Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finally, Getting a new bike

Went to my LBS last night and purchased a new Lemond Poprad 55cm. I am having the slightly knobby tires taken off and having some Continental Ultra Gatorskin road tires put on for better rolling.

The frame is steel with a carbon fork.

This is the only bike I have ridden so far that was super kind and gentle on all expansion joints in the roads and all the other holes in the road. It was a real delight to ride.

It is a dual crank and hope it will serve me well in California. I can really spin on the lowest gear to go up hills.

It feels comfortable on my neck since I am not all the way down in a racing position yet not all the way up like a comfort bike.

This is such a radical departure from my Trek 520! It is really light too! My 520 is 31 pounds! I haven't weighed the Poprad yet but it feels light.

I will keep the tires that came with the bike and switch them out if I want to ride trails.

Anthing else I'm forgetting? I haven't decided on the clipless pedals yet. They are giving me a free set of cheapo strap in types for now.

Don't have an under seat bag . . . any favorites you like?
    Don't have a speedometer with cadence yet either. Any favorite you like?

This is my Father's Day gift to me since, blush, I'm such a great dad and besides, I doubt my daughter can afford such an expensive gift.

Tony (Michigan)
    Just because God says He will save all mankind does not necessarily mean He won't (1 Tim.2:4-6; 4:10,11)

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Very nice choice. I like the idea of disc brakes on a "road" frame (I like disc's on everything). I guess it was worth wrangling with the fit for a while as this bike is a bit smaller then everyone wanted to predict for you. Ultimately, what feels right is best.

The forum will require pictures at some point in the future as well as a ride report.

You can send pie to all the contributing members for their assistance.

Club Tombay awaits.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Maddmaxx, this is not the one with the disc brakes. That bike is much heavier than this one. They do look similar.

The above pic is what mine looks like. It is about 10 or so pounds lighter I think than the disc braked bike.
    What is really weird about the fit is that the top tube is high enough to put pressure on my you know whats.

I tried several different bikes in a larger sizes (56 and 58) and their top tubes were lower than this one. One had a slight angle downward but the 58 was parallel to the floor and it was lower than this 55.

Pie for everyone? Hmm, what flavor?
    Just because God says He will save all mankind does not necessarily mean He won't (1 Tim.2:4-6; 4:10,11)

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That wedge under the seat- It is very rare that I have to take more than essentials on a bike so mine are just large enough to take the Tube- Repair kit- Multi tool and a couple of tyre levers. Speedo with Cadence? Then you will want a heart rate momitor- SO_____ Go for a Garmin Edge 305. Offers a lot more but is more expensive.

Take it helmet is on your list -Lycra can come later- but Gloves and a cycling specific Shower/ windproof/ Be seen in top jacket will be the best buy at present. Especially if it wraps up small.

Good choice on the bike.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Litespeed Tuscany , Lemond Poprad, 1970's Motobecane Grand Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been looking at cyclocross bikes for a while to use as a commuter / take on vacation bike and the Poprod is on my short list. Please give us some ride reports with pics. I carry a little bigger seat bag than most people, but I like that I can take off my long sleeved shirt and stuff it in it or even a light jacket. I got mine at WalMart and it is a Bell. I pulled the Bell sticker off so everyone won't know how cheap I am. My computer is a Cateye Australe 8 and it has cadence, but not heart rate. I like that you can display the cadence in big numbers or swicth and have the speed in big numbers and cadence in small. I pay more attention to my cadence than my speed.

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love the color!!! Congrats on the new ride...
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for the input.

RoMad I'll check WallMart out. I imagine it would be in their bike section. I just ordered the Cateye Australe 8. I hope it works on flat spokes. I'll just duct tape it on if it doesn't

stapfam, that Garmin Edge 305 is a little more right now than what I want but will keep it in mind for future acqusition.

My Bikes
    2012 Motobecane Ti SRAM Red/2008 Trek Madone SRAM Force
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on the new ride. New bikes are cool, I know...I just got one too.
    The thoughts and opinions expressed by this poster are his own and should not be misconstrued as gospel. They are and were not meant to inflame, enrage or otherwise tick anyone off, usually.
    2012 Ti Motobecane with SRAM Red 2013~2008 Trek Madone with SRAM Force~2010 Specialized Hardrock 29er~2006 Trek 4300~Garmin 800 CTR
    Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What new bike did you just get?

I hope to pick mine up today. Woohoo!

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like a great bike. The combination of slightly relaxed geometry and the OX Platinum steel frame should make for a sweet ride. Enjoy!
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks BluesDawg, the interesting thing with this bike is it has two sets of brake levers. One set on the horns and one set near the middle of the handle bars.

Never had a system like that.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those actually make sense on a cyclocross bike where you might be riding offroad holding the bar tops and need quick access to the brakes. For road riding I think they are like training wheels and most people would develop confidence in using the brakes more quickly without them.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    2012 Motobecane Ti SRAM Red/2008 Trek Madone SRAM Force
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony (Michigan) View Post
    What new bike did you just get?

