Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another Dirt/Road project

MaddMaxx has his Dormouse project making a roadworthy/dirtworthy bike from a 26" wheel MTB, and here is mine. I'm going with my favorite Frankenbike conversion vehicle, Lugnut, my '92 Trek 970 lugged steel fully rigid 26" wheel MTB.

I'm still assembling parts and trying options, but it is starting to take shape. I'm using a mix of parts selected for function and economy. Some of this stuff is really low end, but good quality. No bling. Parts so far:

Frame: 1992 Trek 970 - True Temper OX Comp II dbl butted chromoly tubing (made in USA)
    Fork: Tange Big Fork - Triple butted chromoly - not suspension corrected (OEM)
    Wheels: Sun Rhyno Lite rims, Shimano LX 32 hole non-disk hubs, 14g SS spokes
    Tires: Performance Forte FasTrac 26X1.9 smooth center MTB tires - folding bead
    F.Der.: Shimano Deore (recent model)
    R. Der.: Shimano Deore (recent model)
    Crankset: Shimano Alivio 22/32/44 square taper ($10 Nashbar closeout) Nashbar BB
    Pedals: Crank Bros. Smarty
    Cassette: Shimano 8 speed, 11-28
    Chain: KMC 7/8 speed
    Shifters: Schwinn labeled Suntour ratcheting friction bar ends (to be snagged from Uncle Duke)
    Stem: Nashbar comfort 1-1/8
    Handlebar: Origin-8 Gary Bar - MTB drop bar
    Brake levers: Tektro RL520 road brake levers for linear pull brakes (ordered)
    Brakes: Tektro linear pull (like V-brakes)
    Seat post: Kalloy
    Saddle: Brooks Flyer
    Rear rack: Blackburn Mtn Rack

Can't wait to get all the parts and time to put it together and dial it in. I did pedal it around the yard with no shifters or brake levers, and the bars felt good.

Most recent configuration:

The new setup so far:
    Last edited by BluesDawg; 06-24-08 at 05:44 PM.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That's going to look good. Dormouse has been stuck in "dirt mode" for some time (and I like it a lot that way) cause I got side tracked and stole some of the project parts for White Rabbit IV (yes IV.......I know........I know........but this aero bike thing is hard) On the other hand, the Rabbit has given up some parts that will be going to Dormouse. I think I'm just brake levers (Jenson couldn't diliver mine as there appears to have been a run on them) and a Shimano rear derailleur away from having enough parts.

What's the bar diameter on that bar (not the clamp, but the equipment area?)

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
    I think I'm just brake levers (Jenson couldn't diliver mine as there appears to have been a run on them) and a Shimano rear derailleur away from having enough parts.

What's the bar diameter on that bar (not the clamp, but the equipment area?)

My LBS ran into the same problem on the brake levers. Looks like QBP has them in stock again, so they should be on their way soon.

The bar is sized for road components, not MTB. Can't recall what that diameter is at the moment.

I think this is going to be a fun bike. This is a sweet handling frame. I enjoyed it in MTB mode, but it needs some kind of twist to keep it in the ride rotation since the FSR came into the mix. I think it may become my "go to" bike for casual rides and occasional MTB rides in specific situations.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Road equipment mounts on a 24mm bar area, MTB on something less.

I think you've hit the design requirements on the head.......................something less than an all out MTB dirt machine................or a general purpose "go to" bike.

Its weird how you and I have come to a similar but different design from such different frame starting points.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As Lugnut is a steel Trek 970 ... was it made in Wisconsin? If it says Made in the USA on it, then it was.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    As Lugnut is a steel Trek 970 ... was it made in Wisconsin? If it says Made in the USA on it, then it was.
    Yep, made in USA.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    cheesehead...................................

recycle beercans.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Recycle aluminimum bike frames to make beer cans.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From your list of equipment, it looks like this is going to be a highly functional ride. I'm curious about your impressions of what I consider to be quick handling with this frame and your intended use. One thing that surprised me on my recent 950 restoration is how tight and quick the bike handles.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I agree that the Trek 900 series frames were definitely not of the old slack steering type, but more in line with the quicker handling designs that Bridgestone and others adopted. (Come to think of it, it is turning out to be very similar in setup to a '87 MB-1. )

