Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

To all you military folks, past and present

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-08, 06:19 AM

Bikes: Specialized Expedition Sport, Surly LHT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey, all you vets and active duty folks,

From me and mine, know that all you are doing, and have done is appreciated, and you have our sincerest gratitude and support.

Our favorite sport here on 50+ is just one of the things we tend to take for granted that would not be possible without your sacrifices.
Old 05-25-08, 07:08 AM
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I, and I am sure every other vet here, appreciates the thought, but here's the thing, at least for me.
I feel very uncomfortable with folks thanking me and such - more so on Memorial Day. which is a day for remembering all those who didn't come home, unlike Veteran's day, which is for all vets. That is what makes me uncomfortable, I don't deserve to be thought of in the same company as all those who made the ultimate sacrifice. So thank you, but I hope you'll take a moment to remember and honor those brave folks.

Again, I appreciate it, and those are my own thoughts, not trying to speak for anyone else.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey

Last edited by chipcom; 05-25-08 at 07:12 AM.
Old 05-25-08, 07:48 AM

Bikes: Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chipcom
I, and I am sure every other vet here, appreciates the thought, but here's the thing, at least for me.
I feel very uncomfortable with folks thanking me and such - more so on Memorial Day. which is a day for remembering all those who didn't come home, unlike Veteran's day, which is for all vets. That is what makes me uncomfortable, I don't deserve to be thought of in the same company as all those who made the ultimate sacrifice. So thank you, but I hope you'll take a moment to remember and honor those brave folks.

Again, I appreciate it, and those are my own thoughts, not trying to speak for anyone else.
Chip - thanks for saying that. I wanted to but did not know exactly how to. You conveyed my sentiments precisely.
Old 05-25-08, 07:56 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by RockyMtnMerlin
Chip - thanks for saying that. I wanted to but did not know exactly how to. You conveyed my sentiments precisely.
+1
Old 05-25-08, 08:52 AM

Bikes: 88 Schwin Voyageur, 84 Schwinn World Sport, 85 Univega Alpina Uno, 85 Fuji Espree, 09 Novara Strada, 06 Jamis Durango, 03 Specialized Expediton Sport, 09 Surly LHT, 12 Novara Gotham

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chipcom, Thanks.

Remembering my father... CMH recipient WWII, KIA Viet Nam.
Old 05-25-08, 09:41 AM

Bikes: '01 Specialized Hard Rock, '06 Specialized Sequoia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RockyMtnMerlin
+1
Old 05-25-08, 05:32 PM

Bikes: Specialized Creo Comp Carbon DeSalvo Custom Ti

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 4 Posts
+1

+1
Old 05-25-08, 06:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Anyday & everday that we wake up & can live a life in freedom, enjoy every tiny little thing in life is a day that we should thank all the great guys & gals, past & present who put their lives on the line for us. We just can't thank you enough.
Old 05-26-08, 11:02 AM

Bikes: Specialized Expedition Sport, Surly LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry, it was not my intent to make anyone uncormfortable.
As to remebering those who gave it all, yes we do, every day, but especially today. We lost 6 uncles in WW2, and had 5 more come home. Two are still with us today.

And as to those of you currently serving feeling as if you "don't deserve to be thought of in the same company as all those who made the ultimate sacrifice", I respectfully beg to differ- you do, and will, at least by me and mine.

And if conflict is what it takes to ensure freedom and democracy, I thank God for you, and those like you, who are willing to risk it all for the rest of us.

Here's to long life, no wars, and tailwinds.
Old 05-26-08, 11:34 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dellphinus, as the wife of an active duty Army guy I know he would appreciate your kind words.

Please let's also remember the families who have lost loved ones. These special days can be particularly difficult for them.
Old 05-26-08, 06:01 PM
Semper Fidelis

Bikes: Tiemeyer Road Bike & Ridley Domicles

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
your post is appreciated,personally it is hard day remembering many friends who did not come.
But as each year goes by the remmeberance never fades in a sense it becomes more acute.

thank you
Old 05-26-08, 06:26 PM
Daily Commuter-Tampa, FL

Bikes: Orbea Ora, Cannondale R800, old Cannondale, murry mountain bike, EZ Rider recombent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dellphinus / Chipcom / all add on and "+1s" Very well stated and quite timely. Although the holiday is officially to recognize those fallen, thankfully everyone uses it to thank those that are still surviving at it and their families sacrifices as well.

THANKS to ALL!!!

League of American Bicyclist LCI 3144
♥♥ Please support riders if you can ♥♥
Old 05-26-08, 07:10 PM
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Dellphinus
Nooo, again, I appreciate it and thank you...it was just your post that made me finally write what I had been thinking for years - that I actually feel guilty that I am here while others are not. Dude, you got more out of me than dozens of shrinks and do-gooders!
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 05-27-08, 01:24 AM
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Dellphinus
Don't feel sorry. As Chip said, we appreciate the sentiment.
You almost have to be a living Vet to understand, without being told. It is something that living Vets just feel in our hearts.

Veterans day is in honor of all Vets.
Memorial day (in our hearts), is a much higher honor for those that gave their lives; not only for America’s freedom, but to save their buddies lives (that would be us living vets).
Old 05-27-08, 05:54 AM
370H-SSV-0773H

Bikes: Merlin Fortius, Specialized Crossroads & Rockhopper, Serotta Fierte, Pedal Force RS2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
good to read this... just came in from the front to get the paper and retrieve the numerous flags i put out...

(i fly flags a number of times during the year: May 7-8 (V-E Day), third Saturday of May, Memorial Day, June 14th (Flag Day), July 4th, Aug. 15th (V-J Day), 9/11, Veterans (Armistice) Day, Dec. 7th, etc.)

the 20 years i put in certainly helped define my life and i will always treasure the comradeship of old friends...

tks to the OP for the good thoughts, and thank you from a retired vet...
Old 05-27-08, 07:57 AM
Streetfire

Bikes: Trek 1200c, BMC Streetfire, Gary Fisher Wahoo

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I echo Chipcom's sentiments exactly. Thanks
Old 05-27-08, 09:48 AM
Old Enough to Know Better