Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

70+ - The END or the BEGINNING?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-08, 07:00 AM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

We just came back from my wife's 50th nursing school graduation reunion. That would mean most are just at 70 or so years old.

A small, very close, class of about 25, of whom about 15-18 came to the reunion.

Some folks were into adventures, doing new things, challenging themselves.

Others were looking at "retirement homes" where you pay a bundle up front and they feed you and you get to go in the van with others to "outings" and other "great" things. You know - coat and tie in the dining room (the one they are looking at has four different dining rooms, each with a different menu), etc. Bridge with the other old folks. An occasional "cruise," sitting on the veranda.

One didn't come but wrote a letter indicating that they were just about out of things to do in life, and they were arranging their affairs, etc. She has stopped volunteering, stopped quilting, and made the statement that, "Her mom died at 90, and they guessed they would be the next to die."

Will (was?) your 70+ be "The End" or "The Beginning?"

How about people you know?

Some of your parents are 70+ - are they "ending" or "beginning?"

Last edited by DnvrFox; 05-28-08 at 07:26 AM.
Old 05-28-08, 07:12 AM
Climbing Above It All

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My mom is 74, still works a couple days a week, travels around the Country seeing friends, travels to Europe twice a year, just came back from somewhere in the Caribbean.

I ride with a guy that is 71, just rode a century with 5000' of climbing in 5.5 hours. Said he couldn't find his legs until mile 80.

My wife's parents live next door. Her mom gardens for 5 hours a day at age 84. She can out work me. Until she moved next to us in the mountains she would ride her bike 6 miles and walk 3 miles each day. Now she just walks.

I guess it just comes down to desire and how narrow one's world is. I hear people tell me about how great their cruise was to wherever and all I can think of is being couped up on a boat. For some vacation means laying at the beach with a book, I would be bored in a second. To each their own I guess.
Old 05-28-08, 07:28 AM
Old Enough to Know Better

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Dad is in his early 70's, but was disabled from the Air Force something like 1974 or so, so that's 30+ years with back surgeries, a lot of "forced" inactivity and stress.

He's now battling a variety of ailments that may be hereditary or complicated by his medical history, he definately talks like he thinks he's at the end.

I try to gently prod him along to do what he can physically and to get into something interesting to keep him mentally engaged. But it's a struggle. When you've made your mind up that you can't do what you want, it's hard to get your mind right about finding something else.

Right now Grandchildren and the prospects of Great-Grandchildren seems to keep him going, but he's never been able to adjust to going from a "Super Sargent" (E9) to handicapped. Some of it is rules that cut into his benefits if he tries to do much and some is self imposed because he is "damaged goods".
Old 05-28-08, 07:30 AM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
When one turns 70, it is the beginning of what is left. For some what is left will be substantial, for others, not much.

We hear tales of those who continue to climb mountains, ride centuries, run marathons, heck ... run major corporations and countries after 70. People who continue to find satisfaction in accomplishments. I certainly admire them.

I also admire those who simply find peace and happiness. People who do wind it back and just enjoy life, people who garden, who take walks, who visit family, who travel, who read, etc. There's nothing wrong with enjoying life.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 05-28-08, 07:56 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think it is the luck of the gene pool. My dad never made it to 70, Lou Gherigs disease, mom was still driving at 80. Father in law still flying his plane at 70, his wife had medical problems all her life. Who knows, all you can do is stay fit and hope for the best.
Old 05-28-08, 08:06 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
My parents are in their mid 70s. They just returned from a trip doing disaster relief in a small town hit hard by recent tornadoes. After one day of rest they headed up to my sister's house for the annual "slave week" when they help her with yard work. When they get home from that they'll settle into the routine of maintaining their house and rental house and yards, cooking for the weekly church supper and other church activities. That will go on until they either get the call for another relief trip or they take another vacation overseas.

If they are any indication of how my 70s will be, I'd better rest up now to get ready.
Old 05-28-08, 08:41 PM
Clipless faller

Bikes: 2008 Specialized Allez Elite Compact, 1981 Raleigh Super Record 10-sp, Trek 4900 MTB

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Both my mom and dad took to heart the line, "The days of our lives are three score and ten." Once they hit 70, they got ready to die. Mom lived to be 80, Dad to 87. They didn't do much after hitting 70, but sit around and watch TV. I watched them, and learned from them -- learned what not to do.
Old 05-29-08, 06:00 AM
Oldtimer

Bikes: Cannondale road and MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A few years ago I had two senior riders approach me about getting ready to ride a time trial in the Senior Olympics. One was 67 the other was 73. We concentrated on speed work twice a week since they both did LSD (long slow distance) rides everyday. The 73-year-old hit an unbelievable heart rate of 173 on his first 200 yard sprint. In his case and in others I've seen the only limits we have are those we impose upon ourselves. I don't know about an end or a beginning, but 70+ should be a continuation.
Old 05-29-08, 06:13 AM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox

Will (was?) your 70+ be "The End" or "The Beginning?"

How about people you know?
Since I'm closer to 70 than 60 I'm hoping it's just the beginning.

My father turned 89 this year and my stepmother is 95. They still live in their own home and enjoy reasonable health. My father had a mild stroke last year but has recovered nicely. My mother had cancer and passed away when she was 61.

I'll be attending a high school reunion next month. I see many of my childhood friends regularly and I can honestly say I'm probably in better health than most of them. So many are overweight, don't do any type of exercise and suffer many of the illnesses associated with that lifestyle. Keeping fit doesn't guarantee us good health but it sure doesn't hurt.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 05-29-08, 08:13 AM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
As he approaches his 79th birthday, my father is still healthy and living in his own home, as is his 81-year-old brother. In contrast, at 84, my wife's father is evidently at the "beginning of the end," but her 82-year-old mother looks and acts like a woman in her early 60s, with many active and productive years ahead. Genetics and lifestyle are the great variables here, but overall today's 80-to-85-year-olds seem about equivalent to the 70-year-olds of, say, 30 years ago.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 05-29-08, 02:53 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Made a very good friend 20 years ago when I moved to my current house. I was 42 and he had just retired at 65. Both keen gardeners and he would offer his advice and I would follow it. This normally meant mowing his lawn or rotavating his garden but he was great. Then he contracted Cancer at 70 and it was time for him to "Enjoy" his remaining time and sit and do nothing. He lasted 5 years although the Cancer had been cured.

Once you decide it is time- That is it.

Just hope that I decide it's my time after it has happened.

Spike Milligan
Old 05-29-08, 04:53 PM
Happy Rider

Bikes: Gold Rush, Moots compact, Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
seventy is just a number. a number has no meaning other than to say how long you have been here. i feel we are too preconditioned to try to live up to perceptions based on age. like i said one time before--and was accused of being on crack cocaine--my grandmother lived to be 108, father 91 and died of staph infection contacted in hospital for hip replacement, my great grandmother lived to 96 and died after she stole her neighbor's green plums and washed them down w/buttermilk and death diagnosis was acute indigestion. me**********?? i'm going to be run over by an 18 wheeler riding my bike down hwy 82 when i'm 120............................or maybe 134. Why Not??
Old 05-29-08, 05:47 PM

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by card
seventy is just a number. a number has no meaning other than to say how long you have been here. i feel we are too preconditioned to try to live up to perceptions based on age.
I have a close business association with a man who will be 90 next month. He's had his desk in the same PLACE (not building, or room, but PLACE) since 1948. He's there 3 to 5 hours per day to check the mail, pay his bills, and read the papers. He can do whatever he wants to, as he is worth well into 8 figures, and he does take off regularly to travel.

He always said if he was just working to retire he figured he was dead already and just didn't know it. Oh yeah, he made most of his money after he was 65.
Old 05-29-08, 07:00 PM
My other car is a bike

Bikes: Specialized Ruby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As I've mentioned before, my stepfather turned 87 in April. He golfs a couple times a week, goes into San Francisco weekly to play dominos with his cronies, and walks a few miles every day. And he still competently drives a Jaguar (has always loved cars, that one!). And has a girlfriend. My mother suffered from kidney disease for close to 10 years, but remained very active until she died at close to 80 almost 4 years ago.

On the other hand, my mother-in-law (82?) gave up about 5 years ago. She watches TV all day, let her beautiful garden that she tended for decades just fade away, and even stopped watering it. No exercise, little socializing, little self-tending either. I'm sure she is suffering from depression, but refuses to be treated for it. My father-in-law is suffering from dementia. So it's hard for them.
Old 05-29-08, 09:28 PM

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
At ages 75/73 we figure we better get done what we want to do; got more time behind us than ahead of us! Figured when we get 'older' we can then watch TV or play cards or whatever old folks do. Right now we are spending 3 months in Utah, and yes brought the tandem and Rudy's racing bike.
Got in a ride on tandem today and got a nice "KABOOM" blowout about 2 miles from our apartment. The hole in tire was 2+ inches, no way to boot it, so we used our feet and walked home.
We've always been quite active, both have survived cancer but are still fit. While we no longer ride centuries, we do get out on tandem 'bout 5 days a week and Rudy sneaks out on his single at least once a week.

Growin' old is not for sissies!

Pedal on TWOgether!
Rudy and Kay/zonatandem
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IR&K spring07.jpg (48.7 KB, 8 views)
Old 05-30-08, 05:44 AM

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts