User Tag List

My Bikes
    Co-Motion Speedster, Giant FCR2, Surly LHT, Surly Crosscheck
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Primal Blueprint Article

This is cross-posted on the Tandem board cuz I mostly ride tandem with Malkin...

I took the morning off my regular routine to read the Rivendell Reader no.40. Grant, with some apologies and warnings, prints Mark Sisson's article about the dangers of endurance training. I summarize his main points:
    1) Our reproductive imperatives (i.e. evolution) designed us to be great slow-movers (foraging for food and stalking prey), with the ability for occasional bursts of strength/speed (run away! run away!).
    2) We have two energy systems. The fat-based one allows for long duration at low intensity; the ATP-based one gives us about 20 seconds of burst to get away from the tiger.
    3) We can develop the ability for high revs for long periods of time (i.e. endurance training) because we are highly adaptable, but it runs counter to our genetic blueprint and is achieved at high cost.
    4) There is medical evidence that suggests that the physiological effects of endurance training may shorten life (i.e. kill you sooner).
    5) Direct quote: Readjust your training to fit your DNA blueprint. If you're training hard and long for grueling enduance competitions, back off. On the bike, sprint more and rest more. Break it up and have fun. Lift weights, do yoga and there's a good chance you'll be healthier and look better.

I think this means longer duration rides at lower intensity with sprints (running away from the tiger) to maximize health and enjoyment. Based on the article (and other contemplations/conversations with stoker Malkin), I'm going to see what happens if we reduce our cadence and ave speed slightly, decrease our distance, and increase our time.

Thoughts?

p.s. you can see a version (not exactly what's printed in the RR) of the article here: Primal Blueprint.

Cheers!
    2008 Red Co-Motion Speedster Co-pilot (Redster)
    2009 Surly LHT (captain's commuter)
    2009 Surly Crosscheck (stoker's road bike)
    2007 Giant FCR2W (stoker's commuter)
    1980's NOS Legnano (stoker's toy)
    1970's Stella rebuilt as fixed-gear (captain's toy)

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I've done lots of slow, steady miles over the past 30 years, and it hasn't killed me yet. So I'm inclined to agree with the article's general principals: However, my bottom line is: Get on your bike and do whatcha want.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Low intensity is not a problem for me.
    Most economic fallacies derive from the tendency to assume that there is a fixed pie, that one party can gain only at the expense of another.....Milton Friedman

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am the ghost author of that article.
    Almost gone from the 50+ forum. - Email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for another fun new group of 50+ folks