Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Rodney Strong

Any over 50s who mtn bike the Sierras?

Just curious. I'm 58. New to this site and just wondering.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've ridden a little near Grant Grove, just fire roads, and I love riding at Tahoe. Flume trail and parts of the Tahoe Rim Trail, and over Marlette Peak.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in Verdi, between Reno and Truckee, and I've ridden quite a bit in the mountains between here, Tahoe, Virginia City, Carson City, Loyalton etc. I've switched mainly to road riding the last few years (I'm 63) because that's what most of my friends do (easier on the body, too), but I got my first mountain bike when I was 43, and rode MB almost exclusively until I was in my late 50s.
    I loved it, and I keep threatening to get back in shape and do it seriously again, but I've only done occasional offroad rides the last year or two. I'm a Clyde (6'4", 240), and a few pounds really kicks my butt these days. I've never been a good climber, and back in the early days, a 28t chainring and 28 or 30 rear cog was considered super-low. These days I run a 24-32 and wish for more....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a 22x30 low on my old bike, but my new one has 22x34. It helps because the bike weighs 800 pounds.