My name is Mike Childs, and I am a firefighter with La Porte (TX) Fire Department. I am also 50 years old. I am veteran participant in The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society’s Team In Training program. Team In Training participants pledge to train for a bicycle century ride, marathon, or triathlon to help raise money for leukemia, lymphoma, Hodgkin’s disease and myeloma research, as well as patient assistance programs.

I am training to ride in the Honolulu Century on September 28, 2008. This will be my second century ride as a Team In Training participant. However, I will be cycling for a reason much more important than the personal challenge of completing a 100 mile century ride. For the Fall 2008 season, I am riding in honor of Judy Dunn, the wife of Terry Dunn, a La Porte Fire Department career firefighter. Judy was diagnosed with lymphoma 10 years ago. She underwent treatment, including a stem cell transplant, and was in remission. Last year, Judy was again diagnosed with cancer; this time, she was diagnosed with a form of leukemia. She is currently undergoing her third round of radiation and chemotherapy while awaiting a donor for a bone marrow transfusion.

In the 20 years since its inception, Team In Training has raised over $850 million for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. For the Fall 2008 season, my goal is to raise $5900.00 for LLS. I am asking my fellow cyclists to help me meet that goal with a charitable contribution to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. By donating, you will be supporting The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society’s vital mission, which is to cure leukemia, lymphoma, Hodgkin’s disease and myeloma, and to improve the quality of life of patients and their families. Every 5 minutes, someone new is diagnosed with blood cancer; every 10 minutes, someone dies.

The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society is a registered charitable organization with the IRS, so any donation is 100% tax deductible. You can use your credit or debit card to donate instantly and painlessly on my website. If you prefer to donate by check, please make your check payable to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. I realize in these troubling financial times, some might find it difficult to donate; however, it is much more difficult to undergo chemotherapy than it is to make a charitable donation. Thank you for your help in finding a cure for blood cancers.

Michael E. Childs
Firefighter/Paramedic
La Porte (TX) Fire Department

Visit my TNT website to make a credit or debit card donation:

http://pages.teamintraining.org/txg/honoride08/mchilds