User Tag List

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My First Century for the Fifth Time

I awoke before 6:00am to the sound of rain on a metal roof. Romantic, but not what one wants to hear on the morning of a 100 mile ride.

I had returned to Plumas County, CA, my home of 36 years until 9 months ago, to ride in the Indian Valley Century. In 2004, it was the first century I ever rode. It is always my last big ride before starting the AIDS/LifeCycle San Francisco to Los Angeles ride in a week.

I had spent the night at friends' house, right on the ride route. A group of riders was to meet there at 7:00am. Here's the view out my guest-bedroom window.

The phone rang at 6:00. Two riders are bailing out. My hosts decided to bail out. By 7:25 NO ONE had showed up. "I'm going anyway, you wimps!", I shouted to no one in particular, but scared the cat. Soon after getting into my togs, 10 people had arrived, including some of my former colleagues/bike buddies. OK. This would be fun. Off we went. Here's a few of us about a mile into the ride.

We rode from the house into the town of Greenville (11 miles) to register for the ride. I had just installed new brake pads and rode the first 6-7 miles with the front brake rubbing. The sports director from the local paper was there. He knew all of us (I had even worked at the paper a bit in the past) and took our picture. We looked a bit wet and bedraggled already. It rained moderately hard for the first 25 miles, and stayed at about 45 degrees. Here's Pete, in full waterproof regalia, right down to his booties, and Elliott, clad in shorts and rain jacket.

The first 40 miles (because we started from the house) is almost perfectly flat, just two little rollers. Two of the female spouses were riding along, one doing her first ride over 30 miles and celebrating her 50th birthday. The pace was very relaxed, eventually evening out at 14 mph. There was more chatting than hammering. Well, there wasn't any hammering at all. This is on the route.

The turn around for the metric century is at the little (one store/deli, two houses) of Genessee. This is where a hot lunch is served. Ribs, brisket, black beans, rice--plus cold cut sandwich makings, and the usual cookies, fruit salad, etc. Note the use of the picket fence as a bike rack.

After lunch, an 11 mile climb starts. But it's raining again. I spoke to a rider who had just come down from the top. Snow up there. By group consensus, it was decided to just do the metric. Actually, I was the only one in the group who had planned on the 100 mile, and I didn't need the miles.

It's essentially an out-and-back. One more picture.

In fact, most of the group short cutted the ride home, looking for 50 miles. I left them at mile 48 @ 14mph. I rode the last 12 miles at a faster speed and ended at 14.7 mph. I had to ride by the house about 1/2 mile and return to get to 62 miles. By the end, I was dry, except for my socks. Everyone gathered back at the house for margaritas and buffalo burgers. Mmmmm.

After lunch, I jumped in my old truck and headed back to my new home in Lincoln, iPod playing the blues and Rocky Patel cigar smoke wafting out the sun roof as it continued to rain. Another great day on a bicycle.
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Funny how some pics show the reality of the ride- My keyboard now needs a wipe down from the rain drops falling from the monitor. Looks a great ride with a great bunch of riders. Just a pity about the lack of forethought in not being able to keep the feet dry.

Great ride.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Erect member since 1953 cccorlew's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Fantom Outlaw turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice photos and report!
    WANTED: Not a darn thing. I've got it all. Life is good.
    Website at curtis.corlew.com Bicycle blog at ccorlew.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's a little rain.? Didn't look that bad and those shots make me want to be there.
    Very nice... thanks
    '13 Felt Z3 - '08 Jamis Aurora Elite - ('07 Giant OCR C2)

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the pics and the report!

Pat
    My Bikes
    litespeed, cannondale
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent account. Nice photos too. Sometimes those wet rides turn out just great.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mojo Slim,
    I did the the "Rings Around Paso Robles Century" at the Great Western Bike Rally this weekend (Sunday). For a significant part of the ride it was in the low 50's F and raining down here, too. There was a 1 mile section which rode on Highway 101 which I did in drizzle... Not the most fun with all those big-rigs zooming by. Usually it is 90 or 100 F down here at this time of year. Frankly, I like the cool, wet better. Although 350 had signed up for the Century I would be surprised if more than about 50 actually did it (wimps)...I only saw 10 others (who passed me in mini-peletons). Glad I had fenders for this one.

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That looks and sounds like a really great ride, and I bet you are very satisfied that you didn't wimp out. I love the pic with the house and the bikes parked in front, it sure tells a story.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Smokester View Post
    Mojo Slim,
    I did the the "Rings Around Paso Robles Century" at the Great Western Bike Rally this weekend (Sunday). For a significant part of the ride it was in the low 50's F and raining down here, too. There was a 1 mile section which rode on Highway 101 which I did in drizzle... Not the most fun with all those big-rigs zooming by. Usually it is 90 or 100 F down here at this time of year. Frankly, I like the cool, wet better. Although 350 had signed up for the Century I would be surprised if more than about 50 actually did it (wimps)...I only saw 10 others (who passed me in mini-peletons). Glad I had fenders for this one.
    Smokester,

I'm passing through Paso (I'm an old San Luis Obispo boy) on June 3 & 4, camping at the fairgrounds, as part of the AIDS/LifeCycle SF to LA ride. Look for me. I'll be the one riding a bike.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros

My Bikes
    '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the ride report and great pictures. This century was on our short list to do this year (Cgallagh has flown his hang glider up there for years; we love Greenville and the beauty of the valley) but obviously we didn't make it. Your pics and report have us reconsidering our next year's centuries.

Wet or dry, that's some gorgeous country to ride.
    When my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, *****, she's awake!"

Visit my blog.

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Slim View Post
    The turn around for the metric century is at the little (one store/deli, two houses) of Genessee. This is where a hot lunch is served. Ribs, brisket, black beans, rice--plus cold cut sandwich makings, and the usual cookies, fruit salad, etc.
    Hey! You guys in California get "hot lunch" at food breaks?

Nice ride!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    great narrative!
    you'll also enjoy this century play-by-play on these pages!
    good stuff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whenever I see a Mojo Slim ride report I eagerly tune in, I've never been disappointed. Your cycling adventures always inspire me.

That pic with the "bike rack" is an award winner.

Thanks.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BengeBoy View Post
    Hey! You guys in California get "hot lunch" at food breaks?

Nice ride!
    That's how we roll!
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    Whenever I see a Mojo Slim ride report I eagerly tune in, I've never been disappointed. Your cycling adventures always inspire me.

That pic with the "bike rack" is an award winner.

Thanks.
    Thank YOU. I take some version of that picture every year. This was the best. The bikes are usually just crammed in there.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros