Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Memorial Weekend Rides

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Memorial Weekend Rides

Old 05-27-08, 07:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Memorial Weekend Rides

I was fortunate to be able to spend the weekend down in Louisiana with the family. I was able to get in about 100 miles in three rides. The temperatures were about right for riding, mid 90's. Humidity was typical for that part of the world at this time of year, high.

One ride was along a bayou and out to LSU at Alexandria.

This is a shot of one of the bayous I crossed on the way to the college. This is a last year's photo, but trust me, the bayou hasn't changed. I hope I haven't posted these before. I don't think I have.

This is the view from the other side of the bridge.

This is one of the live oaks at the LSUA campus. If you have a magnifying glass, you can see Ol 'Fuj parked at the base of the tree. There's no telling how old these trees are. I suspect they could tell some good stories.

On another of the rides, I rode out to England Air Park, which in a former life was England Air Force Base.

There is a static display in the central park of the base. This is an A10 Warthog with the Flying Tigers nose art. They were stationed at the base until just prior to its closure. We and several thousand of our closest friends went to the base to watch them fly in from Desert Storm. We were all very proud of them The A10s flew low over the surrounding area when they were stationed there. Their skill with the aircraft was impressive.

There are several other planes in the exhibit including an F8, two 86's, and an F105.

A Memorial Day wreath had been placed in front of the fountain and made me pause to remember the significance of the observance of Memorial Day.

It was nice to get back home and see everyone and to get to ride as well; however, the wife finally caught up with me, and I had to mow the yard.

Last edited by doctor j; 05-27-08 at 07:53 PM.
Old 05-27-08, 07:53 PM
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sweet. I've never been to your fair part of the world--but I hope to. Thanks for the pix and the write-up.
Old 05-27-08, 09:16 PM
Lincoln, CA

Bikes: 94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Bayous, ponds, oceans, lakes, rivers. There is something special about any kind of water and being able to ride a bike near it. Wouldn't it be great if we could ALL meet every weekend and ride in one 50+er's back yard? Posting pictures of our rides is as close as we can get. In a small way, we get to experience great rides all over the country, even the world.

Thanks for posting, Doctor.
'05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades
Old 05-27-08, 10:11 PM

Bikes: Trek 5500 OCLV, Trek Fuel EX 9

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo Slim
Bayous, ponds, oceans, lakes, rivers. There is something special about any kind of water and being able to ride a bike near it...
As long as the 'gators and mosquitoes are not out looking for a meal on wheels!
Old 05-28-08, 02:53 PM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
I rode 100.2 miles with 8,500 feet of climbing on Sat.
I rode 32 miles with the "fast guys" on Sat. Ave. speed 18.2 mph.
I rode 68 miles with just over 6,000 feet of climbing on Memorial Day (Monday)

But I'm a slacker here on Fifty Plus because I took zero photos!

Rick / OCRR
Old 05-28-08, 03:00 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR
I rode 100.2 miles with 8,500 feet of climbing on Sat.
I rode 32 miles with the "fast guys" on Sat. Ave. speed 18.2 mph.
I rode 68 miles with just over 6,000 feet of climbing on Memorial Day (Monday)

But I'm a slacker here on Fifty Plus because I took zero photos!
Rick / OCRR
And very few mentions of PIE in your reports either.

We just had a "Bank" Holiday in the UK- but "Whitsun" is the traditional time to get the DIY started- or hit the garden with the big guns on the extra days holiday. Took a gentle ride on Sunday due to the wifes project for me- and Monday- it rained. and it rained and it rained- About 3" worth in my area- so if I had gone out- it would have been with water wings.

Spike Milligan
Old 05-28-08, 03:11 PM

Bikes: 2009 Fuji Roubaix RC; 2011 Fuji Cross 2.0; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo Slim
Bayous, ponds, oceans, lakes, rivers. There is something special about any kind of water and being able to ride a bike near it.
+1
My wife (on her new Fuji Finest 1.0) and I took a nice ride along the Pacific Ocean from Ventura to Carpinteria and back. Only about 36 miles but the weather was awesome and we felt very fortunate to have the opportunity to enjoy the scenery and each others' company. By the end of the ride, she was even getting acclimated to using brifters!
Old 05-28-08, 04:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Living from afar (the Pacific Coast), there's aways been a romance and a fascination with "The Bayou"
I mean, songs have been written about it and everything.
Your photos make me want to be there... don't know about 90-anything being about perfect, though.
Yuck.
Old 05-28-08, 09:07 PM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 819 Posts
I like to ride my red-white-and-blue Schwinn mountain bike on national holiday weekends and around 11 September each year. (I even bought it from a San Diego firefighter.) I rode my age in km, about 60% of the distance on the Coast Highway 101, the rest on the San Luis Rey MUP. My ride was great, but I think yours is arguably more scenic -- I love those big trees.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 05-29-08, 07:49 AM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
And very few mentions of PIE in your reports either.

We just had a "Bank" Holiday in the UK- but "Whitsun" is the traditional time to get the DIY started- or hit the garden with the big guns on the extra days holiday.
Funny you should mention "Whitsun" since that was the title on our programs for the Lake Pepin 3-Speed Tour 2 weekends ago (WI on Sat,/ MN on Sun.). 101 riders on 99 old British 3-Speeds (yeah, two tandems!), and I meant to ask (after the "Blessing of the Bikes" by the Faster Pastor, the Quicker Vicar and the Pedal-file Priest) what "Whitsun" is . . . or was.

https://www.3speedtour.com/

So now I know, it means Bank Holiday.

Re: Pie, my wife brought home an Apple and a Chocolate from Marie Callendar's (mega-Pie Co. in the U.S.) and when I asked which one I should try, she said "Have a slice of each!" So I did .

Rick / OCRR
Old 05-29-08, 08:12 AM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great pictures, doctor j.

I've had the pleasure of visiting Louisiana a few times but never with a bike I'm looking forward to getting that chance.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 06-01-08, 03:43 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just got back from short but beautiful ride of 14 miles. Couldn't get out until 3 and had a commitment at 5, so it had to be short. Perfect day of near 80 degrees, light breeze, many Spring flowers still in bloom. I took my bent this time and was able to maintain a steady 14 mph pace on a paved MUP. I've never been able to do that on the bent before. The ride even had a couple of hlls in it.

After too much inactivity this year, I've gotten in 4 rides over the past 8 days. Starting to feel much better now. Grand total mileage was only 96, but that's a big step up from where I've been since last October.

Got back and celebrated with a big slice of "sugar-free" cherry pie, that I purchased from an Amish booth at the local Farmer's Market. It was delicious.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 06-01-08, 05:33 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 61 Posts
We spent our Memorial Day weekend on a small island where our only transportation was by bike. In that sense, the entire trip was a three day bike ride.

https://www.kodakgallery.com/Slidesho...3_679737921603

Paul