I have ridden this frame quite a bit both on road and off with normal MTB riser bars and with Nitto Moustache bars. I like the quick steering in both arenas. It is not squirrely, just responsive. It will hold a line in a hard turn but will not get upset if I decide to change the line mid-turn. I bought this frame mostly because it was lugged steel construction, but it is the handling that has made it a keeper.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And now the project is complete, tested and named. Meet Kemo Sabe, shown here with its faithful sidekick preparing for the battle ahead.

jwh
    My Bikes
    Trek Fuel EX8, Miyata 914,Trek Madone 5.2, Kona Jake The Snake
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks good!
    I'm planning on doing the same with a 92' Specialized Hardrock I bought for my wife way back when.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Now, that is nice. BD, you have beaten me to the completion of this project by a wide margin. Dormouse will not be completed untill late fall if not over the winter.

This is a prime example of a general purpose bicycle that started as a mountain frame instead of a hybred or roadbike frame. At the present elevated prices of everything road, this is a good budget build and a good bicycle for all road (and not so road) surfaces. I look forward to more like this and a comparison with dormouse later this year.

Suitable name too you rascal.

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks nice! Like the moustache bars.

Now would you leave that Trek alone for a while and let it get to know its own identity!
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool deal, BD. A bike for anything. I've been thinking about a steel hardtail build with the pile of parts left over from breaking the frame on my old mtb, but I would put the short travel fork on it. Nashbar has an 853 frame for under $300, know anything about them?

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by big john View Post
    Cool deal, BD. A bike for anything. I've been thinking about a steel hardtail build with the pile of parts left over from breaking the frame on my old mtb, but I would put the short travel fork on it. Nashbar has an 853 frame for under $300, know anything about them?
    I've read a lot of good reports about that frame. Enough that I'm sure I would have one if it came in a color other than arnge.

I think a suspension fork would make the bike much more dirt oriented than what I built. This thing corners like a road bike.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks nice! Like the moustache bars.

Now would you leave that Trek alone for a while and let it get to know its own identity!
    Not moustache bars, dirt drop bars (Origin-8 Gary). Similar, but these give much better control for offroad work. I did have moustache bars on this frame when I first built it up as "Snidely Whiplash".

Tell you what. I'll stop reconfiguring this frame if you'll stop giving people advice about road bikes.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I looked into that frame a few months ago and did some research on it. I only found a few reviews, but they were positive. I came away thinking that it was a good value.

Also considered frames from Salsa, which offered a lot of quality for the dollar.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I looked into that frame a few months ago and did some research on it. I only found a few reviews, but they were positive. I came away thinking that it was a good value.

Also considered frames from Salsa, which offered a lot of quality for the dollar.
    Thanks! I was wondering if it's the same frame as the steel Motobecane sold by BikesDirect?

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks! I was wondering if it's the same frame as the steel Motobecane sold by BikesDirect?
    BD sells a steel Motobecane MTB frame? Link?

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    And now the project is complete, tested and named. Meet Kemo Sabe, shown here with its faithful sidekick preparing for the battle ahead.
    Cool! I love doing projects like that. The only bad thing is that, when you get it just right, you don't feel like you can take it apart and reconfigure it some other way.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, BD can take it apart and reconfigure it. Believe me on that!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read a couple of posts that suggested the Nashbar frame was similar to the Rocky Mountain Blizzard frame, but there was no confirmation of that.

http://www.silverfish-uk.com/product...rameset.php?r=

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read a couple of posts that suggested the Nashbar frame was similar to the Rocky Mountain Blizzard frame, but there was no confirmation of that.
    Somehow it never seemed right to me to start with a brand new frame for any of my project bikes. I've always started with something that I already had around the house or rescued at a garage sale or something like that.

Anybody got a 40 hole Sturney Archer hub?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    BD sells a steel Motobecane MTB frame? Link?
    Fly Ti MTB has landed

After finding this and re-reading it, the bike might not be for sale yet. Looks pretty good, though.

Fly Ti MTB has landed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast