Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Newbie saying hi

Hi all,
    I've been lurking for a few weeks and wanted to say hi. Great forum, good people and information!
    Got into road cycling last August when I purchased my trek 5.9. Logged 1000 miles through mid November when I had to give it up due to the cold weather. Started up again in late february and just passed 1000 miles for this year so far. I would love to do a century by fall, but I am not sure that I can do it. My longest ride has been 41 miles. I just turned 59 2 weeks ago.
    I ride by myself so information learned from this forum has been very helpful. I hope to contribute.
    Michael
    Michael

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hope you realise what you are setting yourself up for. 59 hasn't come in any of the Sub- sub forums yet so you might be posting on your own as well as riding. Century by the end of the year with the milage you are doing now should be possible.

Welcome and

What Bike?

What PIE?

These are the main things we want to know-----and pics ofcourse.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

rck
    My Bikes
    cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome abroad boulderroad! Don't worry about the century-there is plenty (if at times, conflicting) of good advice to be found in the forums re:training and nutrition. Figure out what works for you and the century will come when its ready.

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Oh sure...........just come waltzing in off the street with a new 5.9 and a thousand miles so far this year.

See if we start a thread for 59 after that........

Welcome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome. If you're doing rides of 41 miles, it seems that a century by season's end is not out of the realm of possibility.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you're ready for the century now.

And you have to pay $25 to all the people with little read stars by their names.
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome.

I see that you're in Boulder. I'm in Fort Collins myself. There are a number of centuries rides in the area, including (I think) two that start in Boulder. The Sunrise Century is in June, and has over 7000ft of climbing. Looks pretty difficult unless you love to climb. The Buffalo Classic is in September and goes North along the foothills to Fort Collins. With about 4000ft of climbing, it's should be easier, but there are some short climbs that are not easy -- the climb to Carter Lake is pretty steep. Even if you don't want to do an organized event, this would be a pretty nice route.

Nick

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With that bike, a good bit of mileage under your seat already and already doing 40 mile rides, you can definitely do a century this fall. You only need the desire to do so and a plan to gradually increase your distance over the next few months.

Did you bring beer?
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to 50+. Pull up a rocking chair and join the rest of us olde pharts.

To prepare for your fall century, start experimenting with fuel and fluids in addition to increasing your max ride length. You'll need to have both sorted out for your long ride. With a thousand miles on your legs and butt, you're off to a great start.

My Bikes
    specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome we like you no matter what you ride, its that you ride
    (Life is too short to play crappy guitars) 2006 Raleigh Cadent 3.0, 1977 Schwinn Volare, 2010 Windsor tourist. ( I didn't fall , I attacked the floor)

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by doctor j View Post

To prepare for your fall century, start experimenting with fuel and fluids.
    I've been experimenting with pinot noir and dark chocolate as part of my recovery regimen. Sometimes I don't even bother with the bike ride.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boulderroad View Post
    Hi all,
    I've been lurking for a few weeks and wanted to say hi....I ride by myself so information learned from this forum has been very helpful. I hope to contribute.
    Welcome! I figure that just by getting out there on the road you're already contributing. Another 50+ rider does us all good, and likely inspires some of your neighbors/co-workers/family members as well.

Banned.
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the 50+ forum and to BF. Seems you are well equipped bike wise and off to a good milage base. Best of luck and stick around.

Bill

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wilkommen! (I ride an Austrian bike. )
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all!
    The $25 checks are in the mail.
    Michael