Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Gray vitamins for the 50+ crowd

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-08, 06:59 AM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts

How could I take any other generic vitamin-mineral supplement?

Old 07-11-08, 09:00 AM

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
When we get into the 50's its time to assess this whole health thing. For me, bike riding really helped healthwise which is my first reason for riding. As we get older, our lifestyle catches up with us and we are kind of forced to change.

I take no supplements. I start out each morning with a home made smoothie concoction. Fruits mixed with vegetables, mostly green leafy for those all important minerals. There's one exception, during the longer bike rides, I take gels and the Hammer brand Endurolyte capsules for electrolyte replenishment.
Old 07-11-08, 05:21 PM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
The numbers of commercials on television for this drug and that med are begining to make me nervous. I remember a lot of mortgage commercials and stock broker commercials a couple of years ago.

I'm not sure that the hiring of advertising people by the drug companies is in our best interest.
Old 07-11-08, 06:40 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
The drug commercials on TV are pretty annoying.
When they mention the four-hour warning about ED drugs, I nudge my stoker/wife and ask "Wouldn't that be great?"
Old 07-11-08, 06:44 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I never took any supplements as of a few years back - but started to as of early last year - a multivitamin, glucosamine and a baby aspirin each day. I even have the daily pill dispenser - man do I feel old. Because I try to run a small calorie defecit to continue my slow weight loss - I figure the vitamins are a good thing, although I don't have joint issues - with the hill climbing I do I don't want to start - so the glucosamine and my PA suggested the aspirin. I use to watch my dad in his 80's loading up his meds for the week - sometimes I feel like I am tunring into him.
Old 07-12-08, 02:16 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Over the years there have been many products for the elder person to boost their energy. I only listen to the ones that will fit in with my life style so A glass of red wine keeps the heart in good condition and so does a bottle of Guinness. Only problem is they don't mention the size of the glass so I reckon a pint will do for the wine and why don't they sell Guinness in quarts?

Spike Milligan
Old 07-12-08, 07:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm with Garfield Cat

Originally Posted by Garfield Cat
When we get into the 50's its time to assess this whole health thing. For me, bike riding really helped healthwise which is my first reason for riding. As we get older, our lifestyle catches up with us and we are kind of forced to change.

I take no supplements. I start out each morning with a home made smoothie concoction. Fruits mixed with vegetables, mostly green leafy for those all important minerals. There's one exception, during the longer bike rides, I take gels and the Hammer brand Endurolyte capsules for electrolyte replenishment.

I'm the same as Garfield Cat. No vitamins and I make homemade smoothies of fruit blended with vegetables.

What I'd like to know more is about GC's gells. Garfield, how do you make your gels? Or do you buy them?

Tony
Old 07-12-08, 07:45 AM

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Sorry, but I don't make the gels. I buy GU. Mostly on sale the whole box when the expiration date gets close.