Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Back on the Saddle, Bike question

Now 51. Ridden off and on for years. Looking for new bike. Trek 7200, Giant Cypress, or Specialized Crossroads? Tested all 3. Liked the comfort of Specialized Crossroads the best. Want to ride 3-4 times per week. 5-15 miles each time. All 3 are hybrids. However, after reading too much, I question my selections. Will this bike be too difficult to ride from a comfort standpoint after 45 minutes?

Each model has upgrade with supposedly better components. Are they worth it in longt run. Trek 7200 over 7100, Specialized Elite over Sport, Cypress DX over Cypress.

All suggestions would be helpful. Looking for quality, comfort, less back strain, & fun. I live in SE Florida where there are no hills.
    Last edited by fishnugget; 05-25-08 at 04:17 AM.

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnugget View Post
    Now 51. Ridden off and on for years. Looking for new bike. Trek 7200, Giant Cypress, or Specialized Crossroads? Tested all 3. Liked the comfort of Specialized Crossroads the best. Want to ride 3-4 times per week. 5-15 miles each time. All 3 are hybrids. However, after reading too much, I question my selections. Will this bike be too difficult to ride from a comfort standpoint after 45 minutes?

Each model has upgrade with supposedly better components. Are they worth it in longt run. Trek 7200 over 7100, Specialized Elite over Sport, Cypress DX over Cypress.

All suggestions would be helpful. Looking for quality, comfort, less back strain, & fun. I live in SE Florida where there are no hills.
    What have you been reading?

Folks ride on hybrids all day long, and assuming they are properly adjusted and fit the rider, you should have no problems.

As to components, higher level components are nice to have, but the lower level will work just fine for your amount of riding. It is basically a question of how much money you want to spend.

Please see the "sticky" thread at the beginning of this forum for info for beginning/returning bicyclists.

A Thread for Beginning or Returning Bicyclers - Welcome
    Gone - email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for new group of old 50+ folks

My Bikes
    Specialized Tricross Comp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My beater is an old Crossroads and I ride it for hours. Very comfortable.
    Every man is, or hopes to be, an Idler. -- Samuel Johnson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any thoughts on bikes I am considering?

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnugget View Post
    Any thoughts on bikes I am considering?

They are all going to do a really good job.

Which "turns you on?" Which seems to fit you the best? A bike that "turns you on" is best in the sense that you will ride more if you love the bike.

Basically, bikes from reputable companies that cost about the same will be very similar in components and quality. You really can't go wrong.

Also, the bike shop you deal with is very important. DO yo feel comfortable with the owner/employees? The "after you buy" and follow up service is really a part of the cost of the bike, and IS important.
    Gone - email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for new group of old 50+ folks

My Bikes
    Too many to list, all vintage
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Given the amount you want to ride, I would go with the best (cheapest) deal that fits well.

Figure if you really get into riding, this bike will be the first of many, so it is likely to be sold or relegated to a secondary status. I currently regularly ride three bikes (all on the road), one is a mountain bike, one is a hybrid, and one is a road bike. Variety is the spice of life. Note, the suspension seat on the hybrid went into the dumper on day 1.