Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anybody here gone through a professional bike fit?

If anyone here has gone through a professional bike fitment, could you please point me in a good direction? Or is it a waste of time?

Tony

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did a 50+ forum search on

professional bike fit

bike fit--art vs. science (long)

You might want to search the entire BFN Forum
    Gone - email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for new group of old 50+ folks

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got 3 of them and the best one I got was from a Specialized dealer. One of the other ones I got I could hardly walk and the other one wasn't much better. I was told, all the Specialized dealerships make there fitters go to Andy Pruitt's fitting school. Good luck.
    George

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're referring to those $200'ish fittings? I've read a few posts here from people who got them. I believe Solveg got one.

I've spoken to a couple of people who paid for them from Serotta dealers and spoke well of them.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never had one, but (like George says ^) I've heard it's a crap shoot. Good luck.

My Bikes
    Cannondale T800, Marin Hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did one at an LBS last year in Holland MI. I thought it went well and helped a bit. Took about an hour. I would tend to agree with George, but in my case, can tell you it did some good.

Violin guitar mandolin
    My Bikes
    Wilier Thor, Fuji Professional, LeMond Wayzata
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a "fit kit" once. Carefully and precisely told me that I was still supposed to be riding a bike set up like my 1974 custom designed and fit by eye. And when I adjust by feel (which I just did) I end up within 2 mm of that fit. So there you go. I would think that for problems or for those with less developed feel they might be excellent. I learned how to ride so long ago that I have no understanding of what not having a well developed bike feel would be like.

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My LBS doesn't do professional fittings but they've always been very helpful when I approach them with a problem. They were the ones who suggested shorter stems, saddle posts with different angles and different length cranks when I was having fit problems on the bikes. My Madone fits like a glove and I'm sure they'll make the new one feel the same

I thought about having a professional fit. A nearby shop offers them for $200. I sent them an email inquiring about it and it took them a week before they answered. By that time I had changed my mind.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Rivendell Bleriot and a Panasonic 1986 7500 MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think a pro fit is good IF your body falls outside of 'normal' proportions. Get the frame size right and the rest is pretty easy. I bought a frameset, Riv Bleriot, and had it built at a LBS. I took allen wrenches with me for a while and fine tuned things roadside. The fitting info on the Riv site is pretty darn good. *I* think
    the info there is perfect for older riders.

BTW, the Bleriot is the most comfortable bike I have ever owned. There are other similar frames. Kogswell and Rawland are worth looking at IMHO. The Kogswell is available with a choice of 3 fork rakes, 26", 650B or 700C tire sizes and priced 'right'. $550 with a headset, seatpost and fenders painted to match the frame.

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an unequally proportioned body (my store-bought clothes are 29" inseam and I am 5'11")

According to the "fit" programs available on the web, I should be riding about a 52cm bike. WOW! - that would never work for me, as the top tube would be WAY too short.

Fortunately, when I bought my Lemond almost 10 years ago, I chose a shop with a very wise owner who disregarded even what his own computer program told him, and put me on a larger bike.

True, my SO height is only about 1/2 inch, but, since this is a road bike, who cares? I've NEVER had a problem from that.

30,000+ miles later, the ONLY changes I have made in the fit is to raise the bars a bit as I got older, and I raised the seat about 1 cm. And, it fits perfectly - for me.
    Gone - email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for new group of old 50+ folks

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say, unless your hurting, don't spend the money and play with it yourself.
    George

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not a big fan of professional fittings for the average person who rides a road bike. I just don't think there's much to gain from it over the standard rules of thumb. It just reinforces the false notion that there's some kind of scientifically perfect position for you on a bike. But on the other hand, it can certainly be interesting to see how it compares to how you already ride your bike. When you get home, you can mark up and measure so you can reproduce it any time in the future. So, it might be worth it in that sense.

My Bikes
    07 Rivendell Atlantis, 80's Mondonico, 91 Cinelli ATB, 83 Schwinn Peleton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 97 Klein Stage Comp, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM, 84 Bridgestone 200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    You're referring to those $200'ish fittings? I've read a few posts here from people who got them. I believe Solveg got one.

I've spoken to a couple of people who paid for them from Serotta dealers and spoke well of them.
    Yes, I did, but he gave me a deal on it so I ended up paying 60 or 70 bucks....or something like that. That's because I don't use clipless pedals, and because I was worried about getting a particular bike to fit. I had my bike set up almost perfectly, so all he did was bring the saddle down very slightly. So it wasn't a full fledged fit. I got all my FIT measurements, though, and that was a really good thing to get.

I walked in and he said the bike was way too big for me, but when I got on it, he thought it looked perfect. He was pretty surprised. I have very short legs, and being a girl I can handle a really high top tube. The lesson I learned was that I think frame size is less important than how it's set up.

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bike a lot of miles. My bike needed reconditioning for a 3,000 mile tour. The LBS noted wear marks at the crank from my bike shoes. I also have a ache in the knee on that leg.
    It took one hour to adjust two pair of shoes using a mechanism with two pointers. The Ache in that knee is gone and I had no issues on the 3,000 tour.
    My opinion is that a wrong adjustment such I describe may cause damage to a joint. I did not know how to optimize the cleats under the shoes without some advise.
    We also adjusted the saddle horizontally a bit using the standard method with a plumb line.
    I noticed that the professional racers have their bike professionally adjusted and pay attention to every nuance of the bike. I guess that is part of their success along with training, determination and nutrition.
    Last edited by will dehne; 05-23-08 at 08:09 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beverly View Post
    I thought about having a professional fit. A nearby shop offers them for $200. I sent them an email inquiring about it and it took them a week before they answered. By that time I had changed my mind.
    From what I've read they should call these an "Amateur Fit" - I wouldn't pay a "bike shop" premium for a bike from a shop that didn't have someone who could work on fitting me without insisting on selling me that particular snake oil.
    YMMV .

My Bikes
    Bianchi San Remo - set up as a utility bike, Peter Mooney Road bike, Peter Mooney commute bike,Dahon Folder,Schwinn Paramount Tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a fit as a part of having a custom frame built for me. The fit came 'for free' along with the frame. The frame builder made some adjustments to my regular day-to-day bike (I commute on a bike), which helped it a bit, but that custom frame is just the most comfortable ride I have ever been on. To see details of the bike - go to http://www.sourwalled.com/html/mooney.html

My Bikes
    Parlee Z-4 2001 Fisher Sugar 1 Macalu Ti
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I spent 45 minutes getting a fit prior to ordering my new bike a few weeks ago. The shop had me bring in my then current ride and put me on a trainer. While I pedaled, some in the drops, some on the top of the bar, some sitting up, he took various measurements. He would then have me stop the pedals with my legs aligned with the seat tube and measure my knee angle etc. The guy put a small adjustment on the seat and voila! - though i had not noticed any instability before I was now much MORE stable in the saddle. It was much easier to ride without hands. When the new frame came in (a stock 57 cm, I don't require a custom frame) they spent 15 minutes checking my position and I was done.
    The new ride is a dream. Is it because of the fit or the expense of the Gruppo and frame? Some of both. If you're riding often (4-5 times//week) I would say its definitely worth it.
    And you know that notion just crossed my mind.

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know if a shop could properly fit someone not wearing clipless, shoes and pedals, because every time you put you foot down it could be in a different place.
    George

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had two. The first was a combination of measuring and observing and it was okay. The second was a very thorough fitting using lots of measurments and riding a trainer for a good while. It cost $70 and was worth every penny and more. However, I disagreed with the size bike they recommended and went with a different size. Three years later I'm now riding the size bike they recommended.

I think you can get away with being off on fit a litte if you're not doing longer rides. However if you plan to be in the saddle for more than several hours you'll quickly find out what measurements are pretty far off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a professional medical bike fit with Andy Pruitt at the Boulder Center for Sports Medicine. Not only was I fitted but I had a 3D video fit analysis. I did this after I was 'expert fitted" at the LBS and developed ankle pain, knee pain and saddle sores. I call my bike an 'Orthotic' bike now. I have shims and angled shims under my cleats to compensate for different length legs, pedal extenders (http://www.kneesaver.net/) to compensate for my wide angle hips, and a pad on one side of my saddle to compensate for uneven seat bones. This old body has had alot of injuries and they manifested themselves in different ways last fall when I began road riding and put on 1000 miles between August and November. I have put on over 1000 miles since March this year and no pain or sores. So, going to the right expert can have great results.
    Michael

Enjoying-the-ride
    My Bikes
    Gary Fisher Cake 1, Cannondale CAAD5 Roadbike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I rode my MTB (Specialized Carbon Epic) for about six months before the professional fit. The dealer "set it up" for me but said a good fit would help. After my rides got longer (over 50 miles) I decided to have the fit. I went back to the same shop for an appointment. The only thing replaced was the stem - shorter one that was also turned over. The seat was moved back a small amount - I'd guess about 1/4 inch. The results were not earthshaking, but noticeable in comfort on long rides.

