User Tag List

My Bikes
    Felt Z35
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sore Knee and don't why

Rode to work today good ride no pain. Worked all day I'm on my feet a lot no pain. Got on my bike to come home easy gear as I push off there it is sore knee. Got ice on it now can't take ibuprofen anymore had a reaction to not long ago Dr. no more. Have you ever felt like this. If I knew what caused it it wouldn't be so bad I guess I'm am just old

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I frequently get stiff or tender knees if I ride, stand all day, and then ride again in the same day. Rest, ice and anti-inflammatory medications work for me, and by the next day, I'm usually ready to roll again.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

My Bikes
    Felt Z35
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only thing I have done different is I have been climbing in a harder gear. Standing on hills instead of gearing down and spinning. Could that have caused it? I have a 50mile ride June 14th I need to be riding not resting.
    Last edited by tntom; 05-19-08 at 05:16 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tntom View Post
    The only thing I have done differant is I have been climbing in a harder gear. Standing on hills instead of gearing down and spinning.
    I think you just diagnosed what happened.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

My Bikes
    Felt Z35
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BSLeVan View Post
    I'm going back to spinning. And you can't edit a post title

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BSLeVan View Post
    Yep, that's the recipe all right.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only thing I have done different is I have been climbing in a harder gear. Standing on hills instead of gearing down and spinning.

Precisely why there are easier gears on the bike!! It's okay to do that but you have to work up to it.....probably a little too much too soon. Could also be something related to the saddle placement but go back to the easier gears and get the knee 100% before tinkering with anything else.

My Bikes
    Felt Z35
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe View Post
    Precisely why there are easier gears on the bike!! It's okay to do that but you have to work up to it.....probably a little too much too soon. Could also be something related to the saddle placement but go back to the easier gears and get the knee 100% before tinkering with anything else.
    You got it!

should know better
    My Bikes
    '95 Klein Quantum, all DA'd out; 80's Japanese Summit Comp Pro TR--the dark and wet bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might also want to try Hammer Nutrition's Tissue Rejuvenator, which is glucosamine, chondroitin, MSM as well as a few other ingredients not found in most GCMSM preparations. My left elbow was giving me periodic problems which necessitated wearing an elastic brace several days a week. Started taking a glucosamine/MSM combo from Costco that helped somewhat, but I was still having to use the brace every 10 days or so. After a few weeks of that I got the Tissue Rejuvenator and after taking it for a week quit wearing the brace altogether--haven't needed it for 5 weeks now. Sorry if I sound like a shill but I'm quite pleasantly surprised at the difference this stuff has made.

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently recovered from patellar synovial plica inflammation, which made cycling painful, but which did not preclude walking or even jogging. I do concur that using the lower gears and spinning is much easier on the knees than mashing the pedals while seated, but I do not find standing on the cranks in a reasonable gear to be particularly hard on the knees.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    My Bikes
    GTO
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Long deKlein View Post
    You might also want to try Hammer Nutrition's Tissue Rejuvenator, which is glucosamine, chondroitin, MSM as well as a few other ingredients not found in most GCMSM preparations. My left elbow was giving me periodic problems which necessitated wearing an elastic brace several days a week. Started taking a glucosamine/MSM combo from Costco that helped somewhat, but I was still having to use the brace every 10 days or so. After a few weeks of that I got the Tissue Rejuvenator and after taking it for a week quit wearing the brace altogether--haven't needed it for 5 weeks now. Sorry if I sound like a shill but I'm quite pleasantly surprised at the difference this stuff has made.
    Did it help your Knees?
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only thing I have done different is I have been climbing in a harder gear. Standing on hills instead of gearing down and spinning. Could that have caused it? I have a 50mile ride June 14th I need to be riding not resting.
    Tom, if you ride up hills in the lower gears (or lowest, whatever is comfortable), consistently and often enough before your 50-mile ride, you'll strengthen your legs in a much better fashion than pushing in a higher gear which, as you can see, will lead to injury and time OFF the bike to let it heal.

Just get out and ride as often as possible and take it easy on the hills in a lower gear. Mile by mile, you will build the muscle that you'll need to carry you through that 50-mile ride.

I know, 'cuz I've done it this way!
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All things in moderation. Part of building up to faster riding is pushing a little harder in gears a little higher. But as you have experienced, if you push too hard too fast, you can do some damage and have to recover and heal.
    Spin and get better, then gradually ease into increasing your level of effort and building strength.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The elastic brace is what helped me several years ago after suffering for several years prior. I did not need to take any wonder drugs, just used the brace early in the season when getting the legs strong. I was able to do longer and longer rides running progressively faster without pain. deKlein may even just have seen the reward of better knee strength and not really have needed the medication - not enough data in the post. But if it seems to solve knee pain - don't mess with it, do what ever works for you. You should be able to jam up a hill just as long as it is not too long.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My Bikes
    Felt Z35
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks!I will try the HAMMER. Been on Celebrex for 5 days. Knee is much better going riding in the morning. Nothing big just a flat 20 miles. I have a brand new R700 crank on the Felt and I have put about 5 miles on it. If I was down to long I would be so big the bike would break. Stress makes me eat or ride. Guess what I have been doing this week. I don't know about the rest of you but the bike helps me get my head stright. With 6 churches to look after I need to get away from things somewtimes. It's not that I don't love what I do. I love my job just need to clear my mind once in a while. Have to say this site helps too. Thanks!
    Last edited by tntom; 05-23-08 at 08:12 PM.