Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My big pink bike project - almost done

Some of you may recall that a couple of weeks ago I posted pics of a great vintage Univega I acquired via Craigslist.

After some work, here it is, all dressed up. I consulted with my wife on what color of tape/cable ought to go with the pink bike, and she was less than helpful ("Why don't you just use lavender, like all the other six year old girls?"). So I chose blue; not easy to find (thank you, Harris Cyclery for the cable housing).

I love these vintage 80's Japanese bikes...lugged steel, great, comfortable geometry; very nice bikes...

Changes so far:
    - Cleaned some goop off the saddle, removed reflectors. Removed foam handlebar covers and double brake levers.
    - Added NOS, non-aero Dia Compe brake levers I found on eBay.
    - New brake cables, handlebar wrap and cable housing
    - New tires (Continental Gatorskin) and tubes
    - New double-sided Shimano pedals (clipless on one side, platform on the other)
    - Threw on a Carradice bag I found at a swap meet
    - Put on a nice Technomic stem from another bike
    - New Topeak pump
    - Still to do: front hub needs an overhaul; I'd like to get the dork disk off but I can't get the freewheel off (even though I have the right freewheel remover; it's frozen).

And now -- having spent far more on these accessories than I spent on the bike -- I pause to consider which fenders to add.

This was "before":
    Last edited by BengeBoy; 05-18-08 at 11:41 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lookin' good BB.

I like your wife's remark, by the way. Maybe your LBS can get the freewheel off, it's got to break free with enough leverage.

Are you using friction shifting?

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    Maybe your LBS can get the freewheel off, it's got to break free with enough leverage...Are you using friction shifting?
    Funny thing is, I went to one bike shop (great store, but hit or miss service) and they acted like freewheels were from the Middle Ages. No way they were going to try to get it off. I asked about new cones and they said they would be impossible to find and wouldn't even think of where to look. That's OK, I have other places to go...but I imagine if some non-enthusiast went in they would have tried to sell him a new bike.

I have been talking to my *favorite* LBS, and he immediately offered to pull the freewheel for me. And he probably has some cones somewhere in the shop that he'll look for when I stop in.

And, of course, I got the straight dope on which cones to get here in the C&V forum...

And yes, friction shifting...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah...love that friction shifting.

Yup, lots of bike shops around these days who scoff at anything that isn't CF-STI-boutique wheels, etc.
    Good that you DO have a REAL shop handy.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice work. The bike cleaned up nicely. But I can't quite get past the pinkness of it.

There's a big difference between a bike store and a bike shop.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks great. If it weren't for the shop, I'ld suggest putting your Freewheel
    tool in a big old vise with the business end facing up. Set your wheel onto
    the freewheel tool and gripping the tire like a big old steering wheel make
    like a left turn. This method has not failed me yet.

The blue actually looks good. I was having a hard time visualizing it
    but when I scrolled down to the pic I found it quite pleasing to the eye.

Happy Trails

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    looks like the perfect frame for a fixie conversion

train safe--

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Deda has some real nice pink bar tape. Jagwire has some real nice pink cable sets and King has a pink headset, I think you can get it in 1inch threaded. Why not go all the way!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oilman_15106 View Post
    Deda has some real nice pink bar tape. Jagwire has some real nice pink cable sets and King has a pink headset, I think you can get it in 1inch threaded. Why not go all the way!
    Now you're talkin'. Actualy, the only "pink" thing I am considering adding is a water bottle cage I saw at the LBS the other day.

I am thinking about wood fenders, though.

My Bikes
    07 Rivendell Atlantis, 80's Mondonico, 91 Cinelli ATB, 83 Schwinn Peleton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 97 Klein Stage Comp, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM, 84 Bridgestone 200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BENGEBOY! You have one of my dream bikes! I want a Univega Mixte in that same dusty rose color. I think it's a beautiful bike.....