Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Greetings from Fast across America South Tour

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-08, 11:27 PM

Bikes: Trek 7700, C'dale R2000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

We completed Day two of our tour and there is Internet access in this motel. That is not always a sure thing in these second rank places.
The purpose of this thread is for those who wish to do such a tour. I will try to give helpful hints exposing some things which did not go as intended.
The tour leader has his Web Site but is challenged by time constraint. It will become complete in a few days.
Here is the link:
https://www.bamacyclist.com/Journal20...8fastsouth.htm

There are over 30 bikers from all over the USA and England. The rider rooster is not complete yet. The age range of riders is from the low twenties to 70. The fitness of riders is also very diverse. That means that on any given day, of 120 miles of biking, some arrive at 3:00 PM at the motel and others limp in at 6:00 PM onthe sweep SAG. No biking after dusk.

This is my second tour and I was one of the not so well trained bikers. I had a tough time in 2006 and hope to do better this time. This is my personal goal. Get better regardless of age (for now).

I will post short notice of things I find noteworthy and will post some pictures. I have a digital Camera and a data cord for this Laptop. Can someone again give a short description how to insert a picture from this camera on this forum please?
Please see my next post for day one.
Old 04-22-08, 11:41 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Day one. Monday April 21, 2008.
Costa Mesa to Thousand Palms, CA.
On such a tour the logistics are challenging. The bike better be in good order, you need to be healthy and do not forget important stuff.
Jack had a wheel where a little part disappeared in shipment. He needed a new wheel in a hurry.
I had a valve come apart on a new tube. That part screws into the valve stem. This was not done right by the manufacturer. The result was a flat just as we were ready to go as a group of over 30 bikers.

In all the excitement and Adrenalin flowing I forgot to eat between meals. Predictable result was performance loss.
Still, I managed to be in the motel signing in as #6. On the 2006 tour I was among the last to sign in.

Biking from the LA area to Palm Springs is a job for someone from the flat Plains. We cannot easily train for that.
Old 04-23-08, 12:06 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Day two. Tuesday April 22, 2008.
Thousand Palms, CA. to Blythe, CA
Desert biking does require some training I think. We did 18 MPH average for these approximately 120 miles.
Speeds went up as high as 45 MPH with wind from behind and next the wind turned against us for the rest of the distance.

One young women passed out and had to be brought to the ER at the local Hospital.
I actually ran out of water and needed to take emergency action but all is well with that.

My personal quest was fulfilled in that I checked in #3 at the motel.
The bikes take a beating. This is no place for sensitive high end wheels. We biked the shoulder of I-10 and the quality of that surface is miserable in places. There were over ten flats and broken spokes.

You need a sturdy bike but it also needs to be a fast bike. I have a Trek Madone and so far so good. The saddle is a Terry Touring saddle. The tires are Bontrager Hard Case.
We travel light on account of the SAG support.

Someone gave me some powder to put into a bottle of water. It is called I believe "Accelerator" and is available in bike stores and Internet.
Does any body know about it good or bad? It seemed to help. The guy who gave it to me is a Triathlon athlete and is on this tour.

Last edited by will dehne; 04-23-08 at 09:07 PM.
Old 04-23-08, 04:14 AM
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,828 Times in 2,228 Posts
Will -- from the Accelerade website

Why Accelerade is Better
Exercise Metabolism
Carbohydrates and fats are the primary fuels metabolized during endurance exercise. However, during prolonged exercise, protein can contribute 5-10% of total energy demands [1, 2] and this contribution can increase under conditions of low carbohydrate stores [3, 4]. Protein's contribution to total energy production during exercise is less than carbohydrates and fat, but don't rule out the impact protein can have during endurance training and performance.

The type of fuel that is used by the muscles for energy during endurance exercise is dependent on numerous factors such as exercise intensity, diet composition, duration, and training. For example, during low to moderate (<65% VO2 max) intensity, the muscles rely primarily on fat for energy [5]. As exercise intensity increases, there is a shift to an increased reliance on carbohydrates [5]. The use of protein by exercising muscle also increases as exercise intensity increases.

