Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What Can a 75-Year-Old Do?

If you're wondering if you've got what it takes to shape up to ride you age or take on a century, this might inspire you.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/asiapc...rss_topstories
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

My Bikes
    Cinelli Supercoursa 69, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Mondonico Diamond Extra 05, Coors Light Greg Lemond (built by Scapin) 88, Scapin MTB, Stumpjumper 83, Specialized Stumpjumper M4, Lemond Poprad 2001
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Indeed! I ride with a 74 year old who is in fantastic shape who rode the Triple by pass just a couple of years ago. Just need to ride regularly and live in moderation.

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, I still have 7 years left of training before my Everest attempt. Whew, I thought I might have to do it sooner.

Quote Originally Posted by Deanster04 View Post
    Indeed! I ride with a 74 year old who is in fantastic shape who rode the Triple by pass just a couple of years ago. Just need to ride regularly and live in moderation.
    Where is this "moderation" place located. Seems like a good place to live. Is it in Colorado? If I live in moderation, will it help me climb Everest?
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 05-26-08 at 06:03 AM.
    Almost gone from the 50+ forum. - Email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for another fun new group of 50+ folks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A 74 year old was dropping most of us on a group ride on Monday, for a while anyway. He did almost 50 miles. All I can hope for is to do as well at that age.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Years ago, I had a landlord in her 80's who would ride her bike 1/2 mile to the maibox.

My Bikes
    Rocky Mountain Solo 30, 2007 REI Novara Safari and Cannondale MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a journal at crazyguyonabike that has two or three 70 year old plus women riding from Florida to California. They average 63 miles per day. One day of rest per week. They have a sag wagon. They ride in wind or rain or whatever. Don't give up!

My Bikes
    '04 Trek 2300; '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ride with group ranging in age from 62 to 75 and the three oldest, 70,73 and 75 are the fastest of us all and able to maintain 18mph or more for miles and miles.

screenwasher
    My Bikes
    Jamis Aurora 2007, Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe 2006, Trek Antelope 820
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The ride leader on our mid-week morning club rides of 30-40+ miles is in his early 80's. He rides a recumbent trike and gives the rest of us a good workout keeping up with him. He is also getting ready for a week-long tour with a bunch of 'kids' in their 70s.

My Bikes
    Actual 10-speed Olmo road, Bianchi BUSS, Kona A-Ha, Schwinn Moab 2 rain bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Drove Sag for a century a few years back. Picked up a 78 year old with two artificial knees who was embarrassed he was sagging at 80 miles. He showed me the scars.
    Last edited by Fredmertz51; 05-28-08 at 10:02 PM. Reason: After thought
    Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.

Gios
    My Bikes
    Look 586
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did an "Etape" ride last year .. 220 km's, 3000m (or was it 4k?) of climbing including one 1st cat climb. Pretty heavy for me, but I got through - something like 40% of riders didn't make the 11 hour cutoff.

At the start, they had a big panel with a list of all the riders. Out of curiosity, I did a quick scan of a bit of it and found someone who was 75. Noted his name, then checked the results after .. he beat me by 15 minutes.