Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Seattle, Washington, USA
Bikes: 2014 Pivot Mach 5.7 MTB, 2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My big pink bike project - almost done
Some of you may recall that a couple of weeks ago I posted pics of a great vintage Univega I acquired via Craigslist.
After some work, here it is, all dressed up. I consulted with my wife on what color of tape/cable ought to go with the pink bike, and she was less than helpful ("Why don't you just use lavender, like all the other six year old girls?"). So I chose blue; not easy to find (thank you, Harris Cyclery for the cable housing).
I love these vintage 80's Japanese bikes...lugged steel, great, comfortable geometry; very nice bikes...
Changes so far:
- Cleaned some goop off the saddle, removed reflectors. Removed foam handlebar covers and double brake levers.
- Added NOS, non-aero Dia Compe brake levers I found on eBay.
- New brake cables, handlebar wrap and cable housing
- New tires (Continental Gatorskin) and tubes
- New double-sided Shimano pedals (clipless on one side, platform on the other)
- Threw on a Carradice bag I found at a swap meet
- Put on a nice Technomic stem from another bike
- New Topeak pump
- Still to do: front hub needs an overhaul; I'd like to get the dork disk off but I can't get the freewheel off (even though I have the right freewheel remover; it's frozen).
And now -- having spent far more on these accessories than I spent on the bike -- I pause to consider which fenders to add.
This was "before":
Last edited by BengeBoy; 05-18-08 at 11:41 PM.