Macronutrient (carbohydrate, protein and fat) consumption throughout the day and during exercise has an impact on exercise performance. Every athlete wants to perform at his/her best. To do this, delaying the onset of fatigue during exercise is a must. Known causes of fatigue during endurance exercise are low carbohydrate stores and/or low blood sugar. Therefore, during prolonged endurance exercise (> 60 minutes), carbohydrate intake is necessary. A sports drink containing carbohydrates and electrolytes is recommended. The general guidelines for moderate intensity exercise are to consume a 6-8% carbohydrate containing sports drink at a rate of 30-60 grams of carbohydrates for every hour of exercise [6]. This would equal about 4-6 fl oz of a sports drink every 15-20 minutes. Depending on environmental temperature, body size, duration, and exercise level some athletes may need to consume additional carbohydrates or fluid [6]. Accelerade not only contains the recommended 6% carbohydrates and electrolytes but it also contains just the right amount of protein. The protein found in Accelerade contains the minimum amount so as to not interfere with digestion during exercise while providing an array of functional benefits. In addition to increasing endurance and minimizing the onset of fatigue, the added protein in Accelerade, when consumed during exercise, facilitates rehydration, minimizes the breakdown of muscle that occurs during endurance exercise, and speeds up the recovery process. All of which are beneficial to those looking to achieve their fitness and performance goals.

Beyond hydration
During exercise, an athlete's body needs fluids. Period. That's why replenishing fluids during exercise is crucial - especially in the heat. When the body loses fluids through sweating, body temperature elevates and exercise performance drops. This isn't a good thing.

The most important function of a sports drink is to rehydrate. But a drained body also needs to restore energy and electrolytes. That's why so many athletes choose carbohydrate and electrolyte-rich sports drinks instead of water. Sodium is the primary electrolyte lost in sweat followed by potassium. That's why both are included in sports drinks. These electrolytes can serve to enhance flavor and encourage athletes to drink more. They also promote fluid retention. The addition of carbohydrates can delay fatigue during prolonged exercise and improve performance.

But, carbohydrates and electrolytes aren't the only thing an athlete's body needs. Along comes Accelerade - the first sports drink to contain carbohydrates and protein in a patented 4:1 ratio.

A ratio? Yes, a ratio.

The inclusion of just the right amount of protein in Accelerade facilitates rehydration by optimizing the absorption of fluid. In 2006, researchers at St. Cloud University demonstrated that consuming Accelerade following cycling exercise significantly enhanced rehydration by 15% compared to a conventional sports drink and 40% compared to water.

How does this happen? Accelerade contains two macronutrients (protein and carbohydrates) and each macronutrient uses a separate transport system or 'door' to enter into the body's circulation from the intestine. As carbohydrates and protein enter, they bring sodium and water with them. So with the added protein, more entrance ways are available for sodium and water to enter into circulation; thus increasing rehydration [7].

Taking endurance farther
Accelerade has been shown to help athletes increase their endurance.

In 2004, sports scientists at James Madison University asked trained cyclists to ride stationary bicycles to exhaustion while drinking either Accelerade or a conventional sports drink. The athletes drinking Accelerade were able to ride 29 percent longer than those drinking the conventional sports drink.

At the University of Texas, when Accelerade was compared to a conventional sports drink, it extended endurance up to 36 percent and up to 55 percent compared to water.
Old 04-23-08, 05:56 AM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Will-sounds like things are off to a fast start! Good for you!

Pictures-I've found the easiest thing to do is to move them from your laptop to a web site like Photobucket. You can then insert a link for each picture directly into your post that will put the picture in the post. Otherwise you can put them directly into the post from your laptop but they cannot be larger than 100k. Most times you have to reduce their size before you can use the direct link from the laptop.

Think of Accelerade as a souped up powdered Gatorade. Just be careful experimenting with stuff you haven't tried-you know how sometimes the things that don't work well can create havoc on your digestive system. Try and stick with what works best for you but certainly do whatever is needed for emergencies.