When I bought my roadbike (Trek Madone 6.5) it came with a custom fitting. I made one adjustment (moved the seat up very little) after the fit on my own that the fitter told me I may want to try. I like the seat in the higher position. I don't have a before/after comparison with this bike, but find it comfortable for 6 hour rides.

Both fittings took about an hour. One involved a computer program and monitor. The other was by measuring and observation. Both fitters seemed capable. For me, the fit has been worth the time and $.
    Last edited by garyj; 05-23-08 at 04:32 PM.

road curmudgeon, FG rider GeraldChan's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1973 Nishiki Professional, 1990 Serotta Colorado II, 2002 Waterford Track
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been riding road bikes since the I was a teenager in the very early 70's.
    Just like many on this forum I did my own fittings paying careful attention to my body and how it felt after each small change.
    I read all the books on bike fit and was happy with my position on my bikes.
    However i was curious about the idea of a professional fit. Since I was planning on buying a new CF bike anyway I thought I should get an expert fitting before buying my new Madone.
    My pro LBS sells Serottas so I paid the $200 and spent over 2 hours being measured and stretched and remeasured and then fitted in the Serotta system. I pedalled on a special trainer using my own shoes and pedals. He even repositioned my cleats on my shoes.
    The resulting set up was close to my old position but better and more comfortable. Curiously, the fitter raised my bars as I have lost some hamstring and lower back flexibility since buying my Serotta 17 years ago. I brought my Waterford also for the fitting; so I got 2 bikes fitted.

I liked the changes so much now all 4 of my bikes sport this new position.

In my opinion, a good fit counts for more than most equipment "upgrades".

Gerry
    1973 Nishiki Professional, steel, green/black, Campy NR FG conversion, Brooks Pro
    1991 Serotta Colorado II, steel, pearl white, full DA 8 spd STI, SI Flite
    2002 Waterford 1700 Track, steel, jet black, DA, Ultegra and Phil, SI Flite
    2006 Trek Madone 5.2, carbon fiber, blue, Ultegra and Bontrager, Fizik Arione

My Bikes
    Road, Touring, Mountain Bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been in Physical Therapy for my knees at a place that is primarily bike oriented & after several PT sessions, they set me up with their pro bike fitter/therapist while my personal therapist (a pro rider) watched. He put me through quite a bit, even installing a weird adjustable stem on my bike. Ended up very close to what I had but a shorter, steeper stem that is a bit easier on the ancient back and a couple of saddle adjustments. No more than 5mm forward & up. Not much difference but really just some nice fine-tuning.

Cool thing is that my Medicare insurance is footing all the PT bill.

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have arrived at my current fit through extensive reading and experimentation, and I think by now I have developed a pretty reliable sense of what works best for me. I am a bit suspicious of a "one formula fits all" appraoch to fitting. A professional fitting can get you a good starting point, but you still may need to make a few small adjustments to get things just right, so why not save your money?
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony (Michigan) View Post
    If anyone here has gone through a professional bike fitment, could you please point me in a good direction? Or is it a waste of time?

Tony
    Hi, Tony, I had a fitting done at Cadence Cycle in Saline, MI, and I think it was very positive. I have some knowledge of fitting, having read al the books and magazine articles, experimentted on myself and on Mrs. Road Fan, and those experiments resulted in improvements and some degree of problem-solving. But the fitter at Cadence made it a lot better, not by any radical changes, but by going through a methodical process he has practiced, and using judgement he has honed. The one technique he had that I don't have was to set my saddle height based on knee bend angle, rather than heel position, inseam multiplied by a fudge factor, or purely by eye. It was worth it, and he guarentees his work. If something doesn't work, bring the bike he fit back and he'll sort out what's wrong.

Other SE Michigan shops I would try: Kinetic Systems in Clarkston, and Continental Cycles on John R in (I think) Berkeley. Ride Boutique in Brighton has a very extensive and expensive process, that looks like it should work well. I wouldn't say any of these are necessarily racer-oriented. I made it clear to Cadence that I was not intending to race anytime soon, but needed to ride local distance and fitness/training rides comfortably and efficiently without hurting my 50 year old joints. BTW, racers need these benefits, too.

I'm sure there are other good places to try, as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast