Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

The dormouse meets the White Rabbit!

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 05-19-08, 03:27 PM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts

At last, the White Rabbit (IV) and the Dormouse sit side by side or nose to nose in ridable condition. The TT bike "White Rabbit" is in its 4 version because a. I'm not very good with pure TT bars, b. The land here does not have enough flat and traffic free roads for me to train and c because I'm not very good with pure TT bars. This is the short extension version with drop bars for its ability to climb.

The MTB "Dormouse" is the current dirt "road" bike intended for general use and to be my usual training bike. The pictures show a similarity in the fork angles and trail. This results in handling remarkably similar to the Rabbit and was the principal design requirement for the training mule. The bars are just a smidge taller as comfort on dirt for longer distances seems to require a more upright position. As with BluesDawg's current conversion, drop bars may yet be installed. They will be at the slightly higher height also to maintain the legs to chest angles as on the TT bike.

It has been fun to build a pair at a time to see if one rider could be happy with either on a moments notice without a lot of change.

Last edited by maddmaxx; 06-01-09 at 05:53 PM.
Old 05-19-08, 03:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Definitely a cool theme going on there. Great looking bikes. Next, ride reports?
Old 05-19-08, 06:08 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Outstanding, Maxx. Don't tell DG I said this, but I really like the white.
Old 05-19-08, 06:17 PM
Squirrel

Bikes: Borthwick Touring bike, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, ?? Bianchi Torino

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
What a fun thing to do!

Pretty soon one of them is going to be a big mud-covered brown, and the other one will still be pristine!

They're lovely.
Old 05-19-08, 06:23 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The Dormouse is showing a bit too much seatpost. I'm afraid I'm going to have to send it home for a change of clothes.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 05-19-08, 06:44 PM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Your right, that's an awful lot of seatpost.

This leader frame is near the extreme limit of compact geometry. Given the small size of the frame necessary to accomodate the reach of the yet to come dropbars it is low...low...low. (and the seatpost is long...long...long) This and the "Mad Hatter" Haro framed forerunner are almost Dirt Jump frames converted for trail riding. In its defense however is the largest amount of standover clearance that this short legged rider has ever had. That can be a great advantage for an older rider who does not bend, twist and bounce (off the top tube) as well as he might have decades ago.

In flatbar trim, the bike is very compact and nimble. (also very upright and comfortable) I think that increasing the head tube angle to something more like a road bike has quickened up the steering a lot. This might not be fun in heavy MTB country but that wasn't a major requirement for this design. The ability to negotiate a less than pristine unpaved railtrail and still handle asphault was. Next I'm going to swap back to the Kenda Kosmic Lights (similar to the tires shown in BD's thread for his version) and begin testing the upper speed range on asphault downhills. I expect it to be....shall we say.....lively at speed.

Unfortunately, I'm having so much fun with the flatbar version that I am almost tempted to abort the dropbar plans.