravan Catlayst, Bill Nickson tourer, Bill Nickson Time Trial, Claud Butler Cape Wrath, Motobecame Tandem etc etc
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some lessons are expensive...

Like rushing for the train to get a ferry, putting your wallet in the wrong pocket, carrying bags, and getting onto a carriage packed like sardines.
    And then finding some *(#^*%^ has lifted your wallet, and you are at the end of the line with RM50 ( $1) left in your pocket. Trying to cancel bank cards drains your remaining credit on mobile phone, the idiot on the other end won't phone back or cancel the cards in the given time. Even though you explain that you do not have much credit and NO money.

The lesson was not too expensive, but worse than it could have been as I had money for Malaysia RM 140 approx, and money for Indonesia Indo Rupiah 500,000 so about 50 pounds in total.

I have waited for 2 months to receive new cards issued by the bank to combat fraud ( my old ones had not expired),
    the first time they sent them to australia, they were forwarded, but the address given was wrong so they went back to the UK. and got lost in the post so 2 weeks ago I spent a frustrating weekend trying to cancel them and get the bank to issue new ones.
    I finally managed to get enough credit and signal to manage to do it. And ensure the address in Malaysia was the correct one.

I received the cards, only to find they did not allow to withdraw cash, just get a balance, and all my accounts had disappeared from the internet.

Frustrated ...... again!!!!!!

A few days ago everything was put in order, and I arranged everything to get the ferry to Indonesia.

and I got my pocket picked.

Trying to explain to the call centre that I wanted to cancel cards they had only just sent was just too maddening to try to explain.

Sorry folks, just needed to get it all out.

Waiting in Kuala Lumpur again for new cards to be delivered to the British Embassy

george

Touring, don't you just love it
    ---------------------------------------------------
    https://sites.google.com/site/imjibi/home

Photos of present tour of South East Asia
    http://picasaweb.google.com/georgeidf50/southeastasia

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Jibi.........you are a strong man............most would have gone home by now and pulled the covers over. You are to be congratulated for having the stuff to do what 99.98% of the population will only read about.

There continue to be many folks in this 50+ forum who are my hero's.

My Bikes
    Atlantis, Jack Taylor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The bright side is that very minor bits of irregular behavior, such as hurrying, do often get people killed. You, on the other hand, are still alive. Congratulations! And keep up the good work! But, eh, maybe there's a better place to stash your wallet, no?

My Bikes
    Thorn Ravan Catlayst, Bill Nickson tourer, Bill Nickson Time Trial, Claud Butler Cape Wrath, Motobecame Tandem etc etc
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphP View Post
    The bright side is that very minor bits of irregular behavior, such as hurrying, do often get people killed. You, on the other hand, are still alive. Congratulations! And keep up the good work! But, eh, maybe there's a better place to stash your wallet, no?
    Thanks. yes I am alive, just

And as I said I put the wallet in a pocket where it don't normally live.

Next time

george

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always worry about this happening to me when I'm in big cities. I've been known to switch my wallet to my front pocket when in crowded areas. Don't know how effective this is.

I do feel for you, I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

A friend of mine recently went biking in a large national park, way down in southern Utah. Very isolated. Left his wallet in his car. No other cars around. Got back, still no other cars around, but his window was busted and his wallet gone. I couldn't believe someone would travel that far out into the wilderness and then rob somebody.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
    Jibi.........you are a strong man............most would have gone home by now and pulled the covers over. You are to be congratulated for having the stuff to do what 99.98% of the population will only read about.

There continue to be many folks in this 50+ forum who are my hero's.
    +1
    Don't know what I'd do in that situation but I'm sure I wouldn't handle things as calmly as you have.

You're due for some good luck, George.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So who is calm???

I am tearing my hair out waiting for a code so I can get funds from a bank here in Malaysia.

And today was a public holiday, banks closed anyway

Frustrated is the best way to describe it.

Still it could be worse,

I could have a white bike ,
    But I would rather top myself LOL

good luck is on it's way to singapore on thursday

george

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have any change to buy yourself a beer. I think you need one. I would.

My Bikes
    Randonee
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gotta watch those pick pockets in that part of the world. The most feared pick pockets in Hong Kong are Blind! For Real!
    F Thomas

"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving."
    Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! What a story. This may be very mis-guided, so ignore if it doesn't have any relevance to you and your situation. When traveling in crowds, I carry my wallet in my front pants pocket with a large, thick rubber band around it (it tends to snag clothing when someone tries to remove it). And, I always carry some extra cash hidden in/on other parts of me. Finally, I carry some "throw away money" in an easy to get location. By throw away money, I mean some money that I will easily give up if accosted by someone with a weapon. Several times in large US cities, this tactic has kept me from bing injured or having my entire wallet taken. This may seem extreme, But I've been stranded places I did not want to be with no cash once to often in my time.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys

First time in 30 years, that I can remember, my cards and money have been in the same place.

And the last!!!

So it has been the weekend,banks closed here, then it was Vesak, Buddha's birthday, a bank holiday, so I finally got to a bank with the magic code........computers were down

Trying to stay calm....

Went to the main branch and finally I managed to get funds, so I have had a good meal and quite a bit of brandy. a bottle of beer costs 14ringgit, a bottle of brandy costs 18.... go figure...

Looking back at the night it happened

The most amazing thing was I sent a text message to a friend while on the train back, he called me back, connected the call through his computer to the bank in England on VOIP and I could get my cards canceled very quickly.And I was able to change all my banking log-in details before the train was back in Kuala Lumpur. The girl in the ticket office had given me a free ticket

Lets be careful out there

george
    after a bit too much brandy maybe LOL