Riding my bike
    My Bikes
    Giant TCR C2 / Bianchi "beater"
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cateye DW Sync Woes

After a year of trouble free use, my Cateye Double Wireless (with cadence, if that matters) started to blink signaling the need for new batteries. Now, no one will accuse me of being the best wrench in town but battery replacement is generally well within my skillset. So, armed with new batteries, the manual, a pen to hit the restart buttons, and a coin to open the battery compartments I headed down to the bike this morning.

Physically replacing the batteries was no problem, but now the sending unit will not sync with the head unit! I don't know if its my 50+ fingers (tiny buttons), or my 50+ eyes, or if I'm just losing it (the kids would vote early onset senility), but I just can't get it to work.

Any suggestions so I can use the bloody thing today? Thanks.

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Do you still have the manual( large and complicated ) that came with the unit.

If the batteries are installed in the transmitter correctly, then the first 2 failure points that come to mind are:
    1. Not pressing the reset sync button for more that 5 seconds or untill you see the head unit sync. (I cannot do this with my fingers, requires a sharp tool)
    2. Having the transmitter too close to the head unit while syncing (minimum distance 20cm).

elsewhise, it would seem that if you press the start/enter button on the head and then the sync button on the transmitter within 5 minutes it should sync.
    Just take it

Riding my bike
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the input. Yes, I have the manual (written in at least 3 more languages than I can read... would be nice if only the English version was well organized) and I believe I've followed the instructions to the letter.

Not sure what I'm going to do about it other than send a nastygram to Cateye. Its completely illogical to me that something that was working perfectly would give up the ghost upon changing the batteries, but such is life today I guess.

I'm just venting now and I guess it really doesn't matter - I rode yeaterday and today without it working and if anything, it was more enjoyable without staring at numbers that were always telling me that I wasn't riding fast enough or hard enough.

My Bikes
    '06 Specialized Roubiax Expert, '08 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29, Nishiki frame
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Baftap,

I have a Cateye Double Wireless (CD300DW) as well and am getting ready to change the batteries. In my case it wasn't the battery indicator I noticed, but the fact that the device would suddenly stop registering any changes in cadence/mileage/time. I'll post the results when completed.

BillK
    2006 Specialized Roubaix Expert
    2008 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29

tsl
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it's any consolation, syncing difficulty was the only gripe I had about my CatEye DW w/cadence. That bike was stolen and I've tossed the manual, so I can't help otherwise.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

My Bikes
    Giant OCR T, Trek SC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The manual sucks. it's too hard to read and understand.

have you tried replacing both sets of batteries. Previously I had to replace all 4, last time I only had to replace
    the 2 in the remote sensor.

1. pull off head unit
    2. press reset on head unit for 5 sec
    3. press reset on remote
    It should auto sync. If this fails, write down your info and use the format restart option and then reenter your data.

good luck.

BTW you are not alone, I put off changing batteries for a week because the process is not painless.
    Hi 'o Silver away

Riding my bike
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HiYoSilver View Post

BTW you are not alone, I put off changing batteries for a week because the process is not painless.
    Thanks.... you & others have at least made me feel better that its not just me!

Yes, the manual is awful! I did replace all four. I've been avoiding the format restart since it seems overly draconian, but I may resort to it soon. It just seems like the restart button on the sensor isn't doing anything. The head unit is behaving pretty much as described... I'm thinking I should try something smaller to "push" the button on the sensor. Maybe a paper clip instead of the pen I'm using?

My Bikes
    Giant OCR T, Trek SC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had to make out a cheat sheet:

1. remove head
    2. hold head unit in left hand
    3. twist sensor unit
    4. press reset button on head unit. caution there are two whitish things that look like buttons. One is a button and one is a bolt.
    5. within 30 seconds & press & HOLD sensor reset button for 5 seconds

If you did everything right, the main unit should come on.
    The manual warns about having the units too close, but if i left normal distance there was trouble with syncing. once synced they can handle the distance.

again, good luck.
    Hi 'o Silver away

Riding my bike
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just thought I'd bring this full circle and let you all know that it finally sync'ed!

I had just about given up on it when I decided to poke it one more time as I walked by my bike this afternoon. I didn't do anything different than I had been doing, but after about 10 seconds of holding in the button on the sensor it suddenly sync'ed.

I should probably set the clock and add in the miles it missed, but for right now I'm just going to leave the darn thing alone.

Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions and support..... now, back to riding.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HiYoSilver View Post

have you tried replacing both sets of batteries. Previously I had to replace all 4, last time I only had to replace
    the 2 in the remote sensor.

1. pull off head unit
    2. press reset on head unit for 5 sec
    3. press reset on remote
    It should auto sync. If this fails, write down your info and use the format restart option and then reenter your data.

good luck.

The manual "s***s" can be said true of almost every bike computer manual out there. If I remember correctly on sinc of the CW300 if you hold the receiving unit close to the sending unit when doing the procedure it will work better.