My Bikes
    '07 Trek Pilot 5.0, ~'92 Trek Navigator 400
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Introduction and a Question

Greetings,

Iíve been lurking and posting a comment or question here and there but havenít actually done an intro, though I did one in the main Introductions sub-forum. The introduction is by way of setting a context for the question that I have which may be better suited for the training forum but people here seem lessÖ intense, and since Iím fully qualified to be here your thoughts are possibly more pertinent.

Iím currently 54 years old. Iíve never been particularly athletic so it was easy to settle into a sedentary lifestyle. A couple of years ago I decided that I needed to start getting into better shape or I wouldnít make it to 100. At that point I was weighing in at between 235 and 240.

Iíve ridden bikesÖ forever, and honestly donít think there has been a time since I was a little kid that I didnít have one in the garage/shed. However, it had been a long long time since I rode any distance. But to the garage I went and pumped up the tires on my trusty Trek Navigator 400 which I had stored there since some time in the mid Ď90s and off I went.

One lap of the neighborhood left me gasping and my butt screaming for sofa, but it was a start. Two years later Iím in much better shape, but still have a way to go in my estimation. Iím down to 190 and was getting to the point that I recognized that I enjoyed riding the bike for more than just the exercise component so I began shopping around.

I settled on a Trek Pilot 5.0 because I liked its more relaxed geometry (Iíve had neck problems forever and twisting it back too far hurts) and the price on a left over í07 sealed the deal. When I bought the bike I assured the sales guy that it was my intent to ride in ďcivilian clothesĒ and sneakers so he set me up with the cushiest seat his conscience would allow on that bike and toe clip/strap peddles (I immediately took the clips off and trashed them.)

What a difference! I knew this bike would be faster than the Navigator and hoped it would be more fun, but I would have bought it long ago if I had realized how much I would enjoy it. In about two months time Iíve made the transition, Lycra padded pants, sprang for a Brooks B-17 saddle and now Sidiís and Speedplay peddlesÖ Itís a sickness! (Fredness? )

Okay now the question that will be way shorter that the ramble above. I went off this morning planning to spend at least two hours riding. Iím in Florida and it was a warm day (surprise!) around 90į F and 80% humidity. I started the ride well hydrated, but didnít eat much. At about the half hour mark I stopped to adjust my shoes and drank most of my water with the intent to refill at about the hour mark. However, by the time I was approaching the hour mark I was seriously flagging (Bonking? Iíve heard the term, but not sure what it really is.) So instead of filling my water bottle and heading out after a Gatoraid I gave it up for the day.

My analysis: because this was my first ride with the Speedplays/Sidis I started off way too ďhotĒ rather than warming up properly first. Also, though Iím not a ďbreakfast personĒ Iím thinking I need to get past that and choke down some food, probably carbs (oatmeal?). How long before I start the ride?

Iíve been working hard on cadence and spinning pretty fast which I never really focused on with the Navigator. I recognize that this is tiring me since Iím working the heart harder. But I have done quite a few two hour rides in the past albeit considerably slower than I was going the first hour today. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Oh, and hereís a picture of the bike since no decent introduction is complete without a picture of the bike. Hopefully it will work, my ISP is too cheap to provide web space so trying Photo Bucket.

Jim
    - - - - - - - - - - - -
    '07 Trek Pilot 5.0
    '06 West Marine Port Runner (Foldable)
    '01 Trek Navigator 400
    n + 1 = ???

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think "bonking" refers to totally depleting your glycogen stores without the ability to maintain energy with lipolysis (as a trained athelte would) and so you become so energy deprived that you just can't go on.

I suspect that, in spite of your efforts, you were dehydrated and that's why you ran out of steam. I'm not sure having a hearty breakfast would have helped or made it worse.

Anyway, your bike is beautiful and reminds me a bit of my red and white Lemond Buenos Aires.

And the red peddles were not lost upon me. Fred? Are you sure you're not an OCP?

My Bikes
    Litespeed Tuscany , Lemond Poprad, 1970's Motobecane Grand Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum and thats a nice bike. What is that in the other bottle holder? As for your questions, I can only tell you what works for me. It does sound like maybe you got excited and hit it a little too hard with the new set up. When I ride in the mornings, I always eat something before I leave the house. I have tried different foods but what works best for me is two pieces of whole wheat toast with peanut butter or a bowl of oatmeal. Now that it is getting warm (i'm in Fl too) I like to ride in the evening and I will eat something light like a salad or a peanut butter sandwich before I go. (peanut butter just seems to work for me) I always take a kashi or similar granola bar and about an hour into the ride I will eat that. I also drink about 20 ounces of water for every 20 miles I ride.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OCP? I could very well be an OCP... but would need a definition. I wondered if I was getting enough hydration too, I did take a bit of water about 15 minutes into the ride but not that much. I'm not real comfortable drinking as I ride, that may be a function of the bottle (Polor? insulated bottle that doesn't really do much anyway) Do fairly casual riders like myself actually use Camelback systems and the like?
    Jim
    - - - - - - - - - - - -
    '07 Trek Pilot 5.0
    '01 Trek Navigator 400
    n + 1 = ???

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is that in the other bottle holder?

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...t%3A%20Bottles

As a peanut butter fan I'll try peanut butter on an english muffin! Sound better than chocking down oatmeal (not that there's anything wrong with that!)
    Jim
    - - - - - - - - - - - -
    '07 Trek Pilot 5.0
    '01 Trek Navigator 400
    n + 1 = ???

My Bikes
    Litespeed Tuscany , Lemond Poprad, 1970's Motobecane Grand Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your bike is really top end, everything including the pedals is color coordinated. I'm afraid TWL may be correct about the OCP thing. The only thing that might save you is how you dress when riding the bike. Are your clothes top of the line and all color coordinated or do you wear Performance on sale bike shorts with a Target dri fit shirt?

My Bikes
    2002 Lightspeed Classic; 2010 Pedalforce RS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Weak Link View Post
    Are you sure you're not an OCP?
    Dork disk, reflectors, & a picture from the non-drive side? Probably not OCP, but he should fit in nicely here.

Nice ride.

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome...nice bike!

Just to reinforce what the others have said, I think you need to drink more and eat before you ride.

I never leave home on a long ride w/out two full water bottles (you can get a little seat bag to hold the stuff you currently have in your cage rocket). And, like some of the posters above, I always have breakfast, usually something bland like peanut butter on whole wheat toast, or peanut butter on a banana or bagel.

Today I did 60 miles; stopped at about 35 miles for a cookie, some espresso and some cold iced tea at a country store...perfect!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum. Beautiful bike. And congrats on the progress you've made in the past two years.

Sounds to me like water was your biggest problem. But that said, I've bonked after riding two hours and eating only a banana. If you were riding fast then you're burning more energy, and the faster you go, the higher the percentage of that energy coming from glycogen rather than fat. Add in that you hadn't eaten since the night before, and sure it's possible. If you bonk hard, you will know it -- it is just not possible to get up any speed. I literally had to get off and walk on a grade that couldn't have been more than 2%.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Drink and look at an energy additive to put in the bottle. And if starting from home- couple of cups of coffee before going will help aswell. up to about 2 hours- you should not have to eat but anything that will give energy on a ride is a bonus. Oatmeal or a good fried breakfast helps- or 1 hour into a ride- a stop for pie and coffee helps.

Sounds like you just have to fuel up a bit better to give the bike a decent ride- but that will come with practice.

Edit
    And Camelbacks--- Mainly used by Mountain bikers and Road riders that come from that origin. I use a camelback on the longer rides and find it easier to keep sipping from. Dead easy to just put the spout in the mouth and take a few sips than reaching down for a bottle. And you can then fill the camelback with the energy drink and keep the water in the bottle to wash away the taste of the gel you will also be taking on the long rides.
    Last edited by stapfam; 05-25-08 at 03:01 AM.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RoMad
    The only thing that might save you is how you dress when riding the bike. Are your clothes top of the line and all color coordinated or do you wear Performance on sale bike shorts with a Target dri fit shirt?
    Phew! Saved. Hopefully sale rack at LBS equates to "Performance on sale" and ironically the shirts do come from Target. Wife buys them for me

I will take the advice about the second water bottle. I think I may shop brands a bit too, the one I've got fits quite tight and I find myself struggling to get it out, then later back into the cage. I'm sure that probably doesn't encourage me to drink as often as I could otherwise.

Thank you for all the suggestions!
    Jim
    - - - - - - - - - - - -
    '07 Trek Pilot 5.0
    '01 Trek Navigator 400
    n + 1 = ???

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As others have stated, a little something to eat before heading out for a ride will help. My favorite is oatmeal but peanut butter is good, too.

Nice bike! But then, I'm real fond of Treks, too

=============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. I doubt you've experienced true "bonk" yet. I associate bonk with rides that are longer than 3 hours.

2. I suspect that consciously trying to pick up your cadence may be a factor. I think of that as the difference between walking for 2 hours and jogging or running for 2 hours.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well today Iím happier. I took everyoneís good advice:
    1 Ė Drank a good bit of water and some coffee before the ride. (Actually no more than I had on Saturday.)
    2 Ė Ate an English muffin with a good helping of peanut butter.
    3 Ė Drank half a bottle of Gatorade while pumping up the tires, then filled the bottle with ice and water and into my second cage it went. Is it less OCP if I have plastic drink containers in my cages instead of a color matched professional bottle? What the heck is OCP anyhow!?
    4 Ė Started out intentionally holding back and just a nice steady ~80 RPM
    5 Ė Paid attention to drinking regularly while under way and paused every half hour to drink up the Gatorade bottle. Yes, I had to refill it at the halfway point of the ride, but that wasnít a problem since I was just orbiting the neighborhood. Sadly, there arenít a lot of real scenic rides around this area that are better than the Ďhood.

30 miles in about two hours and at the end I pulled up to the garage feeling like I could have gone quite a bit farther. I know 30 miles is a good warm-up for some here, but that is a pretty good ride for me, and averaging 15 MPH isnít much to write home about either. One lap of the neighborhood, however, involves eight cul-de-sacs 8 yield/stop signs (which I admittedly treat as guidelines more than rules in the absence of traffic, but I approach them prepared to stop if I canít clearly see that there is nobody else around.)

Anyway, thank you , the sage advice worked.
    Jim
    - - - - - - - - - - - -
    '07 Trek Pilot 5.0
    '01 Trek Navigator 400
    n + 1 = ???

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have found I have to pay more attention to what I eat and drink than I used to. Well, not so much what, but how much and when. I have started nibbling on food more while I ride to keep energy up. Maybe it's age.
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PirateJim View Post
    Phew! Saved. Hopefully sale rack at LBS equates to "Performance on sale" and ironically the shirts do come from Target. Wife buys them for me

I will take the advice about the second water bottle. I think I may shop brands a bit too, the one I've got fits quite tight and I find myself struggling to get it out, then later back into the cage. I'm sure that probably doesn't encourage me to drink as often as I could otherwise.

Thank you for all the suggestions!
    It's not the bottle that is too tight- It's the cage. Bend the wire out so that the bottle becomes looser- but not so loose it falls out. Most riders only use the bottle on the downtube- and when it's empty- change it for the full one. Unless you have two different drinks on the ride- and then you have to remember which is the energy drink and which is the water. Just don't pour the energy drink over the head- It attracts flies and wasps.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Trek Madone 5.5, Klein Q Pro Elite, Surley LHT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I teach novice riders to "drink before you are thirsty and eat before you are hungry". With hat said, on any ride you should drink approximately every 10 15 minutes. A good way to remember this is to have a watch with a count down timer set for 10 minutes, when it beeps drink. Drinking before you ride is good, just water should do. I drink Gatorade mixed 50/50 during the ride. Carry Power Bar or Cliff Bar to eat at about the half way point or iif you feel the hunger pangs starting. Keep riding and the rest will come.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey all, just a comment about Gatorade - I've read that it is pretty close to two times as concentrated as it should be and cutting it half water will make a BIG difference in how well hydrated you stay.

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PirateJim View Post
    What the heck is OCP anyhow!?
    See my website below in the signature line for definitions of terms used here.

Sounds like you may have pushed a little hard and dehydrated.
    I rarely find food helpful for rides less than 2 hours. I never get hungry even on a long ride, on centurys I need to eat just as a matter of course - typically 300 cal/hr - but I am burning around 800 cal/hr. I don't think I have ever "bonked" but I have indeed lost a lot of energy and struggled at the end of a long ride. I can't tolerate sweet drinks on hot days but I can tolerate Guu and protein bars. This year I found Nuun which I tolerate quite well and provides the electrolites needed to hydrate properly - pure water will only work for a few hours before you deplete your electrolites. In the AM I start with a good breakfast, oatmeal and dried fruit or eggs & bacon with a bagel. But I know this will run out after two hours.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.