User Tag List

My Bikes
    Dawes Road Racer, Raleigh Mountain, Fuji Road Bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to Use Pedal?

I have ridden bicycles most of my life. Mostly what us old folks called 10 speeds and mountain bikes all with the old fashioned strapless/clipless pedals. I just bought a new bike that has strap type pedals. How do you get your feet into them when you get on the bike? They are top heavy and swing down before I get a chance to put my foot into it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could try flipping them to a position where you can get you foot in with your toe. Or remove the toe clips and just use them as platforms.
    Or you could do what I would do, take them off and throw them away. Get you self some clipless pedals, and shoes, and put them on. But that's just me.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You flip them with your toe so the strap is on top, and insert your foot.

This will become automatic after a bit, and you won't even think about it.

But, truly, "clipless" - that means with a clip on the bottom of your shoe, believe it or not, IS best.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And, welcome, by the way.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

My Bikes
    1984 Trek 520; 1990s Peugeot (Canadian-made) rigid mountain bike; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Place the ball or toe of your foot on the edge of the pedal, push down and back to flip the pedal up, and shoot your foot forward. If needed, reach down and yank the strap tight. It soon becomes pretty automatic, as pointed out. To exit, pull your foot straight back. Avoid shoes with prominent tread.

But do you want to use them? You could just take the straps and toe clips off.
    Last edited by cooker; 05-23-08 at 10:24 AM.

Erect member since 1953 cccorlew's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Fantom Outlaw turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'll need to buy old style Italian shoes and nail (yes, I said nail) metal cleats to the bottoms.
    Then, after you deftly flip the pedal with your foot and get your toes in you'll feel the cleat groves marry your pedal. Don't forget to reach down and give the straps an extra tug.

Enjoy!
    WANTED: Not a darn thing. I've got it all. Life is good.
    Website at curtis.corlew.com Bicycle blog at ccorlew.blogspot.com

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cccorlew View Post
    You'll need to buy old style Italian shoes and nail (yes, I said nail) metal cleats to the bottoms.
    Then, after you deftly flip the pedal with your foot and get your toes in you'll feel the cleat groves marry your pedal. Don't forget to reach down and give the straps an extra tug.

Enjoy!
    And don't forget to make sure your insurance is paid up.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Erect member since 1953 cccorlew's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Fantom Outlaw turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    And don't forget to make sure your insurance is paid up.

I rode like this for many years (Heck, everyone used to ride with this set up.) and I only screwed up once.
    Even then I blame the amazing beauty that I was riding with. She distracted me and I... well... did a no-speed fall.

As she gave me a look and rode off she asked "Ride much?"

But that was 30 years ago.
    WANTED: Not a darn thing. I've got it all. Life is good.
    Website at curtis.corlew.com Bicycle blog at ccorlew.blogspot.com

My Bikes
    2002 Lemond Zurich, 2006 Santa Cruz Superlight, 2010 Landshark, 2012 Santa Cruz Juliana, 2014 Juliana Premiero Origin 29er and last but not least, the "Frankenweenie"!
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's the key - I tell people just getting use to any type of pedal... Don't panic about getting right into the pedal. Falls usually occur when the bike is moving too slowly. One foot will always be attached and already clipped in. Use that foot as your push off foot. At a light or a stop, position that foot at say 2 o'clock and then to start off push down, move forward. Doesn't matter if the other foot gets clipped in right away, just start pedaling forward (foot on the other side of the pedal is fine) and then when you have some speed (at least 10 mph) use your foot to flip the pedal over and slid in.

BTW - cages I believe are dangerous. Think about getting a pedal/cleat system. Much easier. You just start to pedal and then click in.

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.

Muscle bike design spec robtown's Avatar
    My Bikes
    98 Giant CFR-TEAM, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 HyperLite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cccorlew View Post
    Enjoy!
    I have old style clips on my Schwinn. One time the chain came off on a downshift. That caused me to loose my balance so I couldn't lean over to release the strap. Yep - I slowed down to 1mph and fell over on my side. The most embarrassing part was the fall was immediately past a lady SUV driver waiting at the cross street. She got out to see if I was ok.

To answer the OP - it's easier to go clipless or take off the straps.
    Korval is Ships
    See my Hyperlite 411 it's the photo model on OutRiderUSA web page

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BCIpam View Post
    ... BTW - cages I believe are dangerous. Think about getting a pedal/cleat system. Much easier. You just start to pedal and then click in.
    Many contributors to this thread assume that one must cinch the straps so tightly that they must be released before one can disengage one's foot from the clip. Many (most) of us nonracers keep the straps just barely loose enough to permit us to yank a foot straight backward and possibly a bit upward to disengage. This is actually quite safe, and the straight-back impulse is far more natural than twist-to-disengage.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bbbycrr View Post
    I just bought a new bike that has strap type pedals.
    Does your new bike have toe clips (with straps) or PowerGrip straps?

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John E View Post
    Many contributors to this thread assume that one must cinch the straps so tightly that they must be released before one can disengage one's foot from the clip. Many (most) of us nonracers keep the straps just barely loose enough to permit us to yank a foot straight backward and possibly a bit upward to disengage. This is actually quite safe, and the straight-back impulse is far more natural than twist-to-disengage.
    Not sure what anyone is assuming, but yes, pedals with loose straps are a safe and practical way to help keep your foot in the right place and get some of the ability to pull the pedal through the rearward and upward parts of the pedal rotation. A bonus is that you can wear normal shoes.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.