Thanks for the updates. Keep 'em coming as you have time.
Old 04-23-08, 06:25 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Will, I'm so impressed with the places you go and rides you do. Mind if I daydream about doing the same at some point in my life?
Old 04-23-08, 06:30 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Will:

As in the past, feel free to Email the pictures to me and I will post for you on this thread.

dnvrfox@aol.com
Old 04-23-08, 06:52 AM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
Way to go Will, I wish I were there with you. Get some more of that wind on your back and have a safe trip.
Old 04-23-08, 02:34 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by will dehne
Someone gave me some powder to put into a bottle of water. It is called I believe "Accelerator" and is available in bike stores and Internet.
Does any body know about it good or bad? It seemed to help. The guy who gave it to me is a Triathlon athlete and is on this tour.
Don't know about "Accelerator"-but I use an additive in my water bottle. Most of the time I use an Isotonic to replace salts used on the ride and to aid Hydration but for the longer rides I use a carbohydrate drink. I find that after 6 hours in the saddle- I don't feel like eating but I will drink. The carbohydrate in the drink does cut down on the possibility of "Bonking".

Keep the reports coming.

Spike Milligan
Old 04-23-08, 09:24 PM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1390 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 835 Posts
Go, Will! We're rooting for you.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 04-23-08, 10:03 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Day three. Wednesday April 23, 2008.
Blythe, CA to Wickenburg, AZ.
This desert is very dry and hot. It presents challenges for people who have not done touring in this type of weather.
I bike in Florida on one bottle of water per hour. Not here. You need at least a bottle plus replace the electrolytes. Thanks for the Accelerade Web site from Wildwood. I also checked with our tour leader and he said it is OK in moderation.
One experienced over 50+ rider lost concentration and fell hard. He lost consciousness for over one hour and was transported to a Hospital by Helicopter. Sorry to say that the tour is over for him.
Perhaps this is a good place to post the diet I follow. I do not claim great insight but it seems to work.
Remember what you wish for is not necessarily what is available.

Breakfast: Double Oatmeal and two Pancakes.
Every hour of riding I add some energy bar such as Oats and Honey.
Lunch at SAG: Look for salty food. Several pickles. Sandwich with cheese and honey or jelly. Fig bars and bananas.
Recovery drink right after end of ride is Milkshake, large.
Dinner is Steak and Veggies and potatoes and breads and salad.
Drink water ice tea and a few Beers in the evening. Gatorade and now Water with Accelerade.

One very positive note: I got Bontrager Hardcase tires. The road contact area is black with red on both sides. That is a good thing to see any objects in the tire such as wires from Steel Belted Radials.
Long story short: No flats yet.
More tomorrow.

Last edited by will dehne; 04-24-08 at 05:54 AM.
Old 04-23-08, 10:08 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Will:

As in the past, feel free to Email the pictures to me and I will post for you on this thread.

dnvrfox@aol.com

Denver:
I think I will take you up on this. I have little time here and even less ability to concentrate to learn new tricks on the computer. There are so many things to do besides biking 120 miles. Laundry. Service the bike. Find and eat Dinner. Rap meetings. Answer e-mails to friends and relatives. Call the wife and do Bike forum post. Get up at 5:00 AM and start biking before 7:00 AM. It is really a challenge.
Old 04-23-08, 10:16 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
.................................................................................................... ..Think of Accelerade as a souped up powdered Gatorade. Just be careful experimenting with stuff you haven't tried-you know how sometimes the things that don't work well can create havoc on your digestive system. Try and stick with what works best for you but certainly do whatever is needed for emergencies.

Thanks for the updates. Keep 'em coming as you have time.
Thanks for the suggestions.
I have a bit of a problem. We need to replace electrolytes that is for sure. The tour offers powder which goes into the water and nobody loves that stuff. Gatorade is not always available. So I checked what the more experienced riders do.
But as you say, I am a bit apprehensive.
Denver Fox offers to help with the pictures. That is more easy than playing around with the computer here. There is much to do and only limited time.
You guys are important to me.
Old 04-23-08, 10:19 PM
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1430 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by George
I wish I were there with you.
So what part of his story sold you?

"The age range of riders is from the low twenties to 70"

"The fitness of riders is also very diverse."

"Jack had a wheel where a little part disappeared in shipment. He needed a new wheel in a hurry."

"I had a valve come apart on a new tube."

"One young women passed out and had to be brought to the ER at the local Hospital."

"We biked the shoulder of I-10"

"There were over ten flats and broken spokes."

"One experienced over 50+ rider lost concentration and fell hard. He lost consciousness for over one hour and was transported to a Hospital by Helicopter."

Are we reading the same thread? That's just two days of mayhem. I know I can't wait for more.
Old 04-23-08, 10:19 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
Will -- from the Accelerade website

Why Accelerade is Better
Thanks. I read this and our tour leader is not discouraging me to use the stuff in Moderation.
Old 04-23-08, 10:22 PM
Biker looking for a ride!

Bikes: Kuota Kreedo...looking for something different.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been looking to do this tour...what a great thread.

Thanks Will and good luck...

Do you need a care package? I have heard that you know you will be at a certain spot at a certain time I think it might be fun to see what was sent...maybe no time...

Also I see on Day 15 you will be in McAlester, OK are visits welcome. It would be nice to meet the riders and maybe buy you guys a few beers...

Again thanks for the updates...
Old 04-24-08, 05:26 AM
Banned.

Denver:
I think I will take you up on this. I have little time here and even less ability to concentrate to learn new tricks on the computer. There are so many things to do besides biking 120 miles. Laundry. Service the bike. Find and eat Dinner. Rap meetings. Answer e-mails to friends and relatives. Call the wife and do Bike forum post. Get up at 5:00 AM and start biking before 7:00 AM. It is really a challenge.
I'll be waiting for them. So far, none received.
Old 04-24-08, 06:05 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
This thread is directed to bikers who wish to do such a trip.
I thought that some warnings were in order. We had plenty of warnings but many bikers ignored the tour leaders advise. I am trying to reinforce his efforts. I am not trying to be alarmist.
The advise is to train a lot. Next advise is to bike VC. Next advise is to focus, eat and drink right.

I can post many pretty pictures but this is more important for future CC bikers. IMHO.
Old 04-24-08, 06:07 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
I'll be waiting for them. So far, none received.
You are encouraging me to make more pictures. Please give me a day or two.
Will
Old 04-24-08, 06:08 AM
Banned.

You are encouraging me to make more pictures. Please give me a day or two.
Will
Great. I know everyone will greatly appreciate the pictures and your efforts.

Good luck and have a great and safe time.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 04-24-08 at 06:20 AM.
Old 04-24-08, 07:33 AM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike

"The age range of riders is from the low twenties to 70"

"The fitness of riders is also very diverse."

"Jack had a wheel where a little part disappeared in shipment. He needed a new wheel in a hurry."

"I had a valve come apart on a new tube."

"One young women passed out and had to be brought to the ER at the local Hospital."

"We biked the shoulder of I-10"

"There were over ten flats and broken spokes."

"One experienced over 50+ rider lost concentration and fell hard. He lost consciousness for over one hour and was transported to a Hospital by Helicopter."

Are we reading the same thread? That's just two days of mayhem. I know I can't wait for more.
Just to make a trip like this and the accomplishment you can look back on when your older or done with the trip. Everybody that makes a trip like this has to know that things are going to go wrong. That's part of it. If people think that they can just ride across the country with nothing happening, would have to be a fool.
Old 04-24-08, 07:49 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8261 Post(s)
Liked 8,997 Times in 4,456 Posts
Good job, Will, and thanks for sharing your adventure.
Old 04-24-08, 08:55 AM

Bikes: 1976 Apollo Mk IV, mid-'80s Miyata touring bike, mid-'80s Miyata mtn bike, 2007 Trek 6500 mtn bike, 2008 Trek Madone 5.2

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm glad your Trek Madone is performing well. I have a 2008 Madone 5.2 and it is the most comfortable bike I have ever ridden. It really absorbs road abuse, better even than my long wheel base steel touring bike with 700x32 tires.
Old 04-24-08, 12:03 PM

Bikes: Used Marin MTB, New 6/06 Scott Contessa Speedster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am so glad you are keeping us updated again!
Old 04-24-08, 01:09 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good going Will. I like your diet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.