User Tag List

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rio Vista Rumble 200k brevet

One week after doing my first century of the year, I did my first 200k brevet. It was the Rio Vista Rumble permanent brevet route. 17 Lone Star Randonneur members left out of Lynn Creek Marina at Joe Pool Lake at 6:30 am this morning, heading southwest through Alvarado and Rio Vista, then looping back east, but more to the south, through Blum for a return ride through Itasca, Maypearl, and Midlothian.

The south wind was howling early, but the clouds with it were certainly welcome. That wind was brutal on the first part of this ride. I managed to stay with the main group all the way to the first control stop in Blum at mile 59. With that first control so far away, we also made an unscheduled stop at a store in Alvarado at mile 30. On the rolling hills coming back from Blum, I was dropped fairly quickly, as were a number of others, and I joined and split with a number of riders all the way to the last control at mile 95 at Maypearl. Ophan Hill, just east of Itasca, especially seemed to spread the group out a lot, and I was very slow getting up this hill. I kept catching individual riders on the downhills after it.

I left the last control with the main group, but as fried as I already was, and with the hills I knew were coming, I had no intention of staying with the group, instead getting up close and personal with my cue sheet, and riding at a comfortable pace, by myself the rest of the way. 1 mile north of Maypearl, we turned onto Old Buena Vista Road. The hill on this road can be pretty tough when it's 100 degrees, and you've ridden 100 miles already. I was at 4 and 5 mph for a good stretch of it, but I didn't stop.

The ride finishes up blasting down the big hill on Lake Ridge Parkway from Cedar Hill to the finish. I flew down this road so fast I ended up finishing just 7 minutes behind the group. I finished in 9 hours and 25 minutes. Total miles were 127.0, total climbing was 4500 feet. My on-the-bike average was 15.5 mph. 9 hours and 25 minutes isn't exactly a blazing time for a 200k brevet, but it's faster than I thought I'd be able to do the ride today, and I had no health or mechanical issues, so I was pleased with the ride.
    Last edited by Bud Bent; 06-07-08 at 09:41 PM.
    Bud
    * 2009 RANS XStream
    * 2007 RANS Stratus XP
    * 2006 Bacchetta Corsa
    My Blog - uneasy-rider.com

They told me it's ok to post mileage over in the commuting forum, so you'll probably find me there these days.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My oh my, we've been the busy one, haven't we?

Really great accomplishment. How are you feeling tonight?

Which bike did you ride?
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Radonneuring makes no sense to me.

PLease explain. Be brief.

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I toast your accomplishment with a glass of Bogle Pettit Syrah and will celebrate it with another. Then I'll send you positive vibrations as I take a victory lap for you around the bedroom before falling into a deep and dreamless sleep.

Seriously, well done. A greater accomplishment than I would ever imagine trying.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Weak Link View Post

Don't really know. But here's how it would go down in my house. You ride and ride and ride and ride and ride and ride. Then one day you come home and realize that your wife is serving you with divorce papers and, ironically, perhaps, you will sell your bicycle in an effort to avoid bankruptcy.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good job, Bud! Strength coming back?

Wine Country, 1 hour north of San Francisco
    My Bikes
    Specialized Ruby
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Travis View Post
    Don't really know. But here's how it would go down in my house. You ride and ride and ride and ride and ride and ride. Then one day you come home and realize that your wife is serving you with divorce papers and, ironically, perhaps, you will sell your bicycle in an effort to avoid bankruptcy.
    Jet, is this what's going on with you right now? I'm so sorry. That really, really sucks.
    Embrace diversity: hug a conservative.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TruF View Post
    Jet, is this what's going on with you right now? I'm so sorry. That really, really sucks.
    Thanks for being so considerate, TruF, but believe me, my wife is a saint. She puts up with my five bikes and all the riding I can handle. But to be serious for a moment (not one of my strengths), brevets--especially the longer ones lasting many 100s of miles--require an incredible training commitment. That commitment is more than any non-cycling spouse reasonably should have to put up with, and, come to think of it, more than I would want to be a part of.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Weak Link View Post

RUSA defines randonneuring as follows:

Randonneuring: Randonneuring is long-distance unsupported endurance cycling. This style of riding is non-competitive in nature, and self-sufficiency is paramount.

The rules we follow state that you must follow the given course exactly, and if you accidentally leave the course, you must re-enter it at exactly the same spot, for the ride to count. You stop at predetermined "controls" (they're usually convenience stores on our routes) and get a brevet card signed and dated, to verify your completion of the route. It's an interesting style of riding which I enjoy.
    Last edited by Bud Bent; 06-07-08 at 09:31 PM.
    Bud
    * 2009 RANS XStream
    * 2007 RANS Stratus XP
    * 2006 Bacchetta Corsa

They told me it's ok to post mileage over in the commuting forum, so you'll probably find me there these days.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by big john View Post
    Good job, Bud! Strength coming back?
    I'm still a long ways from where I was last year. I doubt that I'll ever have that strength again. On the other hand, how many 57 year olds can ride 127 miles in a day, at all? I rode 27 miles more than last week, with a .4 mph faster average speed, and an average heart rate of 146, which is one beat less than my average last week. So, I'm still making gains; that can't be bad.
    Bud
    * 2009 RANS XStream
    * 2007 RANS Stratus XP
    * 2006 Bacchetta Corsa

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    My oh my, we've been the busy one, haven't we?

Really great accomplishment. How are you feeling tonight?

Which bike did you ride?
    I am a tired camper this evening, for sure. But I feel good. I rode the Corsa. I think it mixes better with uprights (and mine was the only recumbent on the ride, as often happens), and its dual big wheels do a good job of handling the chipseal I always end up riding on, on the small rural Texas roads our routes favor.
    Bud
    * 2009 RANS XStream
    * 2007 RANS Stratus XP
    * 2006 Bacchetta Corsa

My Bikes
    06 Co-Motion Tandem, Fuji Team Pro mine,-Hers, Specialized Dolce
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is good to hear you are getting out and about Bud. Glad to hear you are enjoying the ride.
    Two blondes walked into a building-You think one of them would have seen it.
    2006 Co-Motion Roadster 2006 Fuji Team Pro, 2005 Specialized Dolce Comp, 2008 Orbea Diva (Red Riders Baby-"The Avocado")
    Custom Simonetti (thanks Steve)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're going to beat the C, bro.