Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

First Crit in 25 Years Tonight

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-08, 09:23 PM

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot U08, unknown MTB circa 1980, '93? Merckx MX-Leader

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Last time I did a crit, no one had heard of brifters. There were rumors of "indexed" shifting. My Peugeot U08, while not "state of the art," was only one generation behind the leading technology. Weighing in at 26 lbs or so wasn't too bad!

Tonight did a fun crit in Drumright, Oklahoma. I ran 1n Class4/5. It is called Speedwheel and is always mid-week in the cross Oklahoma week of fun called Freewheel. I got dropped early but didn't get lapped until lap five (well the leaders' lap six.) Was run on the driving school course for the Vo Tech truck driving school. Smooth and a bit hilly. 90F with 20 mph headwinds.

Still, I loved it. Forgot how fun it is to almost puke for twenty minutes straight!

Tyson
Cushing, Oklahoma
Old 06-11-08, 11:17 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TysonB
...Still, I loved it. Forgot how fun it is to almost puke for twenty minutes straight!
I was going to congratulate you on having a lot of spunk until I read the last sentence...Now I'm unsure whether you got any spunk left.

Anyway, congratulations on your crit. Have you met VeloDiva and Hermes yet?
Old 06-12-08, 09:11 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Crits always made me nervous. I think I've seen more road rash during these races than other road races. Glad you had a good time, and were unscathed at the end.
Old 06-12-08, 08:57 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BSL,

They say about flying that any landing is a good landing where no one is injured. In a GREAT landing, the plane's not even injured.

Sort of the same about crits, no?

This course had only one really hairy turns and there was enough straight that no one was nervous. I actually like the tighter courses better. Rewards those who can maintain speed through the corners or get an early drive. Why I care, is a question for a psychologist.

Tyson
Old 06-12-08, 09:10 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Way to go. What bike did you ride on this crit?

BSL,
They say about flying that any landing is a good landing where no one is injured. In a GREAT landing, the plane's not even injured.
Tyson
There used to be a saying among old pilots: The difference between a three point landing and a one point landing is - after the first, you can fly the airplane again.
Old 06-12-08, 10:05 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Louis,

Rode my 1992-ish Merckx MX-Leader in pink and black Team Telekom colors. I had eight speed brifters (Sora). The package is under 20 lbs and a bit handier than Mimi, the '69 Peugeot. Amazing the difference a stiff frame makes.

(I was really more worried about dinging the bike than I was about bodily road rash. I know . . . silly me.)

Tyson
Old 06-13-08, 10:51 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Louis,
(I was really more worried about dinging the bike than I was about bodily road rash. I know . . . silly me.)
Tyson
yup, I know the feeling.
Old 06-14-08, 08:48 PM

Bikes: mid 80s Ross Centaur converted to Alfine 11 09 motobecane imortal force, 83 Ross Paragon,81 Schwinn LeTour Tourist, 91 Paramount, 93 GT converted to city bike

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Crits

I actually gave it a thought for this season.
Then I went out, watched the wednesday night crits and the course they were run on, took some times for the back of the pack guys and went out on a cool calm morning to do the run myslef.
Came back with the answer I was looking for.
At 65..No.
However; I did get to do a 13 mile (all straight and flat as a level)with a 6mph breeze just off our backs at 24-26mph all the way.
Enough to put a smile on my face for the day.
Figured it wasn't bad for a 65 yo guy on a 17 yo bike.