The Madone 4.5.
    The thoughts and opinions expressed by this poster are his own and should not be misconstrued as gospel. They are and were not meant to inflame, enrage or otherwise tick anyone off, usually.
    2012 Ti Motobecane with SRAM Red 2013~2008 Trek Madone with SRAM Force~2010 Specialized Hardrock 29er~2006 Trek 4300~Garmin 800 CTR
    Mark

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

RoMad I'll check WallMart out. I imagine it would be in their bike section. I just ordered the Cateye Australe 8. I hope it works on flat spokes. I'll just duct tape it on if it doesn't

stapfam, that Garmin Edge 305 is a little more right now than what I want but will keep it in mind for future acqusition.
    Tony....if the magnet doesn't work on bladed spokes the send me a PM as I have a spare cateye magnet here for that purpose. If however you get a cateye magnet that has a shallow u shaped back piece with a half round spoke hole at one end then the other end is for use on a bladed spoke. If necessary, I can take picture of that for explanation.

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee View Post
    Love the color!!! Congrats on the new ride...
    That's a black-and-white picture. It's actually yellow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This morning I took my new LeMond out for a spin. Don't have my speedometer with cadance yet but I would guestimate around 90 cadance.
    After about 15 minutes into the ride my right hand fell asleep. I had to drop it to my side and shake it awhile to wake it up. Don't know what's up with that.
    My Trek 520 seat is a lot harder. The LeMond is sort of a racing seat with a little gell? in it.

The difference between this 21 pound bike compared to my 31 pound touring bike is day and night.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This morning I took my new LeMond out for a spin. Don't have my speedometer with cadance yet but I would guestimate around 90 cadance.
    After about 15 minutes into the ride my right hand fell asleep. I had to drop it to my side and shake it awhile to wake it up. Don't know what's up with that.
    My Trek 520 seat is a lot harder. The LeMond is sort of a racing seat with a little gell? in it.

The difference between this 21 pound bike compared to my 31 pound touring bike is day and night.
    It may take a bit of getting used to before you are completely comfortable on the drop bar. Ride for a few weeks, practice moving your hands around to the different areas available for use....hoods, bar top, elbows where the bar sweeps forward from the top and even the drops. If after a while, the hands are still going numb then it can be a simple as a glove swap or perhaps a slight raising of the bar. You will know more in a couple of weeks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maddmax, thanks for what you wrote. But I don't understand this part you wrote: ". . . elbows where the bar sweeps forward from the top and even the drops."

I don't understand the above quote. Can you elaborate?

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It is quite appropriate to place your hands on the curved forward portions of the bars at the end of the flat section on top. (what I called the elbow.....not necessarily the official term). It gives another angle for your hands to be at to keep the blood circulating.

This is touted as one of the good features of drop bars. The various curves and angles provide lots of different places to put your hands. Moving from place to place as necessary may help with the hand numbness.

The drops are the deep lower part of the bar. Most people use that portion of the bar for performance, ie a more aero position of the body for speed runs or traveling into headwind. You can go there sometimes to stretch the back.

Experiment a bit. Use whatever fits.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh! That elbow! Now it all makes sense. Yea, I am always changing position. On a stiff frontal wind I often go to the drops and changs between the horns and the elbows and in between the elbows. I rarely go into the drops but this morning before work I was getting a good wind hitting me head on so I went to the drops for a while. I only had time to do an 8 mile circuit and finished it way faster than I ever did on my 520. I guess it was good to work out on the heavier bike first.

Quote Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
    It is quite appropriate to place your hands on the curved forward portions of the bars at the end of the flat section on top. (what I called the elbow.....not necessarily the official term). It gives another angle for your hands to be at to keep the blood circulating.

This is touted as one of the good features of drop bars. The various curves and angles provide lots of different places to put your hands. Moving from place to place as necessary may help with the hand numbness.

The drops are the deep lower part of the bar. Most people use that portion of the bar for performance, ie a more aero position of the body for speed runs or traveling into headwind. You can go there sometimes to stretch the back.

Experiment a bit. Use whatever fits.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find it interesting that you are experiencing hand issues, given that both bikes are drop bar road bikes, yeah even both being traditional geometry road bikes. Are the drops set up in a significantly different way on the 520? Are they higher in relationship to the saddle position on it as compared to the new bike?
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Cateye Magnet has two types of fitting- providing you have the latest magnet that has been around over here for a couple of years. Either side of the screw are a round one- For round spokes obviously and a flat section for the blades spokes.

And on the Garmin- still say it is the best I have had but the figures do get a bit small for my eyes.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, I'll check out the magnet when it comes.

The LBS put on a cheap set of plastic pedals with strap ins. I don't know if I should just take the old spd pedals off my Trek 520 and put them on the new bike or not. Decisions! I like being clipped into the pedal rather than strapped. Just gotta scrape some more money together.
    Anybody know of some good spd pedals that can also take regular shoes on the flip side? My clipless on my 520 have a plastic platform clipped into the clippless on the back side.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The PD-M324 is the pure mountain version and the PD-A530 is the sport road version of the pedal with clipin on one side and regular shoe on the other. Both use the standard SPD mountain cleat although I like the optional -56 multiangle release cleat (the gold one). Unfortunately, this cleat comes at an extra price.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...I don't know if I should just take the old spd pedals off my Trek 520 and put them on the new bike or not...
    Congratulations on the new bike. But, you're not going to dump the 520 or turn it into a no-op, are you? That's a great bike with around-the-world touring capability.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast