User Tag List

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Birthday rides Taureans rule!

Velodiva and I are both Taureans. Her birthday is May 7th and mine is May 16th. Every year I enjoy the time when we are both the same age. This year it was 58 years old. We celebrated our birthdays with some friends in SoCal and rode a couple hundred miles with them on tandems. On her birthday, she wanted to ride for frozen yogurt to the Golden Spoon near UC Irvine.

No problem....

My birthday was complete...besides being a fantastic racer / competitor she makes a great podium girl.

Saturday, we rode time trial bikes and Velodiva decided to test herself at full power. We were going pretty fast (team time trial position both on aerobars) when some other riders tried to draft. Velodiva was in the lead and she blew them off the back.

Sunday, we rode 70 miles to Pescadero.

We did this ride with our coaches. Our instructions at the beginning of the ride were to attack all the hills at full power. Mission accomplished. It was a great ride and I set a new personal best by 1 minute up the Old La Honda benchmark hill climb. The big difference for me this year over last year is that last year I was much slower up hill and I was toast at the top. Yesterday, my time is getting competitive, I recover fast and could do it again over and over on the other climbs. The coaches do a great job of organizing the ride and setting objectives for different abilities. They have a team car / sag wagon and put people in the car if the climbs are too difficult or they are too slow. Several people were taken up to the top of Skyline. We rode 70 miles with 7700 feet of climbing along with a few others. Many rode fewer miles with less climbing and they sent two stronger guys out farther for more climbing on steeper terrain. At the start of the ride, I put an extra wheelset in the sag wagon. Velodiva got a rear flat and we had the wheel changed in around 30 seconds. Dymitri fixed the flat in Pescadero and she had her old wheel back on for the remainder of the day.

Pescadero Velodiva and I getting more water from the team car

Coach Dymitri giving instructions while I woof down yummy pita bread.

We stopped about 10 minutes in Pescadero before heading north into the wind and the two smaller climbs on Stage Road. I felt great on the last climb over Skyline but back at the car I was finished.

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Kids..............geeeesh.

And by the way.........with just a couple of extra weeks you could have had the honor of being a Gemini....

A very happy birthday to both of you!
    Last edited by maddmaxx; 05-19-08 at 12:06 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Living the good life! Belated Happy Birthday(s)!
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Late birthday greetings to both of you.

My Bikes
    06 Co-Motion Tandem, Fuji Team Pro mine,-Hers, Specialized Dolce
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats you two! What a great way to celebrate your birthday. Here's to many, many more.
    Two blondes walked into a building-You think one of them would have seen it.
    2006 Co-Motion Roadster 2006 Fuji Team Pro, 2005 Specialized Dolce Comp, 2008 Orbea Diva (Red Riders Baby-"The Avocado")
    Custom Simonetti (thanks Steve)

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Happy Birthday to both of you! Tandem birthdays, how about that. :-)
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    2008 Specialized Roubaix Elite Compact, 2004 Giant Cypress, 1981 Specialized Sequoia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Happy BD to both . . . Obviously cycling has been very, very good to both of you!

Keep on crankin' . . .
    2008 Specialized Roubaix Elite Compact
    1982 Specialized Sequoia

My Bikes
    '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What a way to live it up! Thanks for sharing!

And may you both have many years of celebration to come.
    When my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, *****, she's awake!"

Visit my blog.